• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze X-Men!
2 2

295 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Kramerica said:
On 4/11/2021 at 1:25 PM, Joe Lindsey said:

Thanks! It’s my best book.. the seller I didn’t really understand why he wouldn’t slab it and why he was selling it raw for so cheap. I still don’t get it🤔

Some folks will avoid the huge turnaround and others just want to sell because they need money. When you submit to CGC you have to invest approx $45 for a book like this. Shipping there. Shipping back including insurance. And then down the road you'll get your book back and be able to sell. So there's time and investment to consider. For a collector like yourself it's a no-brainer - you're getting a great book at a great price. For others there might be a few other things involved. And believe it or not, a lot of folks don't even know about CGC and third party grading. They just collected comics.

The wait is what keeps me from slabbing more ... slabbed definitely brings a higher return if you can wait. I still have a lot of buyers who like reading the actual comic. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

11 hours ago, Kramerica said:

Some folks will avoid the huge turnaround and others just want to sell because they need money. When you submit to CGC you have to invest approx $45 for a book like this. Shipping there. Shipping back including insurance. And then down the road you'll get your book back and be able to sell. So there's time and investment to consider. For a collector like yourself it's a no-brainer - you're getting a great book at a great price. For others there might be a few other things involved. And believe it or not, a lot of folks don't even know about CGC and third party grading. They just collected comics.

Yep you right. Let’s not let em in on the secret 🤫 😄. I paid for the standard tier and it came back quick so grand total was around 90 bucks to grade and receive. Money well spent. From what I read the book didn’t qualify for the modern tier and plus huge fan of the turnaround time 👍

2 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

The wait is what keeps me from slabbing more ... slabbed definitely brings a higher return if you can wait. I still have a lot of buyers who like reading the actual comic. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Me too brother t ☝️🤲🏻God bless you 

On 4/12/2021 at 9:14 AM, HarrisonJohn said:

Circa mid to late 80s my LCS kept all their X-Men back issues (the entire box) behind the register, you had to ask to look through it. This sort of special treatment put me off checking out the book for a while. 

Same here. Behind the counter and they didn’t so much like us kids putting our mittens all over em. Can’t blame em

11 minutes ago, brentdevil said:

What would the cutoff for the last Bronze Age X-Men issue be? Yes, I get in theory it would be the last 1982 cover dated issue, but who knows how these things work. I personally consider 129+ to be Copper.

Ironically I think bronze as a metal has a level of copper in it. I have no clue but that’s a fun fact for the day. Maybe when Wolverine jumped out of the blue and yellow get up? 

Edited by Joe Lindsey

On 2/22/2021 at 3:12 PM, Brock said:

These all bring back memories... I had a goal of collecting every appearance of the New X-Men. Back then, that might have been 200 books - now, it would probably be 20,000.

I remember going through Fantaco's X-Men Chronicles in 1982 to make a full list. Back then, the tough books were thing like The Uncanny X-Men at the State Fair of Texas, which was a whopping $15 in the guides, and incredibly hard to find for me in Canada. Flash forward 40 years, and its probably worth less than I paid back then...

Sorry, you're right, although I see folks trying to sell it for more: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncanny-X-Men-at-the-State-Fair-of-Texas-1-1982-Marvel-Comics-Collectors-Item-/363329296077?hash=item54981d16cd%3Ag%3ATjEAAOSwznxgVr~V&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

On 2/21/2021 at 1:04 PM, KirbyJack said:

The title is too important not to have its own place to showcase every glorious issue. 
I’m a low grade collector generally speaking, so the bar is starting pretty low! 893D5AEB-3172-4356-9030-90AD7201CDE7.thumb.jpeg.7875bc0a5ff1ec0b07df3a51698e80e0.jpeg
5A3B0B54-FFE6-402A-A8BB-0719BCFEC849.thumb.jpeg.ab227ea285f136fc695236f3240a7246.jpeg

A867E4CD-1BF7-4FD1-913F-0142B4A4CD2D.thumb.jpeg.c3d5684b5fd682b55f96e779892bade2.jpeg

D6246858-C979-4467-A248-E3AF5B81A061.thumb.jpeg.1f03eabc51f3ad479a0abe31fcc35978.jpegAF1233B5-7F4F-43E0-97B3-153FE8AEE5B3.thumb.jpeg.e97417d6bb6f90ef1b271ff0e68e600b.jpeg

With prices rising I’m starting to really appreciate low grade copies nowadays.