• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My nominees for the coolest single copies in the hobby
3 3

101 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, BuyTheRedCar said:

May be an image of 1 person

These two.

Well, the one on the right was good enough for DA to keep in his collection.  But, the one on the left DA rejected for the copy he now owns.  But any MH is notable.  Enough to make the MH Superman 1 a top 10 book even if its "second best"?  I think that about the MH Action 1.

Edited by sfcityduck

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

You know, there are so many cool comics out there, I just remembered another possible category.  Uncensored variants.  Below is the only example for this issue with the uncensored cover that I've ever seen.  GCD does not know it exists.  The MH copy is censored.  I could see how if the rest of the uncensored copies were destroyed, this copy would be so cool as to merit inclusion on my list.  After all, a super rare uncensored horror comic variant, especially because it was censored for being too sexy, would encapsulate just about everything the pre-Code era is about.  

1613607032860blob.jpg.d1f0691cbd39491c882cb3802b12b701.jpg

I love GA variants, especially when the variants are with the art and not just price. Like the “bloody” Action 62 variant.

1 minute ago, BuyTheRedCar said:

Also, I think the first CGC graded/encapsulated book has a place in here as well. Have know idea what book it is though.  

That, from what I remember is not a golden age. If I remember correctly it was a Tomb Raider ..

4 minutes ago, BuyTheRedCar said:

Thanks sfcityduck. I've had that book for for about 13 years. Don't recall who I bought it from. I'll have to look in my files. I don't know if she (Okajima) had a copy of Captain Midnight #23 (the one with Japanese escaping from the prison camp), but if so, that would top the list in my opinion (at least for that collection).

Well, you made a fantastic (and prescient) pick-up!  Hope you landed some others!

If I remember correctly the issue with verification of which was actually first graded is when the first started they did "sample" books that didn't have all of the information on the labels and do not show any or incorrect information in the registry.  

The first book that technically has the correct information so it  is called the first book is 20210217_193705.jpg.d2489dc88efed26747b6126f5729ca4c.jpg

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

18 minutes ago, BuyTheRedCar said:

Also, I think the first CGC graded/encapsulated book has a place in here as well. Have know idea what book it is though.  

Great call now that we know its a WDC&S 1!  That really is a supercool thing for any collector in this CGC era to own!

Edited by sfcityduck

7 hours ago, sfcityduck said:
  • Review Copy of Wonder Woman 1(?) - Someone's got to help me with this one.  I recall seeing an auction for a review copy of either Sensation 1 or Wonder Woman 1 (I think the latter) with a letter either written by or to the editor of a respected women's magazine.  It included a photo of the woman supposedly holding a copy of the book, but the cover of the comic was a preview version.  It was a super cool group of items.  Unique, historical, and great storytelling value!  Really impressed me, but I can't find any info on line.  Help!

Are you referring to the "Wonder Woman" ashcan with the Sensation 1 cover in B&W?  It has a hand-written copyright rejection note on the top under the logo...  I love that book and tried to buy it.

Not sure what the "photo of the woman" is. (shrug)

Just now, Yorick said:

Are you referring to the "Wonder Woman" ashcan with the Sensation 1 cover in B&W?  It has a hand-written copyright rejection note on the top under the logo...  I love that book and tried to buy it.

Nope.  That is cool.  But in the last few years, a supercool "review copy" of either Wonder Woman 1 or Sensation 1 (might even have been WW 1 and WW 2) with the cover letter that was sent with the comic, and a b&w photo of, I think, the editor of a notable woman's magazine who was probably the author of the letter that showed her holding the WW 1 - but, it was a mock up with a slightly different cover.  Or that's my imperfect memory.  Must not have been auctioned by Heritage. 

14 minutes ago, BuyTheRedCar said:

A book that is cool enough to stand on its own merits to boot! Nice bit of research onlyweaknesskryptonite.  Thanks for that tidbit.

You are welcome. I was curious about this myself as I used to own a few of the sample books, but sold them on ebay long ago. A few years ago I was trying to track some of them down and found a few discussions about sample books , and the first graded CGC books. I did find one of my original samples, but it was another board member @valiantman who now owns it.  It is now permanently part of his collection.  At least I know it got a good home with someone who appreciates it for what it is and is not trying to reslab it.  Here is an image of that book for those that haven't seen the original samples.  CGC98Superman78_cgcsample.thumb.jpg.eb9dc6bab1b67be70beb8fd656fa602b.jpg

Also after looking back , I do believe I was incorrect about the Tomb Raider book. That is actually believed to be the first Signature Series book. Dated 8/05/01 here is one of the original threads where I found this information about the Signature Series and an updated scan of the book ( although at the end of that thread you can see my original ( and bad ) pictures I used to list it on ebay

36 minutes ago, Yorick said:

I'm not losing it!  It was the Wonder Woman 1 "solicitation copy" CGC 9.0 sold by Marc Lasry (Milwaukee Bucks owner) on ComicConnect in 2016.  The comic was part of a promotional packet sent by DC’s All-American Comics branch associate editor Alice Marble — at that time, perhaps the most famous female athlete in the country with 18 Grand Slam tennis championships to her credit, and the US women’s #1 ranked player from 1936 to 1940 - to the editors of Harper’s Magazine. Here's the promo packet:

1500x1500_02f1f3847af4eeed7bccba5b6fa95806a1568e634ae567a42bedeb67.jpg

8 hours ago, mwotka said:

I'd add any of the court copy issues from the Superman lawsuits.  The Action 7 court copy just sold a few months back on HA for $200K.

Action 7 court copy.jpg

On the subject of Court copies, how about this one? This may be my new number 1 desire.  Since it is MP, my wife might not kill me if I bought it.  Then again she might, since I'd have to sell art that's on my living room walls and sort of essential to the interior decorating:

Action_1_evid

Edited by sfcityduck

8 hours ago, mwotka said:

I'd add any of the court copy issues from the Superman lawsuits.  The Action 7 court copy just sold a few months back on HA for $200K.

Action 7 court copy.jpg

I thought the court copy had a clip out of it ? (shrug)

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

On the subject of Court copies, how about this one? This may be my new number 1 desire.  Since it is MP, my wife might not kill me if I bought it.  Then again she might, since I'd have to sell art that's on my living room walls and sort of essential to the interior decorating:

Action_1_evid

:cloud9: That truly is a GRAIL and amazing piece of history on so many levels. :cloud9:

GREAT CHOICE! :golfclap: