• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating Top City Comics
12 12

891 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Cal and Stu while unusual at best, keep the wheels in motion;)  One day maybe they will meet in person and hug it out.

I think that would be like matter and anti-matter coming into contact.

1 minute ago, Jeffro. said:
  4 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Cal and Stu while unusual at best, keep the wheels in motion;)  One day maybe they will meet in person and hug it out.

1 minute ago, Jeffro. said:

I think that would be like matter and anti-matter coming into contact.

I didn't say I'd like to be in the same ROOM;) but maybe watching on TV...they could be guests on WandaVision or something;)

I once asked Stu about dialing it down with someone, I don't remember who, it was about 20 years ago...I think it might have been Cal. I do remember what he said, it was something about if they were in H.S. that they would have just gone behind the gym and worked it out and that it would have been fine later.

I wouldn't have wanted to be watching behind the gym, either;)

Good morning everyone. I would like to start today by thanking everyone who is here, and everyone contributing to the conversation in a meaningful way (The memes are meaningful and always welcome). I am very thankful for everyone who has shown me support, and it means way more to me than I can ever express with typed or spoken words. I am also thankful to those who have criticized my decisions, as I am also here to learn from this mistake to ensure I never find myself in a situation close to this again. I knew before posting here that I was not 100% clean in this situation, but I still have confidence that anyone who reads this thread in its entirety will be able to see what transpired here. I always strive for 100% professionalism, and still do not believe I have done anything to warrant people being skeptical to interact with me. It is a risk I took when I posted here, and I do not regret it. Anyone that does read this and chooses not to deal with me, that is their choice and I will respect it. I have made my choices, and I still stand by them. I am confident that anyone who has ever dealt with me, and has the displease to read all of this, will still be my friends and clients tomorrow. If anyone reading this is a friend that feels otherwise, my heart would be sad, but we must live by and pay for every decision we choose to make. I see no reason to not reach a conclusion now and move forward. I eagerly await putting this interaction behind me, and moving on to a new and positive experience with someone else by this evening. Adrian, please accept terms to reach conclusion here. I want it, and everyone wants it.

11 hours ago, Red84 said:

Polonsky has just admitted that he never sent Top City his shipping address. He only included the address in the envelope with the check so @Top City Comicscould not have shipped before the check arrived due to @Polonsky 's oversight.

Thanks.  Then if Top City planned to ship on Jan 19, as it appears he promised, wouldn't he contact the buyer for his address information?

4 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Another moral of the story, don’t enter into transactions for third parties. 

I have this written in my terms of sale. 

35 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Thanks.  Then if Top City planned to ship on Jan 19, as it appears he promised, wouldn't he contact the buyer for his address information?

I don't think he ever intended to do that. And in fact "couldn't" as he didn't eve have shipping supplies on that day. But there is also the fact on how slow the buyer was to respond to the question about his address. How urgent could it possibly have been if it took him a week to confirm the right address?

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

Actually Adrian I wish you had posted the envelope so we could see what you were talking about, the fact that you didn't concerns me.

10 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

@Top City ComicsCan you kindly post the envelope showing the return address and the note? Cover the name and City/State, but it would help to see the PO box number. That might help clarify the issue.

Thank you.

The fact that Top City has responded to almost everything and has blatantly ignored these requests for a photo of the envelope is very troubling. If the legibility is not what he purports it would cast a further shadow on all his statements. I don’t feel Polonsky has done anything wrong either by trying to cancel before the books were sent as the original terms of the deal weren’t met by the seller.  (For the life of me I can’t understand why a BUYER would choose to send a check when PayPal, with all its buyer protections, is an option ???). That said, given my reading of events, the probation request is premature until at least Feb 20. 

21 minutes ago, Red84 said:

I agree that he should have. 
I also think it was unreasonable for the buyer to change his mind and ask for a refund 2 weeks after the deal was agreed to. The deal was agreed to on the 18th and buyer demanded a refund on the 1st. It is not lost on me that in the interim the buyer’s own third party client backed out. While buyer claims he would have been happy to keep the books even if his third party client backed out, the fact that buyer chose to cancel the deal 2 weeks after agreeing to it, but only after his own client backed out, looms over this entire transaction. 
As I said before, both parties made mistakes, but I think buyer had no right to cancel the deal when he did. 

It can be shown in time stamp that I backed out 12 days after my client did. I sent the check after my client had backed out. I did not in any way immediately back out or try to in any way.

I sent the check out the 18th. I was told he would be shipping the next day. I was not informed that he did not have my address or could not read it until 2/2, about 5 days after he recived the check, and after I had already canceled. It seemed to me like he was trying to turn it around on me instantly.

Just now, Polonsky said:

I sent the check out the 18th. I was told he would be shipping the next day. I was not informed that he did not have my address or could not read it until 2/2, about 5 days after he recived the check, and after I had already canceled. It seemed to me like he was trying to turn it around on me instantly.

about 2 weeks after he agreed to ship and said he would, and after I canceled, he now tells me the issue was my poor hand writing. He mad zero effort to get my address, and it was simple oversight on my part. He also had no means to ship my comics when he agreed to, and no idea when he would be able to.

