• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating Top City Comics
12 12

891 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Not sure this is accurate. It’s not the buyer avoiding fees by paying with check it’s the seller who avoids the fees. Seller offered to allow payment by PayPal with no sign he gave any discount for check.

True, I suppose I’m assuming there was a further discount for paying with check. 

I’m just struggling to understand why you’d pay with check when you need immediate shipment and electronic payment would be to your advantage. 

19 minutes ago, crassus said:

I am just highlighting this because I am having a hard time following the timeline cause and effect in this transaction. Putting aside the "ask" itself, why cannot the two parties communicate in real time via PM for the sake of clarifying the shipping address? Why is it that the seller is relying on an address scribbled on a sheet of paper? Can someone help me understand the timeline? 

If I’m following, the buyer thought he included his address in the PM conversation. 

At some point - before or after the payment arrived I’m not sure - the seller tells the buyer he doesn’t yet have boxes so won’t be able to ship. At the point the seller doesn’t think to ask for the address (presumably because he has no way to ship) and the buyer still thinks the seller has the address both in the payment letter and in the PM. 

The seller packs the books up when he has boxes but doesn’t actually look for the address until he’s taking the check to the bank to be deposited. This is the point where the seller claims the written address is illegible and needs clarification.  If I’m understanding correctly, the buyer doesn’t respond immediately out of irritation but doesn’t double-check his PMs to see if he had sent the address earlier as he thought (and would be necessary for the immediate shipping he wanted). 

I don’t know if that clarifies things or not. 

Edited by Number 6

11 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

If I’m following, the buyer thought he included his address in the PM conversation. 

At some point - before or after the payment arrived I’m not sure - the seller tells the buyer he doesn’t yet have boxes so won’t be able to ship. At the point the seller doesn’t think to ask for the address (presumably because he has no way to ship) and the buyer still thinks the seller has the address both in the payment letter and in the PM. 

The seller packs the books up when he has boxes but doesn’t actually look for the address until he’s taking the check to the bank to be deposited. This is the point where the seller claims the written address is illegible and needs clarification.  If I’m understanding correctly, the buyer doesn’t respond immediately out of irritation but doesn’t double-check his PMs to see if he had sent the address earlier as he thought (and would be necessary for the immediate shipping he wanted). 

This is all accurate. He only claimed he could not read the address after I had already canceled. I had mailed the check 2 weeks earlier, and he had it for 5 days without telling me there was no shipping address, while every day I assumed the package was on the way to me. I did not immedialty respond to his message about the address due to irritation, but more so that he claimed he could not read my writing. It really seemed like a poor attempt to turn this around on me, and make it my fault he was 2 weeks behind.  I do think my envelope and letter should be posted here. They might prove my handwriting was bad, but I would like to see. I do admit I am always learning, and may have to phase out checks. I'm just following what my Dad taught me, but I do agree not all of his methods are 2021. Adrian had requested Paypal FF or venmo. I have had issues with paypal FF in the past in ways that a check would not. This is from experience. I don't have venmo. I would like to return the trust he was giving me by shipping in advance, but it did seem we were on the same page and there was no issue. I appreciated the trust at the time, but now see he really had no intentions of doing so.

4 minutes ago, Polonsky said:

This is all accurate. He only claimed he could not read the address after I had already canceled. I had mailed the check 2 weeks earlier, and he had it for 5 days without telling me there was no shipping address, while every day I assumed the package was on the way to me. I did not immedialty respond to his message about the address due to irritation, but more so that he claimed he could not read my writing. It really seemed like a poor attempt to turn this around on me, and make it my fault he was 2 weeks behind.  I do think my envelope and letter should be posted here. They might prove my handwriting was bad, but I would like to see. I do admit I am always learning, and may have to phase out checks. I'm just following what my Dad taught me, but I do agree not all of his methods are 2021. Adrian had requested Paypal FF or venmo. I have had issues with paypal FF in the past in ways that a check would not. This is from experience. I don't have venmo. I would like to return the trust he was giving me by shipping in advance, but it did seem we were on the same page and there was no issue. I appreciated the trust at the time, but now see he really had no intentions of doing so.

