• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NFT Ramblings
1 1

208 posts in this topic

My issue is with all of that. I consider all of what you mentioned part of the surveillance state we are creating, @Garf. I fear giving the ruling class in this country complete control of not only all personal information but also all aspects of commerce (both public and private which is where this road will lead IMO). I find the idea of centralized registering and tracking all aspects of public and private life abhorrent.

Sorry if this is wildly off topic, but we touched on these concepts and I find it so dangerous that I wanted to say something. I try to avoid discussions like this because honestly a comic book forum isn't the place for it (hence me staying out of the water cooler over the last year). But this is one of the more dangerous roads we have been traveling down as a civilization recently and I just didn't want it to pass by without comment. 

15 hours ago, Taylor G said:

I heard a good description of what an NFT is recently.

It's a digital receipt.

Who thinks it would be a good idea to put receipts up on CAF?

My strong suspicion is that a lot of people getting into this don't understand the technology, and think it gives them some kind of magical digital rights management capability.  Again and again, I hear people making this mistake.

It's a receipt.  Nothing more.

There are a lot of people that do understand the technology. More than you can imagine. To them it is more than a receipt. Think of it like kids paying to level up in a game. To you and I it makes no sense has no value, to them it does. It makes them happy.

And, there is the whole investment part of nfts that is very real. 

14 hours ago, Taylor G said:

Come back, 1990s, all is forgiven.

I'm guessing a lot of the speculation in NFTs is being driven by paper Bitcoin "fortunes."  Talk about foundations of sand.

Not sure what the 1990s comment is but NFTs are more than speculation at this point. 

On 5/6/2021 at 11:38 AM, GreatEscape said:

Now, even NBA championships rings are going NFT...for millions of dollars! ???

Warriors NFT Championship Ring Sales Raise More Than $2 Million

37CB2A36-C843-49DD-A767-F5CB30A4A691.thumb.jpeg.bcd26d341162105e273382cba2feb385.jpeg

Article

I really really just don't get the NFT deal, how to you NFT an actual ring?  Do you get the ring too or just a digital image of the ring?  What is going on here.

8 hours ago, joefixit2 said:

I really really just don't get the NFT deal, how to you NFT an actual ring?  Do you get the ring too or just a digital image of the ring?  What is going on here.

Crazy times. I think what gets lost sometimes is that an NFT can be anything. You can sell a digital Image of a ring, but that sale might also include tickets to a game, dinner with the player or anything else. Really, the sky is the limit. The digital part is only part of it.