I recently found a personal grail on the boards, and purchased it. I was so excited to get it. The seller requested between 1 -2 weeks to ship for personal reasons and I said "No Problem". I feel I am very understanding and easy to work with. I have given many people extra time when requested, and have never denied any request for extra time. Adrian was in a car crash and could have happily requested more time, and I asked if he needed some to recover, and he said he was fine and would ship 1/19. Simple communication from Adrian I think could have avoided a lot of this. I found his communication to be lacking, and when it was there is was seeded with manipulation to close a deal he might have felt would not happen if he had been open about his situation.

5 minutes ago, Polonsky said:

I recently found a personal grail on the boards, and purchased it. I was so excited to get it. The seller requested between 1 -2 weeks to ship for personal reasons and I said "No Problem". I feel I am very understanding and easy to work with. I have given many people extra time when requested, and have never denied any request for extra time. Adrian was in a car crash and could have happily requested more time, and I asked if he needed some to recover, and he said he was fine and would ship 1/19. Simple communication from Adrian I think could have avoided a lot of this. I found his communication to be lacking, and when it was there is was seeded with manipulation to close a deal he might have felt would not happen if he had been open about his situation.

I appreciate that you are forthcoming and trying to answer questions. Could you clarify for me on what day and for what exact reason you decided to cancel the deal and ask for a refund. 

15 minutes ago, Polonsky said:

about 2 weeks after he agreed to ship and said he would, and after I canceled, he now tells me the issue was my poor hand writing. He mad zero effort to get my address, and it was simple oversight on my part. He also had no means to ship my comics when he agreed to, and no idea when he would be able to.

Sorry, but I think you unduly minimizing the significance of this. 

Not providing your address in the private message made it impossible for the seller to comply with your request for immediate shipping.  

Yes, if the seller was willing to ship on the 19th he could have immediately asked for your address. But this was your condition, not his.  If it was so important to you to get the books as fast as possible to flip them to your client, the responsibility to get him your address is on you. 

Additionally, the lack of address is such a problem because of - to be perfectly frank - your unreasonable request to have the books shipped the same day you put your check in the mail.  Like Buzz, I’m surprised the seller would even agree to this, and would never agree to it myself. 

The seller could equally argue that not having boxes was ‘a simple oversight’ but you seem to feel that’s a pretty significant contribution to the problem. 

I think your downplaying the role your request and lack of pertinent information played in this. 

47 minutes ago, Red84 said:

I agree that he should have. 
I also think it was unreasonable for the buyer to change his mind and ask for a refund 2 weeks after the deal was agreed to. The deal was agreed to on the 18th and buyer demanded a refund on the 1st. It is not lost on me that in the interim the buyer’s own third party client backed out. While buyer claims he would have been happy to keep the books even if his third party client backed out, the fact that buyer chose to cancel the deal 2 weeks after agreeing to it, but only after his own client backed out, looms over this entire transaction. 
As I said before, both parties made mistakes, but I think buyer had no right to cancel the deal when he did. 

Agree, I think the loss of the flip is more of a factor than the buyer is admitting to. 

The only reason I can think of for wanting immediate shipment typical of electronic payment while simultaneously paying by check through snail-mail is to get the books to the “client” while avoiding fees to squeeze every last penny out of the flip. 

According to the buyer’s narrative in the first post, his marked dissatisfaction and increased “red flags” seem to happen at approximately the time his “client” finds the book somewhere else. 

3 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

while avoiding fees

Not sure this is accurate. It’s not the buyer avoiding fees by paying with check it’s the seller who avoids the fees. Seller offered to allow payment by PayPal with no sign he gave any discount for check.

10 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Sorry, but I think you unduly minimizing the significance of this. 

Not providing your address in the private message made it impossible for the seller to comply with your request for immediate shipping.  

Yes, if the seller was willing to ship on the 19th he could have immediately asked for your address. But this was your condition, not his.  If it was so important to you to get the books as fast as possible to flip them to your client, the responsibility to get him your address is on you. 

Additionally, the lack of address is such a problem because of - to be perfectly frank - your unreasonable request to have the books shipped the same day you put your check in the mail.  Like Buzz, I’m surprised the seller would even agree to this, and would never agree to it myself. 

The seller could equally argue that not having boxes was ‘a simple oversight’ but you seem to feel that’s a pretty significant contribution to the problem. 

I think your downplaying the role your request and lack of pertinent information played in this. 

I am just highlighting this because I am having a hard time following the timeline cause and effect in this transaction. Putting aside the "ask" itself, why cannot the two parties communicate in real time via PM for the sake of clarifying the shipping address? Why is it that the seller is relying on an address scribbled on a sheet of paper? Can someone help me understand the timeline?