• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238 prices going WAY up
3 3

140 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

What is the difference besides the price tag?

Incredible rarity. Canadian variants only made up 10% of total printed run and of that 1% went to newsstands. Essentially same comic but 100 times scarcer for every one US version . To find a CGC 9.8 Canadian is tough hence the last sale hitting 7500.00 US for blue label 9.8. The minute kids found out something was inserted into a comic that sat on shelf it was torn out lol or the comic mangled . 

imo it’s the copy to get with huge upsides and a bronze/copper grail. Other Canadian price variants to chase although very tough to find as well 

GI JOE 21 ( first storm shadow )

ASM 252

Swamp Thing ( first Constantine ) Uber impossible in 9.8

Edited by Subby1938

1 hour ago, MetaHuman said:

The $0.75 variant is the Canadian newsstand version, whereas the US newsstand version has $0.60 on it. Direct copies will have 3 prices on them: $0.60 US; $0.75 Canada and 25 pence for the UK.

Canadian issues only had bar codes at bottom left and all contained tattoos. They has skinny price bar noting 0.75 cents 

11 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I don’t know if it’s more desirable, but it is much,much more difficult to find

If value is a measure of desirability then the Canadian copies at least in 9.8 dwarf the US versions 

What if they change the game? What if ASM#238(cameo last panel) is a cameo and ASM#239 is First full Hobgoblin  story???the 1st full cover appearance? the main issue??? Just like in The Incredible Hulk# 180 and #181???

6 hours ago, ganni said:

What if they change the game? What if ASM#238(cameo last panel) is a cameo and ASM#239 is First full Hobgoblin  story???the 1st full cover appearance? the main issue??? Just like in The Incredible Hulk# 180 and #181???

Except that the Hobgoblin appears prominently on the cover, and his alter ego appears throughout issue 238, yeah, why not do as you suggest?  😉

10 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Except that the Hobgoblin appears prominently on the cover, and his alter ego appears throughout issue 238, yeah, why not do as you suggest?  😉

Whew....for a second I was worried there but your response was spot on perfect reply. 

Regardless, I'm still covered because I have an excellent #239 as well. :flipbait:

7 minutes ago, Mjolnir! said:

I have no problem with a teaser cover without a face, body or limbs. As long as it has $$$$$$$ :insane:

Now that is the correct answer! Likewise here.  Just crossing my fingers if they change the game...(thumbsu

1 minute ago, ganni said:

Now that is the correct answer! Likewise here.  Just crossing my fingers if they change the game...(thumbsu

No they won't change any game because they need our approval first and I say THEE NAY!!!  

I love that cover!!!

On 3/21/2021 at 1:30 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

It may be a bit early to call it, but recent sales of this book for $3.7K-$3.85K seem to indicate this book has jumped the shark.

Fonz Jumps The Shark GIFs | Tenor

Every once in a while, I punish myself by looking at my old copy of Comics Value Monthly from 1994.

I don't have a ton of old monthly price references, but in the one I have, IH 181 and ASM 129 are $350 books.

ASM 238 with tats was a $70 book, and WBN 32 was a $50 book. MS 5?  $150.

On 3/21/2021 at 2:30 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

It may be a bit early to call it, but recent sales of this book for $3.7K-$3.85K seem to indicate this book has jumped the shark.

Fonz Jumps The Shark GIFs | Tenor

Now in 2900-3400 range in 9.8.  Only rubes purchase a book when red hot. those who purchased at 5000, 6000, 7000 suffering huge negative ROI's. ASM 194 is and will follow same pattern

238 Lower grades experiencing huge losses off their highs, especially below 9.4

My guess is a year from now 238 9.8 direct settles at 2-2.5k. Still a nice sum for those who purchased pre bubble. But Bubble baby investors be taking a good bath

Of course my childhood 2nd copy of 238 just popped at CGC in the grade I expected and no its not 9.8....more on that in another thread....

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/23/2022 at 1:17 PM, MAR1979 said:

Now in 2900-3400 range in 9.8.  Only rubes purchase a book when red hot. those who purchased at 5000, 6000, 7000 suffering huge negative ROI's. ASM 194 is and will follow same pattern

238 Lower grades experiencing huge losses off their highs, especially below 9.4

My guess is a year from now 238 9.8 direct settles at 2-2.5k. Still a nice sum for those who purchased pre bubble. But Bubble baby investors be taking a good bath

Of course my childhood 2nd copy of 238 just popped at CGC in the grade I expected and no its not 9.8....more on that in another thread....

The book jumped the shark and its been slumping for the better part of 8 months, yet its still selling for 2.5-3x pre-covid prices for cgc 9.8 copies.

I really like this book and I do hope prices continue to move downwards as I'd like to purchase another dozen or so copies.  

My opinions on Direct Sale 238. Newsstand Edition may or may not follow in stride? :

1) Classic Cover

2) When the Green Goblin was "dead" and in 1983 had not appeared other than flashback for 10 years the Hobgoblin had some legs.  The Green Goblin's return rendered Hobby nothing but a cheap jack imitation.

3) MCU appearance not likely as why have a 2nd rate Green Goblin when can have the real thing.

4) Book I feel destined to remain one that rides coattails of other events. In the case of 2020 it was the collectible boom (bubble). It wont sink to pre-Covid levels at least in 9.8 but its a very high pop book overall who's numbers increase every census update so will likley remain cold until the next external type event causes it to rise. Even then the pops will be much higher than even today and folks (the rubes) who were burned in past to the tune of 5-7.5K for the book likley won't make same error again.