So he wasn’t just offer PayPal, he was asking for PayPal Friends and Family? Hence, the check?

So would it be fair to say there was, in a roundabout way, a discount being offered based on method of payment?

43 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Yes it does, very much and many thanks :foryou:

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

So he wasn’t just offer PayPal, he was asking for PayPal Friends and Family? Hence, the check?

So would it be fair to say there was, in a roundabout way, a discount being offered based on method of payment?

1 hour ago, wombat said:

More of a mess. The seller was not offering any method of payment that would include buyer protection. 

I made no push to get him to use a fee-free method...sending payment by check was his choice.  I simply stated that I could sell him the books at my own cost if he covered shipping & fees (so I wouldn't be taking a loss), it was his idea to send a check to avoid the fees, and no, I normally don't deal in checks...literally one out of every 50-100 incoming payments is sent via check.

1 minute ago, Top City Comics said:

I made no push to get him to use a fee-free method...sending payment by check was his choice.  I simply stated that I could sell him the books at my own cost if he covered shipping & fees (so I wouldn't be taking a loss), it was his idea to send a check to avoid the fees, and no, I normally don't deal in checks...literally one out of every 50-100 incoming payments is sent via check.

Did you offer Paypal goods and services or only friends and family?

2 minutes ago, wombat said:

Did you offer Paypal goods and services or only friends and family?

I offered to take any payment method as long as he covered the fees & shipping to get me to the break-even mark...

I literally offered to sell these 3 books to him at my exact cost...even taking a small loss on the 3rd book ($20-$25ish I believe) just to get the deal done.

Edited by Top City Comics

2 hours ago, Polonsky said:

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

This is not actually accurate...it is a spin on what actually happened.

I took the check to the bank on the 1st of February in the afternoon...I then went home to get packages ready for shipping as boxes had arrived over the weekend (thanks to a push from my mailman to dig me out a small batch from the local P.O.)...I only use the 1095 style boxes from the USPS, as they fit the most packaging & it's the way I've gotten accustomed to doing it safely...I got at least 4-5 packages done...I then went on to printing labels before leaving for the post office...I gave myself 20-25 minutes (or about 5 minutes per label) to do so.  I dug for his note when it was time to get his label printed....that's the first time I noticed the handwriting being illegible...it was only 1 number, but I couldn't discern between the 2nd number in his P.O. Box, so I left that package for later (was pushing out 5-10 packages a day that week).  Once I got home & ate I fell asleep on the couch for a bit, as I was still recuperating & pretty much every time I sat down I fell asleep.  I woke up around 11-12 that night & started back on work stuff, which is when I went to message Lee about the address only to find that he had already messaged me an hour or so earlier about canceling the purchase.  I then let him know that it was just the not knowing his full address part that held me back from having them out earlier that day.  I just wasn't willing to guess on the PO Box # on a package of this value.

And yes, I will dig for the note that he wrote as it has been requested multiple times.  Pretty sure I tossed the envelope, as it had a completely different address.  I also think I probably crumbled that piece of paper out of anger at some point, but I will do my best to see if it's still in my office somewhere. 

31 minutes ago, Top City Comics said:

I offered to take any payment method as long as he covered the fees & shipping to get me to the break-even mark...

I literally offered to sell these 3 books to him at my exact cost...even taking a small loss on the 3rd book ($20-$25ish I believe) just to get the deal done.

Did you fly over Niagara Falls in a barrel whilst fixing a loose fascia board with a mastic bonding gun?

5 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Actually Adrian I wish you had posted the envelope so we could see what you were talking about, the fact that you didn't concerns me.

I didn't think I needed it once I told him the issue...but I might still have it in my office somewhere.  I believe I at least threw the envelope out because it had a completely different address on it.  Pretty sure I crumpled it out of anger & threw it across the room at some point, but it was written on a small piece of yellow paper so I will look for it today.

31 minutes ago, Top City Comics said:

I didn't think I needed it once I told him the issue...but I might still have it in my office somewhere.  I believe I at least threw the envelope out because it had a completely different address on it.  Pretty sure I crumpled it out of anger & threw it across the room at some point, but it was written on a small piece of yellow paper so I will look for it today.

Since the envelope was different, just the paper is pertinent.