• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My nominees for the coolest single copies in the hobby
3 3

101 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

For Historical Nature

lf.thumb.jpg.e463df3ec7fded812318a3866e73f5b6.jpg

Okajima camp comics with racist Japanese portrayals are very very cool.  They capture an incredible injustice.  Very thought provoking, great back story, definitely the sort of book that should make a Top 10 list under my criteria.  Thanks!

You folks are all sooooo misguided.  

• My copy of The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck - Your quest for the One Book to find them, One Book to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them, ends right here.  As noted, it's not necessarily about monetary value, although these boards' brightest minds have grappled with the decades-old conundrum, "Why is Action Comics #1 a $200,000 comic book, and Obadiah Oldbuck a $20,000 comic book?"   (shrug)And it's not because I own it, even though I do.  :devil:  It's because it's the coolest, rarest, and most important story-inspiring book EVER.  And i can prove it.  Name another book that inspired creative and funny threads on these boards like this one: 
  • You can't.   And before you say, "Hey, Pantydude, this ain't Golden Age material," park it.  True, this book kicked off the Victorian Age of comic books, in London no less.  But since we don't have a Victorian Age thread here, this book's unique gilt cover makes it worthy (if not, have some compassion!  It's ego already took a hit in those other two threads!).  Last but not least, this book also meets the "single book" criterion, as I only own one copy of it (yes, I can feel the envy). 
  •  :flipbait:  

Edited by Pantodude

2 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Great topic.  I agree that price doesn't always equal coolest or historically significant.  I definitely agree with your list. Here are some images to add to this.  Although I know some of these were on your list , and one is not a comic, but is slabbed and an important piece of history as well as really cool. act1.14071a.thumb.jpg.9c4410e6010b0f74c7fdd505ace131f5.jpg723097376_20190620_022223(1).jpg.45e4534b4fd6c2d2f8d89fe74ce75e5e.jpg20210201_192420.jpg.87821e116e8f260d5fd3b06c876c3966.jpg20210201_192509.jpg.ea9994485454337e199693f20f88dfd4.jpg20210201_192525.jpg.81a754c2378e1c5cfb1558d4b5959da0.jpg20210201_192538.jpg.ae3ffa7f4bcdb13d5f8687532dd24591.jpg

The Action 1 color guide is one of the coolest bits of comic history ever, but I put it into the OA category.  I'm all in on the coolness of ashcans, but you got to make choices and I chose DA 1 and the first appearances of Captain Marvel.  On the ashcan front, other really strong contenders IMHO are the Wonder Woman ashcan (Sensation 1 cover and Sensation 2 interior), the ashcans for the Superman family (Superman w/ Action 7 cover, Superboy, Superwoman and Supergirl), and don't forget the Federal Men aschan which I think is the first surviving DC ashcan.  

6 minutes ago, mwotka said:

I'd add any of the court copy issues from the Superman lawsuits.  The Action 7 court copy just sold a few months back on HA for $200K.

Action 7 court copy.jpg

I'd forgotten the court copies, which are supercool, especially to attorneys like me (and Zaid!).  They definitely meet my criteria!  Thanks for reminding me of these.

7 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

You folks are all sooooo misguided.  

• My copy of The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck - Your quest for the One Book to find them, One Book to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them, ends right here.  As noted, it's not necessarily about monetary value, although these boards' brightest minds have grappled with the decades-old conundrum, "Why is Action Comics #1 a $200,000 comic book, and Obadiah Oldbuck a $20,000 comic book?"   And it's not because I own it, even though I do.  :devil:  It's because it's the coolest, rarest, and most important story-inspiring book EVER.  And i can prove it.  Name another book that inspired creative and funny threads on these boards like this one: 
  • You can't.   And before you say, "Hey, Pantydude, this ain't Golden Age material," park it.  True, this book kicked off the Victorian Age of comic books, in London no less.  But since we don't have a Victorian Age thread here, this book's unique gilt cover makes it worthy (if not, have some compassion!  It's ego already took a hit in those other two threads!).  Last but not least, this book also meets the "single book" criterion, as I only own one copy of it (yes, I can feel the envy). 
  •  :flipbait:  

Lot of jokes about this topic because of the identity of the big booster of the book's import, but it is a cool item.  Just not, as you recognize, GA.  The backlash against the book is over blown.  The pre-GA history is important.

Just now, Pantodude said:

Joking aside, all the other books listed here are serious candidates.  But it is hard not to go with the potentially highest valued ones, if you imagine owning it.  

Then try to imagine making payments for it!  You might just find the Barks' bound volume inscribed to Willits as the coolest on the list.  LoL!

12 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

The Action #1 NG label says it is a silverprint proof, what is a silverprint proof?

[READ THE ABOVE, IT IS MORE COMPREHENSIVE!]  It is a pre-publication proof copy hand printed by the printers.  It is is not printed using black ink, but done with a "silver print" process.  It was then sent back to DC for hand coloring as a guide for the printers.  As you can see, this was not the final coloring used on Action 1.  This particular color guide hung on the wall of the president and/or publisher of DC for very many years.  

Edited by sfcityduck

1 minute ago, Mmehdy said:

super post...I am learning, especially that Barks story

This was one of the reasons I nominated him in your thread. He has some amazing information and wonderful threads.