• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Gold Key Star Trek #1 Club
2 2

56 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2021 at 9:09 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

In the case of a 50/50 split of edition types though, both are different to the other. So if a deciding factor for variant status is a lower print run, which is the variant?

I am

On 3/4/2021 at 12:44 AM, lou_fine said:

clearly remembered this WP copy as it had sold for an out of this galaxy record setting price of $40,500 in a CC Event Auction back in 2015:

Time to bump this thread!  A seldom-seen 9.2 W sold for $10.2K on H tonight.  I guess that sole 9.8 W on the census would go for much, much more in today's climate.  

Hope nobody minds if I bump this thread for something that will veer slightly off-topic, but this was the best place I could find to ask the question.

So, I decided to dip my toe in the waters of Dell/Gold Key key issues by purchasing this copy of Doctor Solar #1:

480376130_DoctorSolar1CGC9.0.thumb.jpg.13cb7234748b0c9e7b1e09e0718ea5a3.jpg

Right now the closest thing I've got to a "want list" would be to pick up Magnus Robot Fighter #1, Star Trek #1, and Peanuts #1 ... although, in the latter case I'm wondering if I should try to pursue Four Color #878 in addition or instead.

Which brings me to the point of this post, which is that I could really use an education on collecting these books.  Although I do like Star Trek and I'm sure I will eventually get a copy of #1, what really drew me in was the editorial style -- the painted covers and the concise text captions that really make you want to see what's inside (which is of course why I won't buy anything but slabbed copies lol).

Is there anyone out there willing to suggest a (brief!) list of specific titles and issues I should target?  I am a completist when it comes to my Marvel collection, but in this case I would like to be very selective and just pick out a few that are special.  Thanks in advance!

It's up to personal taste, Lou.  I collected the first nine Star Trek issues for the photo covers, and the complete run of Dr. Solar, because the cover art was so cool, as were many of the sci-fi stories, and the issues were challenging to find in top condition.  I also collected some of the cartoon comics that were favorites of mine as a kid, like Flintstones, Jetsons, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Road Runner, and the other Hanna-Barbera and Loony Tunes character books.  Others love Magnus as a superhero-science fiction hybrid, and the Peanuts Tip Top and Four Color issues for the love of the comic strip.

Edited by namisgr

On 11/22/2021 at 8:12 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Hope nobody minds if I bump this thread for something that will veer slightly off-topic, but this was the best place I could find to ask the question.

So, I decided to dip my toe in the waters of Dell/Gold Key key issues by purchasing this copy of Doctor Solar #1:

480376130_DoctorSolar1CGC9.0.thumb.jpg.13cb7234748b0c9e7b1e09e0718ea5a3.jpg

Right now the closest thing I've got to a "want list" would be to pick up Magnus Robot Fighter #1, Star Trek #1, and Peanuts #1 ... although, in the latter case I'm wondering if I should try to pursue Four Color #878 in addition or instead.

Which brings me to the point of this post, which is that I could really use an education on collecting these books.  Although I do like Star Trek and I'm sure I will eventually get a copy of #1, what really drew me in was the editorial style -- the painted covers and the concise text captions that really make you want to see what's inside (which is of course why I won't buy anything but slabbed copies lol).

Is there anyone out there willing to suggest a (brief!) list of specific titles and issues I should target?  I am a completist when it comes to my Marvel collection, but in this case I would like to be very selective and just pick out a few that are special.  Thanks in advance!

If you're buying slabbed only then you can't go wrong with Turok and Mighty Samson - 1st 60 issues or so with Turok and Mighty Samson - the first 10 or so - some BEAUTIFUL painted covers by various artists.

Space Ghost one shot is another good one.

Go to GCD and check out the covers and see which ones you like.

On 11/22/2021 at 12:10 PM, pemart1966 said:

If you're buying slabbed only then you can't go wrong with Turok and Mighty Samson - 1st 60 issues or so with Turok and Mighty Samson - the first 10 or so - some BEAUTIFUL painted covers by various artists.

Space Ghost one shot is another good one.

Go to GCD and check out the covers and see which ones you like.

GCD?