• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238 prices going WAY up
3 3

140 posts in this topic

I purchased my OO copy, which I still have in what in all honesty looks like a 9.6.  For 60 cents.  Plus tax.  Actually, it wasn't even my money, it was funded by my dad in the form of my allowance. 

So my 9.6 was free.  :roflmao:

Edited by zosocane

1 hour ago, Greatwhite said:

Been watching some RAW sales of this book on eBay. An auction ended last night for $920. There is one for sale that ends today that is only at $300 and one ends tomorrow and is sitting at$455. Honestly, just from the photos alone I cannot see a difference in these three books so I am wondering why one sold for so high and the other one ending today is so low. Am I missing something?

Some thoughts.  First, it is premature to worry about this apparent discrepancy while the auctions remain pending.  There is often a run-up to the finish line. Second, if you have not already, make sure they are all the same issue/version, because newsstand versions (bar code in bottom left corner) of this issue generally go for more than the direct (spidey logo in bottom left corner) version, although both are surging nowadays.  Third, how do you know they are all the same grade?  "High-grade" is a vague term, which could range from 8.0 to 9.8 in many cases.   Make sure you are experienced enough to evaluate scans and that you have good scans. There are plenty of 8.0s that could look like 9.4s from scans alone.

Edited by Pantodude

6 hours ago, kimik said:

All CPVs used to be readily available a decade or so ago in HG, but ASM 238 and GI Joe 21 were two of the toughest to find in 9.0+ since they sold through and the buyers tended to read them. 

I agree don’t forget the elusive first app of Constantine in Swamp Thing. That’s near impossible to find in nm+. 

7 hours ago, Pantodude said:

Some thoughts.  First, it is premature to worry about this apparent discrepancy while the auctions remain pending.  There is often a run-up to the finish line. Second, if you have not already, make sure they are all the same issue/version, because newsstand versions (bar code in bottom left corner) of this issue generally go for more than the direct (spidey logo in bottom left corner) version, although both are surging nowadays.  Third, how do you know they are all the same grade?  "High-grade" is a vague term, which could range from 8.0 to 9.8 in many cases.   Make sure you are experienced enough to evaluate scans and that you have good scans. There are plenty of 8.0s that could look like 9.4s from scans alone.

I agree. The book went from $330 to $799 in the last 4 seconds.

Edited by Greatwhite
Grammar correction

2 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

Obviously it’s legit I watched auction last night ???

Auction closing is one thing...but in order for the transaction to be completed, the buyer needs to pay, and then the sale appears on GPA.  So for this copy, the buyer has already paid.  Hence, its a legit transaction.  There has been numerous times when on ebay when a sale wasn't finalized because the seller did not pay.  Hence, said transaction would be incomplete/invalid and not appear in GPA.

1 hour ago, Subby1938 said:

Is the GPA updated automatically instantly ? Or does it take some time to appear because go collect is way behind in their assessed grade values

GPA updates aren’t instantaneous upon payment, but they are very quick.

I haven’t seen or used go collect so I can’t compare the two services

Edited by jjonahjameson11

54 minutes ago, Greatwhite said:

A raw 238 for sale on eBay right now. Advertised as a “rare 75 cent variant”. What is the significance of this? Is it more valuable or less valuable than the 60 cent version?

I don’t know if it’s more desirable, but it is much,much more difficult to find

59 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

By the way, there are more asm 238 cgc 9.8 than ASM 300 cgc 9.8 currently available on ebay

I'd love a copy but not at current prices.  This is madness.... madness I say...

On 3/9/2021 at 7:59 AM, Subby1938 said:

Is the GPA updated automatically instantly ? Or does it take some time to appear because go collect is way behind in their assessed grade values

i had to bail on gocollect as they had not updated many books in months. their explanation to me had something to do with ebay changing the way they report data, but there were heritage results missing too. ultimately its not a useful tool in these rapidly changing times if it's not current. gpa does seem pretty on top of recent sales for the most part.