• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238 prices going WAY up
3 3

140 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2021 at 12:43 PM, the blob said:

Hobgoblin was spidey's main adversary for about 4 years and then he got moved over to second tier. But yeah, he's not green goblin or venom in terms of pop culture.

Exactly right. He has since fallen into even more obscurity when the Green Goblin reappeared and rightfully reclaimed his spot as THE Spidey villain.

On 2/15/2021 at 8:53 AM, Poekaymon said:

What in the hell.  I had a hard time selling this book for $1000 about 6 months ago.

This book was well in excess of $1K six months ago.

However, it did drop below $1K briefly a year ago before its recent run up.

Edited by jjonahjameson11

16 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Exactly right. He has since fallen into even more obscurity when the Green Goblin reappeared and rightfully reclaimed his spot as THE Spidey villain.

Those of us who grew up in the 80s may have an outsized sense of the Hobgoblin's importance, because his storyline consumed the Spider-Man titles for those few years.

"Who IS the Hobgoblin?"

The market doesn't seem to be taking out Marvel botching the ending on ASM #238 itself.  The book has some nostalgic appeal to collectors our age, I believe.

I myself have just joined the club, though nowhere near that 9.8 level.  :whee:

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Virginia Romita is the wife of John Romita Sr and mother to John Romita Jr.

She worked at Marvel Comics for just over 20 years as 'Traffic Manager', an affectionate title bestowed upon her as the primary resource responsible for scheduled/following up with writers/artists on their scripts and work to minimize/ensure no delays occurred with handing in the work.

Virginia also appeared in the Marvel Comics universe several times, including:

• Uncanny X-Men Annual #7 (1983, 1st Appearance)
  • Saga of Crystar #5
  • Spiderman 89 (1990)
  • Marvel Age #111 cover 
  • & others that I cannot recall at the moment

She is listed in a handful of Marvel Publications (most notably those where her husband and son were the art team) as Traffic Manger in the credits/title page, including...ASM 238, ASM Annual 16, and others I cannot recall at the moment.

pZ4BtuLBCHyboU_YZpJPCylT55cSl5oBkfhX4uerh5hjj0diu7H343rdAwJXdF7dpnM-9ciScCAi=s1600

Hey a bonus!!  First black costume on splash page.

41 minutes ago, Savoyard23 said:

Those of us who grew up in the 80s may have an outsized sense of the Hobgoblin's importance, because his storyline consumed the Spider-Man titles for those few years.

"Who IS the Hobgoblin?"

The market doesn't seem to be taking out Marvel botching the ending on ASM #238 itself.  The book has some nostalgic appeal to collectors our age, I believe.

This book was stagnant for a loooooong time prior to 2019.  I'm not sure why, but it started creeping upwards by mid 2019, and except for a small blip downwards last year, its continued a strong run up.  I think some of it has to do with people coming to the realization that 9.8's aren't as easy as previously thought because the tattoos were often removed.  I'm certain its impacted a large number of copies that would have otherwise graded higher, but that still can't be the underlying cause of the huge price escalation this past year or so.

5 hours ago, Savoyard23 said:

"Who IS the Hobgoblin?"

Yup.  I started collecting by buying ASM 260 off of the stands.  During the next 2-3 years, it was really tough sledding as a Spiderman fan.  The books were pretty darn bad until Kraven’s last hunt and the McFarlane era.  The Hobgoblin appearances were about all there was to like in that period.  The Hobgoblin triggers my nostalgia in a way that few other characters do.

I will always own a copy of ASM 238.  I think the book is awesome, although I probably wouldn’t recommend it as a book to buy for investment potential, as I think it depends on our specific nostalgia.

I don’t get spending thousands for a plastic 9.8 though.  

On 2/17/2021 at 1:04 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

This book was well in excess of $1K six months ago.

However, it did drop below $1K briefly a year ago before its recent run up.

I'm sure there were sales over 1k, but I do know that I tried to sell one on here less than a year ago for $1k and no one took it.  Ended up selling it on Ebay and I think I got $1100.  This was around last summer.  Might have been unlucky and on the low end, but either way, it's quite a run up on an unexpected book, imo.   

2 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

I'm sure there were sales over 1k, but I do know that I tried to sell one on here less than a year ago for $1k and no one took it.  Ended up selling it on Ebay and I think I got $1100.  This was around last summer.  Might have been unlucky and on the low end, but either way, it's quite a run up on an unexpected book, imo.   

