• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

April HA 2021
2 2

351 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The Lobo cover is already $63K and the Stevens Alien Worlds cover is at $43K

Prices seem to be moving up fast, certainly not to the final hammer point but every day I check seems like most things have ticked up a few more notches.

I've got my eye (and maybe my money) on a number of items. Pricing is pretty high on a number of them. That said, I kind of want to know if I have any chance on some, the sooner the better.

But it does seem that "quality" material at this point in time could just sell for double or triple what it might have sold for a year or two ago. And those are real dollar jumps. It's one thing for a $1k page to be $3k (I can still afford if so desired) but from $20k to $60k is a totally different level. Crazy!

On 3/12/2021 at 9:38 PM, tth2 said:

I think everyone here knows what the real painting is. 

Album: boris vallejo 93tinirau

Everyone knows when you’re a babe controlling a flying fanged shad you MUST contort your hands in such a way that you mind meld with the majestic beast. As an added bonus, this contortion just so happens to flex your oily biceps for an out of this world photo op! 

Just now, tth2 said:
5 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Prices seem to be moving up fast, certainly not to the final hammer point but every day I check seems like most things have ticked up a few more notches.

Shills, I tell you! 

In all seriousness, as is always the case, there's lots of movement in the first week as people get in their tracking bids/thrill bids/shill bids, and then things will barely move until the last couple of days, and then it'll all be irrelevant anyways because the pieces will sell for whatever they sell for during live bidding (which will be significantly higher than where they were during internet bidding). 

31 minutes ago, tth2 said:

In all seriousness, as is always the case, there's lots of movement in the first week as people get in their tracking bids/thrill bids/shill bids, and then things will barely move until the last couple of days, and then it'll all be irrelevant anyways because the pieces will sell for whatever they sell for during live bidding (which will be significantly higher than where they were during internet bidding). 

sadly very true ...:sorry:

The main thing for me is for several pieces that I could be interested in to be way over what I would want to pay. Therefore, I can focus on the one or two items that look like I still have a shot. About every other auction I walk away with something I really wanted. I'm focusing on buying one or two quality pieces this time and hopefully not settling for pieces that catch my eye but really aren't a high priority. We will see if that works.:wishluck:

anybody win anything at the European art auction this weekend?   I forgot about it.   I was hoping to buy two Don Rosa pages, and one stayed reasonable at 5k which I'm bummed I didn't throw some bids on, but the other went for 24k :eek: so I wasn't going to win that anyways.

So, is that a record at auction for a Rosa panel?    anybody pick anything up?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/don-rosa-kalle-anka-and-c-o-donald-duck-and-company-1995-24-planche-2-uncle-scrooge-egmont-1995-total-2-original/a/7253-51128.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by Bronty

11 hours ago, tth2 said:

I took a brief scan through the platinum nite stuff, and while a few pieces already have strong bids, a lot of them don't...yet.  (FYI, the Stevens Alien World's cover has jumped to $81K; was $43K yesterday)

Likewise, looking through the Friday closings, the vast majority of the pieces haven't been affected by 'price discovery', and yes, I'm aware its still very early in the auction cycle but to be completely frank, I'd say its a bit underwhelming at the moment.

12 hours ago, Bronty said:

anybody win anything at the European art auction this weekend?   I forgot about it.   I was hoping to buy two Don Rosa pages, and one stayed reasonable at 5k which I'm bummed I didn't throw some bids on, but the other went for 24k :eek: so I wasn't going to win that anyways.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/don-rosa-kalle-anka-and-c-o-donald-duck-and-company-1995-24-planche-2-uncle-scrooge-egmont-1995-total-2-original/a/7253-51128.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

I won nada.  Very strong prices (as usual).

5 hours ago, tth2 said:

I won nada.  Very strong prices (as usual).

what were you trying for Tim?

I was disappointed that I forgot about the auction.   One Rosa page that I found very memorable went for 5k, I would have made someone pay more at the least.   Oh well :/    At least I saved the money, but I'm still pretty annoyed.   And then I did the same thing yesterday with some Canadian golden age I forgot to bid on.    :eek:

Edited by Bronty

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

what were you trying for Tim?

I was disappointed that I forgot about the auction.   One Rosa page that I found very memorable went for 5k, I would have made someone pay more at the least.   Oh well :/    At least I saved the money, but I'm still pretty annoyed.   And then I did the same thing yesterday with some Canadian golden age I forgot to bid on.    :eek:

Happens to the best of us... you'll feel better when that $$ goes to something even better. }:-)

3 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

I thought there were some strong prices in the international auction....

Agree, plus the 25% BP makes it tougher for bidders.   I bid on the Michel Vaillant F1 page ($13,750) and the Bianchi Spidey 20 cover ( $6875) but lost on both lots.  C’est la vie.

On 3/14/2021 at 10:31 PM, Bronty said:

I have now seen the last few decent Question pages sell for multiple thousands from Cowan, each with different inkers.

Is that a consistent price range now for Vic pages from the run?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/denys-cowan-et-bill-sienkiewicz-the-question-37-planche-2-dc-comics-vertigo-2010-/a/7253-52257.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515