5) As i mentioned in my last post those who purchased pre-COVID are still doing nicely. While some of those gains will go away I'd be surprised but not shocked if any time this decade a CGC 9.8 Direct Sale version of the book sinks below $1700 in the open market.  Then again look what happening to Moon Knight overall and even a book like ASM 316 is now $800 down from $2000+ in 9.8.

6) Any time I receive my books, purchased when originally on-sale, back from CGC they drop in Market Value.  Since Sept it's happened to me with the following Copper Spidey related books in CGC 9.8w:

- ASM 299 - IMHO should have gone higher than it did and not as low as it is now :(
- ASM 312
- ASM 316 - $2000+ at one point now struggling to hang on to $800
- ASM 328
- ASM 361 - Carnage is 3rd rate Venom and the print run of the book nearly deforested Oregon so no surprise here.
- Secret Wars 8  - did receive a bounce but still lower than late Sept/Early Oct 2021
- Peter Parker 90

Now that my 238 (2nd copy) is back, sinking like a stone is in full effect.

Edited by MAR1979

Seems to be dropping...a 9.0 newsstand sold back in April for $700+. A recent sale shows a best offer accepted on a $575 ask (same grade, newsstand). Even at that price, my $40 investment is doing fine. Definitely might fall more into the affordable realm for future Spidey fans and as a result should always have interest regardless of a lack of movie/tv show appearances.

On 5/24/2022 at 10:56 AM, MAR1979 said:

My opinions on Direct Sale 238. Newsstand Edition may or may not follow in stride? :

1) Classic Cover, very innovative in its day and predates Thor 337 which also messed with the Marvel banner, Corner box and UPC area.

2) When the Green Goblin was "dead" and in 1983 had not appeared other than flashback for 10 years the Hobgoblin had some legs.  The Green Goblin's return rendered Hobby nothing but a cheap jack imitation.

3) MCU appearance not likely as why have a 2nd rate Green Goblin when can have the real thing.

4) Book I feel destined to remain one that rides coattails of other events. In the case of 2020 it was the collectible boom (bubble). It wont sink to pre-Covid levels at least in 9.8 but its a very high pop book overall who's numbers increase every census update so will likley remain cold until the next external type event causes it to rise. Even then the pops will be much higher than even today and folks (the rubes) who were burned in past to the tune of 5-7.5K for the book likley won't make same error again.

5) As i mentioned in my last post those who purchased pre-COVID are still doing nicely. While some of those gains will go away I'd be surprised but not shocked if any time this decade a CGC 9.8 Direct Sale version of the book sinks below $1700 in the open market.  Then again look what happening to Moon Knight overall and even a book like ASM 316 is now $800 down from $2000+ in 9.8.

6) Any time I receive my books, purchased when originally on-sale, back from CGC they drop in Market Value.  Since Sept it's happened to me with the following Copper Spidey related books in CGC 9.8w:

- ASM 299 - IMHO should have gone higher than it did and not as low as it is now :(
- ASM 312
- ASM 316 - $2000+ at one point now struggling to hang on to $800
- ASM 328
- ASM 361 - Carnage is 3rd rate cut rate Venom and the print run of the book nearly deforested Oregon so no surprise here.
- Secret Wars 8  - did receive a bounce but still lower than late Sept/Early Oct 2021
- Peter Parker 90

Now that my 238 (2nd copy) is back, sinking like a stone is in full effect.

I may be wrong, but there was only one sale on Clink where a direct edition 9.8 hit $5K.  I follow this book very closely and I don't recall seeing it hit the $5K peak more than once.  There is a slim chance that I may have missed an auction due to being on vacation, but otherwise, I'm on top of this book.

That being said, there was a 9.8 Canadian Price Variant that hit $7.8K in late 2020.  I was going after it, but stopped bidding at just over $5K (which, coincidentally, would have been the record price for a CPV for this book), but it wasn't meant to be.  FYI, the previous high was $4.65K

So, based upon the empirical evidence, there are/were very few "rubes" who were "burned" to the "tune of 5-7.5K for the book".  Furthermore, with the escalating prices on this book during covid, I would have thought several more CPV's in 9.8 would have appeared on the market to take advantage of the escalating prices, but this simply didn't happen.  Goes to show how few 9.8 CPV's actually exist and are available for purchase.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the next time one appears with white pages, it will break the current $7.8K benchmark. 

On 5/24/2022 at 11:36 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

That being said, there was a 9.8 Canadian Price Variant that hit $7.8K in late 2020.  I was going after it, but stopped bidding at just over $5K (which, coincidentally, would have been the record price for a CPV for this book), but it wasn't meant to be.  FYI, the previous high was $4.65K

So, based upon the empirical evidence, there are/were very few "rubes" who were "burned" to the "tune of 5-7.5K for the book".  Furthermore, with the escalating prices on this book during covid, I would have thought several more CPV's in 9.8 would have appeared on the market to take advantage of the escalating prices, but this simply didn't happen.  Goes to show how few 9.8 CPV's actually exist and are available for purchase.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the next time one appears with white pages, it will break the current $7.8K benchmark. 

IMHO CPV's are almost genus onto themselves with their own hardcore sub-set of collectors .

I purchased a bunch in high-grade raw (all since slabbed) at NYCC 2018&2019 wish i had grabbed more but glad I found a few personal keys. Of course not much nostalgia on the CPV's for me given I did not grow up in Canada. 

Edited by MAR1979