• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238 prices going WAY up
3 3

140 posts in this topic

Below is one of two copies I purchased around 2003. It was obvious that it was going to be a CGC 9.6 because of the back cover. I have not submitted the other copy nor the, approximately, 15-20 (plus ?) copies that I purchased off the shelf at my LCS and newsstand.

2945571_Full_Obv.jpg?t=OS83LzIwMTggMjo1ODoxMyBQTQ%3d%3d

2945571_Full_Rev.jpg?t=OS83LzIwMTggMjo1ODoxMyBQTQ%3d%3d

13 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I think time will show that savvy speculators are the ones buying these books...if they sell in time.

If they were that savvy, should they not have been buying it when it was $200-$300 ? O.o

47 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

If they were that savvy, should they not have been buying it when it was $200-$300 ? O.o

No, that would just make them old, like me :foryou:

Savvy folks can still get in now and flip books for profit.  Just depends if you want to make a quick nickel or a slow dime.

6 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

might have get my 238 graded with prices these days👍‼️😷😷

while you're at it, get an avatar too! over 5,000 posts but your picture is still a generic white silhouette? 

Edited by www.alexgross.com

On 3/1/2021 at 9:11 AM, batmiesta said:

I bought my very nice raw copy for $2.

It was sometime in the 80s.  I couldn't find a copy locally, so I had to mail order my copy.  Unlike many of the books I mail ordered back in the day, I got a really nice copy.

Collecting has gotten a lot easier, albeit a lot more expensive.

1 minute ago, Hamlet said:

I bought my very nice raw copy for $2.

It was sometime in the 80s.  I couldn't find a copy locally, so I had to mail order my copy.  Unlike many of the books I mail ordered back in the day, I got a really nice copy.

Collecting has gotten a lot easier, albeit a lot more expensive.

But, would you pay $4000 for it ? 

8 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

But, would you pay $4000 for it ? 

Nope.  I'm generally pretty content with a book in the VF range, so I'm never going to pay huge money for a CGC 9.x copy.  I honestly don't buy many graded books.  The ones that I do buy are mostly older mid-grade books that are expensive enough that I want to have the restoration check.

If I didn't already own a copy, I'd probably buy the nicest raw copy I could get for $200-$300 and call it good.

I would say that if I was to get my collection down to just a single box, I would still keep a copy of this book.  Honestly, I'd get rid of ASM 300 before this one.  This one pushes all of my nostalgia buttons.  

4 hours ago, Hamlet said:

This one pushes all of my nostalgia buttons.  

For me, it has nothing to due with Hobgoblin.

It's just one of the 4 or 5 issues between 200 and 300 that has the same kind of fantastic cover that I grew up falling in love with in the early 70s.

229 is another one. Amazingly, 210 happens to be another.

9 hours ago, sledgehammer said:
14 hours ago, Hamlet said:

This one pushes all of my nostalgia buttons.  

For me, it has nothing to due with Hobgoblin.

It's just one of the 4 or 5 issues between 200 and 300 that has the same kind of fantastic cover that I grew up falling in love with in the early 70s.

229 is another one. Amazingly, 210 happens to be another.

Yeah, I simply don't see how people can collect entire runs of comic books considering how expensive they were.  (shrug)

The only one that I have in the entire 200 Spidey run is this Spidey 238 and then it jumps all the way up to Spidey 298 right through to the end of the McFarlane run.  (thumbsu :luhv:

Likewise, the only issues I have in the entire 100 Spidey run is Spidey 101, 121, 122, 129, 135, and that's about it.  The Spidey's 121 and 122 were clearly the biggies back then, but definitely not so much nowadays.  :(

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yeah, I simply don't see how people can collect entire runs of comic books considering how expensive they were.  (shrug)

The only one that I have in the entire 200 Spidey run is this Spidey 238 and then it jumps all the way up to Spidey 298 right through to the end of the McFarlane run.  (thumbsu :luhv:

Likewise, the only issues I have in the entire 100 Spidey run is Spidey 101, 121, 122, 129, 135, and that's about it.  The Spidey's 121 and 122 were clearly the biggies back then, but definitely not so much nowadays.  :(

I collected multiple runs of ASM 1-328 (stopped cold turkey once Erik Larsen took on penciling duties).  Whenever I could afford to do so, I purchased as many 1st appearance books as possible.  In particular, ASM 50, 129, 194, 238, 252, 300, and also, ASM 100 because its my favorite cover.

I owned 1-800 and finished it two years ago. The real shocking part was it only took year and half to do . With prices like the way they are it’s next to impossible and a waste of time and cash to build a run now , as today’s collectors want keys. This issue 238 is actually very hard to come by in pedigree grade so you have to pay . Even more difficult to find in 9.8 is 75 cent Canadian version of this . I live in Canada and have an entire run of 1980s ASM in Canadian price variants . These are near impossible to find even up here in nm+. The 238 is a big book in 1980s run I’m actually not surprised at its climb. Long overdue and he’s a major Spider rogue. 

Edited by Subby1938

12 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

I owned 1-800 and finished it two years ago. The real shocking part was it only took year and half to do . With prices like the way they are it’s next to impossible and a waste of time and cash to build a run now , as today’s collectors want keys. This issue 238 is actually very hard to come by in pedigree grade so you have to pay . Even more difficult to find in 9.8 is 75 cent Canadian version of this . I live in Canada and have an entire run of 1980s ASM in Canadian price variants . These are near impossible to find even up here in nm+. The 238 is a big book in 1980s run I’m actually not surprised at its climb. Long overdue and he’s a major Spider rogue. 

Me too.  I live in Canada, and the Canadian Price Variant for ASM 238 has proven to be particularly elusive in comparison to all of the other CPV's.

16 hours ago, Subby1938 said:

Well if you thought the madness was over check this out .....

1242775C-063C-4379-A0C8-A4DB5C63C8C6.png

Soon even my collection will be worth a few US dollars.

On 3/7/2021 at 8:48 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:
On 3/6/2021 at 7:04 PM, Subby1938 said:

Me too.  I live in Canada, and the Canadian Price Variant for ASM 238 has proven to be particularly elusive in comparison to all of the other CPV's.

All CPVs used to be readily available a decade or so ago in HG, but ASM 238 and GI Joe 21 were two of the toughest to find in 9.0+ since they sold through and the buyers tended to read them. 

Edited by kimik

Been watching some RAW sales of this book on eBay. An auction ended last night for $920. There is one for sale that ends today that is only at $300 and one ends tomorrow and is sitting at$455. Honestly, just from the photos alone I cannot see a difference in these three books so I am wondering why one sold for so high and the other one ending today is so low. Am I missing something?