• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 5 Runs to Collect
3 3

32 posts in this topic

I've been working on collecting Uncanny X-Men. I have 116-329. Now I'm working on filling in 95-115 (I was able to find 94 &101). Also working on completing Wolverine vol. 2 & 3. I'm almost done with those. Need about 30 issues to finish them off. I've also been slowly working on the 1991 X-Men run. 

Avengers and Amazing Spider-Man were goals I set and abandoned many years ago, so when I started collecting again in 2010, those were the titles I went back to. I managed to complete them both in 3-4 years. The early ASM had already gotten fairly expensive, but there were deals to be found using patience. An unexpected financial hit in 2014 forced me to sell ASM 2-99, 121, 122, & 129. When I got things leveled out, I started replenishing all the book I'd sold, and there was a noticeable difference finding deals for those early ones. It took 2 years, but I replaced all the issues I'd sold with similar condition copies. I won't do it again unless I'm getting out, because selling those comics put me in a depression for months.

This question is really only relevant to true collectors so I hope this stays a collector's thread.  Speculators and flippers should start their own thread or post on existing threads about flipping and speculating.

My tastes have changed over the 43 years I have been collecting.  I'm pretty much done buying and am currently downsizing.  I just dumped the bulk of my copper and modern age books along with a fair amount of my bronze age books (all of my ASM except for #100).  Holding on to my SA and GA for the time being.  Having said that I have a few runs I  recently finished off with a handful or 2 close to finishing.  My current interest and focus would be:

1.  Warren Creepy (I'm at 70%)  (Vampirella I have the entire run including the special)

2.  Warren Eerie (I'm at 65%)

3.  Marvel Team-Up (I'm at 96%)

4.  Marvel Premier (I'm at 98%)

5.  And ALL marvel bronze age horror titles along with a few DC (Witching Hour for instance, I'm at 85%).  Since the poster asked for 5 I'm grouping all of these on my 5th entry.  :)

Edited by mcribar

And if you look at my current tastes (mainly horror) and question my avatar.....Know this.... That is Millie the Vampire!  :devil:.   On a serious note I was an active Millie collector in recent years.  But since I'm winding down I just want to finish off what I have a chance to.

The "why" of seeking runs of horror books/mags?  I find the artwork far superior than that majority of super-hero stuff.  I'm talking about GA through BA.  Not much interest in copper/modern.  Most of the stuff published today is indistinguishable.  Looks like everyone is using the same digital processing and you can't even tell the difference between the alleged artists. 

On 4/29/2021 at 11:28 AM, Wolverinex said:

X-men starting with 94

That's actually what I am currently working on now. Focusing on 94 through 143 (end of Claremont and Bryne run) at the moment. Great issues and only missing a few more in that range. 

Ennis' Punisher run in 2000 got me back into comics.  The whole "Welcome Back, Frank" storyline (12 issues) from that time period will always be one of my favorite runs.  I've put together a lot of runs, but nothing super amazing.  I finished my (Uncanny) X-Men run a few years back.  I got lucky with quite a few of the early ones.  I wouldn't be able to touch the series now with the current market craziness.  Like others have stated, my tastes have changed over the years, but I've had a few core series or runs in my collection that I enjoyed putting together.  

1. X-Men
  2. Miller's Daredevil run to include #219, 226-233 and the Man Without Fear #1-5
  3. Punisher (2000) #1-12
  4. IDW's Transformers G1 2005-2018 continuity.  I went full completist mode on this and got all the variants and every cover.  I feel into the the gimmick trap.  All kidding aside, I loved this run until near the end when Hasbro got a little too involved and the storylines too convoluted.  Otherwise I loved the main series and the off shoot minis.  
  5. Can't think of a 5th right now, but Ghosts or Witching Hour will probably go here once I complete those.

On 4/29/2021 at 9:40 AM, mcribar said:

This question is really only relevant to true collectors so I hope this stays a collector's thread.  Speculators and flippers should start their own thread or post on existing threads about flipping and speculating.

My tastes have changed over the 43 years I have been collecting.  I'm pretty much done buying and am currently downsizing.  I just dumped the bulk of my copper and modern age books along with a fair amount of my bronze age books (all of my ASM except for #100).  Holding on to my SA and GA for the time being.  Having said that I have a few runs I  recently finished off with a handful or 2 close to finishing.  My current interest and focus would be:

1.  Warren Creepy (I'm at 70%)  (Vampirella I have the entire run including the special)

2.  Warren Eerie (I'm at 65%)

3.  Marvel Team-Up (I'm at 96%)

4.  Marvel Premier (I'm at 98%)

5.  And ALL marvel bronze age horror titles along with a few DC (Witching Hour for instance, I'm at 85%).  Since the poster asked for 5 I'm grouping all of these on my 5th entry.  :)

You sir have good taste.😎👍