There are many times when I tried to sell books here for less than GPA with no takers.  then I list it on ebay or Heritage and it sells for significantly more...happens all the time.

BUT, just because you couldn't get $1K for it here, that doesn't mean it wasn't selling for more elsewhere.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

There are many times when I tried to sell books here for less than GPA with no takers.  then I list it on ebay or Heritage and it sells for significantly more...happens all the time.

BUT, just because you couldn't get $1K for it here, that doesn't mean it wasn't selling for more elsewhere.

Oh, I'm very aware.  That's why I said "might have been unlucky and on the low end, but either way, it's quite a run up."  :makepoint::)

Just had a look at recorded sales and there are plenty of $1000-$1100 sales last summer.  In any case it seems pointless to quibble about a few hundred bucks.  Bottom line is that the lifetime high was around $1500 5 months ago, so if we're talking $3500+ now, that's an impressive run up.

Edited by Poekaymon

9 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

Oh, I'm very aware.  That's why I said "might have been unlucky and on the low end, but either way, it's quite a run up."  :makepoint::)

Just had a look at recorded sales and there are plenty of $1000-$1100 sales last summer.  In any case it seems pointless to quibble about a few hundred bucks.  Bottom line is that the lifetime high was around $1500 5 months ago, so if we're talking $3500+ now, that's an impressive run up.

The $3.5K+ is one singular sale of a Newsstand copy.  

A direct copy would sell for maybe $2.2-$2.5K today, which is a lot less than the Newsstand, but still a significant spike from last summer's prices.

Just wondering whose buying at these prices? :tonofbricks: 

26 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The $3.5K+ is one singular sale of a Newsstand copy.  

A direct copy would sell for maybe $2.2-$2.5K today, which is a lot less than the Newsstand, but still a significant spike from last summer's prices.

Ahem.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Amazing-Spiderman-238-CGC-9-8-WHITE-pages/164698985398?hash=item2658d313b6:g:A8kAAOSwoW5gJbWD

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Probably the same speculators who brought Spidey 300 at something like $2K last year and were then able to successfully flip them out for $5K this year.  :whee:  :banana:

Just maybe, they are hoping for a similar repeat type performance from Spidey 238.  hm  :wishluck:

On 2/17/2021 at 1:20 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Virginia Romita is the wife of John Romita Sr and mother to John Romita Jr.

She worked at Marvel Comics for just over 20 years as 'Traffic Manager', an affectionate title bestowed upon her as the primary resource responsible for scheduled/following up with writers/artists on their scripts and work to minimize/ensure no delays occurred with handing in the work.

Virginia also appeared in the Marvel Comics universe several times, including:

• Uncanny X-Men Annual #7 (1983, 1st Appearance)
  • Saga of Crystar #5
  • Spiderman 89 (1990)
  • Marvel Age #111 cover 
  • & others that I cannot recall at the moment

She is listed in a handful of Marvel Publications (most notably those where her husband and son were the art team) as Traffic Manger in the credits/title page, including...ASM 238, ASM Annual 16, and others I cannot recall at the moment.

pZ4BtuLBCHyboU_YZpJPCylT55cSl5oBkfhX4uerh5hjj0diu7H343rdAwJXdF7dpnM-9ciScCAi=s1600

I think this is what the kids refer to when they say "You got served"

5 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

And.... I think this copy out sold the newsstand copy that was sold a few days before this one.

You are correct (thumbsu

seems as though these leaps in prices are occurring more frequently. 

what was eye-popping, jaw-dropping prices hikes only a few months ago is now the norm.

59 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Another price jump, this is nuts

B4580061-7E02-4C05-836D-4A70B2D4EFA9.jpeg

i think dekekelrlekrlelreste, or whatever his name is here, said it best, when he said he is bearish on anything ever making sense again. so many books are seeing weekly price doubling just now. $2500 was already insane for this book a month or two ago, now this. 

3 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i think dekekelrlekrlelreste, or whatever his name is here, said it best, when he said he is bearish on anything ever making sense again. so many books are seeing weekly price doubling just now. $2500 was already insane for this book a month or two ago, now this. 

Yup, as an average collector I take caution on bidding on books that high, 8 months ago it was a $950 book.