• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238 prices going WAY up
3 3

140 posts in this topic

On 5/24/2022 at 10:09 AM, MAR1979 said:

IMHO CPV's are almost genus onto themselves with their own hardcore sub-set of collectors .

I purchased a bunch in high-grade raw (all since slabbed) at NYCC 2018&2019 wish i had grabbed more but glad I found a few personal keys. Of course not much nostalgia on the CPV's for me given I did not grow up in Canada. 

There is not much nostalgia up here for CPVs either since they are still relatively common in Canada. I am selling CPVs steadily, and all but a couple have been to US collectors. We tend to look at them from a take the money and run perspective.

Edited by kimik

On 5/24/2022 at 9:09 AM, MAR1979 said:

IMHO CPV's are almost genus onto themselves with their own hardcore sub-set of collectors .

I purchased a bunch in high-grade raw (all since slabbed) at NYCC 2018&2019 wish i had grabbed more but glad I found a few personal keys. Of course not much nostalgia on the CPV's for me given I did not grow up in Canada. 

Did you mean "a genus unto"  

I need a translator for half your posts.

On 5/24/2022 at 4:29 PM, divad said:

I need a translator for half your posts.

I'm fluent (well semi-fluent) in 4 languages. English being an absurd kludge is the most difficult of all to write or speak "correctly" .   :peace:

:whee:

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/24/2022 at 4:28 PM, kimik said:

There is not much nostalgia up here for CPVs either since they are still relatively common in Canada. I am selling CPVs steadily, and all but a couple have been to US collectors. We tend to look at them from a take the money and run perspective.

It's been my experience over the last number of years that Key CPV's in higher grades are VERY sought out by a strong and growing number of collectors in both Canada and the USA. The problem is finding these keys in higher grades at reasonable prices.  Most CPV books I see across the country are not keys in really high grades. Many collectors are still not aware of them, hence interest will grow with awareness. 

On 5/24/2022 at 7:19 PM, The_Investor said:

It's been my experience over the last number of years that Key CPV's in higher grades are VERY sought out by a strong and growing number of collectors in both Canada and the USA. The problem is finding these keys in higher grades at reasonable prices.  Most CPV books I see across the country are not keys in really high grades. Many collectors are still not aware of them, hence interest will grow with awareness. 

Agreed.

Still the folks that collect  1970's Marvel  Price Variants for example are only a small faction of the hobby and that's been a "thing" for 4 decades.  It will be curious to see...

On 5/24/2022 at 7:29 PM, MAR1979 said:

Agreed.

Still the folks that collect  1970's Marvel  Price Variants for example are only a small faction of the hobby and that's been a "thing" for 4 decades.  It will be curious to see...

Very true !

Speaking of Canadian Price Variants, ComicLink has some incredible keys in the present auction (May).  I'm looking at a few myself to bid on. 

On 5/24/2022 at 5:19 PM, The_Investor said:

Keys and commons in high grade are still showing up at LCSs and conventions on a regular basis here, but they tend to get snapped up fast and tucked away fairly quickly. Having multiples of key issues is never a bad thing. 

On 5/25/2022 at 2:24 AM, kimik said:

Keys and commons in high grade are still showing up at LCSs and conventions on a regular basis here, but they tend to get snapped up fast and tucked away fairly quickly. Having multiples of key issues is never a bad thing. 

I'd be happy to purchase all of the cgc 9.8 ASM 238's you have to offer. :cheers:

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 5/25/2022 at 6:37 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I'd be happy to purchase all of the cgc 9.8 ASM 238's you have to offer. :cheers:

lol I am sitting on the few nice copies I have left for now. Late Bronze/Copper is the new Silver.

On 5/25/2022 at 2:24 AM, kimik said:

Are higher grade common books really worth picking up?   I travel around many parts of Canada and always hit the bins of whatever shops are close by and I've always been able to find some mixed in with the runs.  I still never bother to grab them.  Maybe I should?  And I'm still trying to figure what my higher grade Blip 1 CPV would fetch should I decide to sell.

On 6/13/2022 at 12:17 PM, davidpg said:

Are higher grade common books really worth picking up?   I travel around many parts of Canada and always hit the bins of whatever shops are close by and I've always been able to find some mixed in with the runs.  I still never bother to grab them.  Maybe I should?  And I'm still trying to figure what my higher grade Blip 1 CPV would fetch should I decide to sell.

Yes. Check out prices on 9.8 common pre-90s drek for popular titles. They will surprise you.

On 6/13/2022 at 2:21 PM, kimik said:

Yes. Check out prices on 9.8 common pre-90s drek for popular titles. They will surprise you.

Yeah, 9.8s for sure.  What about solid 9.2 or 9.4s though?  

On 6/13/2022 at 2:17 PM, davidpg said:

What grade do you think is your Blip 1 CPV? 

On 6/13/2022 at 3:54 PM, The_Investor said:

What grade do you think is your Blip 1 CPV? 

I've had it since I bought it of the stands.  Probably an 8.5-9.0, and it hasn't been pressed (yet?).

Edited by davidpg

On 6/13/2022 at 4:35 PM, davidpg said:

I've had it since I bought it of the stands.  Probably an 8.5-9.0, and it hasn't been pressed (yet?).

David, reach out to me when you get it graded. I'd be interested depending what it comes back as. We could meet in person. 

On 5/24/2022 at 8:36 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Furthermore, with the escalating prices on this book during covid, I would have thought several more CPV's in 9.8 would have appeared on the market to take advantage of the escalating prices, but this simply didn't happen.  Goes to show how few 9.8 CPV's actually exist and are available for purchase. 

Nah..............probably goes to show the snail's pace that CCS/CGC is working at as many submittors who sent their copies in last year are still appreantly waiting to get their books back from the CCS/CGC long term holding storage facility, even as prices are dropping like a rock in the interim.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :tonofbricks:  :censored:

On 8/27/2022 at 1:55 AM, lou_fine said:

Nah..............probably goes to show the snail's pace that CCS/CGC is working at as many submittors who sent their copies in last year are still appreantly waiting to get their books back from the CCS/CGC long term holding storage facility, even as prices are dropping like a rock in the interim.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :tonofbricks:  :censored:

Unfortunately, only two 9.8’s sold in 2020…none since.  Only one 9.6 has sold this year, with the previous sale being 2019.

I