• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eniac, how do we feel about this methodology?
1 1

326 posts in this topic

So I'm interested in the book the story may have some legs. Quite irritated the first prints seem to be impossible to get (Even though it doesn't come out until next month) and I'm not really a fan of the fact that they seem to have intended to manipulate the market that way.

Either way the story looks to have some promise and wanted to see what others thoughts were.

3 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

Pretty sure Bad Idea has lost a lot of good will. To say that my interest in this story, and the rest of their lineup, has plummeted would be an understatement. 

I'm with you there.

A lot of books I was interested in as they were coming out never seemed to make it to the shelves at the LCS's (Ice Cream Man, something is killing the children, Department of Truth among others)

I was able to scoop up a couple NM+ copies  of HaHa when it came out but they were already marked up to $10.

Wild Modern Market

5 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

Pretty sure Bad Idea has lost a lot of good will. To say that my interest in this story, and the rest of their lineup, has plummeted would be an understatement. 

Bad Idea has done nothing to suggest to me they are anything other than perfectly named.  Their entire marketing from the get-go has left me convinced tracking down anything they do isn't worth the effort... In no small part because they're going out of their way to make it an effort even before they actually release anything.

On 2/20/2021 at 6:05 PM, Lurker89 said:

So I'm interested in the book the story may have some legs. Quite irritated the first prints seem to be impossible to get (Even though it doesn't come out until next month) and I'm not really a fan of the fact that they seem to have intended to manipulate the market that way.

Either way the story looks to have some promise and wanted to see what others thoughts were.

define market manipulation and how they profit from it?

17 hours ago, NWOslave said:

define market manipulation and how they profit from it?

1. Owner is active in the market, even on these boards. Hero Trade was tremendously pumped and sold for high prices on the secondary market.

2. Building a buzz in the industry. Higher secondary market prices drive up interest and thus demand, presumably. Look at a book like Something is Killing the Children. Low prints initially, now they are a lot bigger due to earlier books prices going up. Of course, you have to also have a story that people will be interested in.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

1. Owner is active in the market, even on these boards. Hero Trade was tremendously pumped and sold for high prices on the secondary market.

2. Building a buzz in the industry. Higher secondary market prices drive up interest and thus demand, presumably. Look at a book like Something is Killing the Children. Low prints initially, now they are a lot bigger due to earlier books prices going up. Of course, you have to also have a story that people will be interested in.

and other than Dinesh owning the company how is any of this different than what the flippers/scalpers and spec sites do on a daily basis? I dont understand the animosity towards Dinesh and Bad Idea. Is this a conflict of interest?  i get some people are upset their lcs isnt on the initial list but it seems Dinesh is rewarding lcs's for having supported him during his Valiant days. 

1 hour ago, NWOslave said:

and other than Dinesh owning the company how is any of this different than what the flippers/scalpers and spec sites do on a daily basis? I dont understand the animosity towards Dinesh and Bad Idea. Is this a conflict of interest?  i get some people are upset their lcs isnt on the initial list but it seems Dinesh is rewarding lcs's for having supported him during his Valiant days. 

Fell free to make a thread about flippers. This one is about Eniac.

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Fell free to make a thread about flippers. This one is about Eniac.

That's a deflection answer. The OP literally suggest market manipulations in his first post to which you answered but didnt say how if Bad Idea or Dinesh is personally profiting from limiting from their supply or if it was a conflict of interest to do so. So the subject is up for discussion and im just trying to understand this mind set. 

so ill tell you my thinking tell me where you think im wrong. People dont understand Dinesh and company are probably limiting their distribution to stores that they had a relationship at Valiant to reduce risk. which leads me to think they also have the stores best interest in mind by not having them buy extra books they cant sell. you know establish a floor or base of readers to spring board to more copies or books? a complete 90 degree turn compared to Marvel. It's a good idea as it reducing risk as i said before, they know with these stores they have a built in audience of previous Valiant readers that LOVE Dinesh. I know thats my reason for it and the talent they have got on board for their initial books. are they manipulating the market for their benefit, NO NO NO. is there going to be an affect to the secondary market flippers, scalpers oh yes (sorry, not sorry) but i seriously doubt that is a consideration they actually factor in their business decisions. Dinesh and his team are smarter than that. 

Brian Pulido routinely holds copies of rare books he offers as file copies, is that market manipulations for his benifit? 

now if you start seeing a couple of accounts selling eniac with a couple hundred books at inflated prices then you might have a case someone on the inside is selling their back stock stock but until that happens ill hold off on the libel. 

Well I call baloney;

I refreshed Midtown all day waiting for next Wednesday's books (ENIAC) to populate. I know I was within 10 minute of them going on sale, but Midtown says 1st Prints are "sold out." -- I'm frustrated. 

1 hour ago, NWOslave said:

That's a deflection answer. The OP literally suggest market manipulations in his first post to which you answered but didnt say how if Bad Idea or Dinesh is personally profiting from limiting from their supply or if it was a conflict of interest to do so. So the subject is up for discussion and im just trying to understand this mind set. 

so ill tell you my thinking tell me where you think im wrong. People dont understand Dinesh and company are probably limiting their distribution to stores that they had a relationship at Valiant to reduce risk. which leads me to think they also have the stores best interest in mind by not having them buy extra books they cant sell. you know establish a floor or base of readers to spring board to more copies or books? a complete 90 degree turn compared to Marvel. It's a good idea as it reducing risk as i said before, they know with these stores they have a built in audience of previous Valiant readers that LOVE Dinesh. I know thats my reason for it and the talent they have got on board for their initial books. are they manipulating the market for their benefit, NO NO NO. is there going to be an affect to the secondary market flippers, scalpers oh yes (sorry, not sorry) but i seriously doubt that is a consideration they actually factor in their business decisions. Dinesh and his team are smarter than that. 

Brian Pulido routinely holds copies of rare books he offers as file copies, is that market manipulations for his benifit? 

now if you start seeing a couple of accounts selling eniac with a couple hundred books at inflated prices then you might have a case someone on the inside is selling their back stock stock but until that happens ill hold off on the libel. 

Already explained two scenarios. Remainder, TLDR.

On 2/20/2021 at 7:27 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Also, looks like CGC has started grading the bootlegs thinking they are ashcans. It’s a real slab, it’s on the census. 

D7EABB02-221D-4269-960E-9561BA8D862C.thumb.jpeg.9852b0152e24f859e07386191b261369.jpeg

I don’t think “bootleg” is the right word. They were promotional ashcans printed up by an LCS and handed out for free.

6 hours ago, cmixer said:

Well I call baloney;

I refreshed Midtown all day waiting for next Wednesday's books (ENIAC) to populate. I know I was within 10 minute of them going on sale, but Midtown says 1st Prints are "sold out." -- I'm frustrated. 

They may have only been allocated enough to fill pre-orders. 

44 minutes ago, warden5523 said:

I don’t think “bootleg” is the right word. They were promotional ashcans printed up by an LCS and handed out for free.

It wasn’t promotional material created by Bad Idea, so I’ll refer to it as what it is...a bootleg. 

Edited by awakeintheashes