• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four 49 club
3 3

71 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2021 at 6:10 AM, Tghutcn said:

That’s really cool normally you see Stan lees signature but you don’t see to many of Joe Sinnotts I’ve noticed 

No you don't see too many with just a Sinnott. Usually its either just Stan or both Stan/Sinnott. I don't know what to make of a Stan sig on any FF? I mean from what I understand he had limited involvement with the title despite what the cgc label says. Kirby was the actual writer. I don't think it hurts because I think he still had involvement like slight character alterations but far as I know Kirby was the primary creative force behind FF. Stan on ASM or DD is👍 but FF...(shrug) 

Edited by MGsimba77

On 11/25/2021 at 12:00 PM, KirbyJack said:

I’m as big a Jack Kirby fan as you’re likely to find, and even I think Stan was a big part of the FF’s Greatness. Stan wrote the words. Kirby plotted and drew. The conceptual story arcs were often just Kirby, but not always, and Stan was always editing. Kirby tended to forget continuity details: it was easier for Jack to invent a new costume or machine than to re draw an existing one. Stan stayed on top of that stuff, and kept Jack from going too far with a story. Kirby was an idea factory, and without Stan he’d add new elements too quickly, so I add pacing to Stan’s contributions. 

It’s true that Jack Kirby doesn’t get enough credit for the Marvel Age, but Stan Lee was still irreplaceable. 2c

Appreciate you weighing in! I'll definitely defer to your knowledge on Stan's FF role. Yeah the combination of both their creative juices was pure magic! I know theirs no marvel without that prolific combination. They were both giants which made for a less than smooth relationship in their time. It's a fascinating relationship with so much history. I try and read as much as I can find about how they managed.

I think Black Panther was maybe one of the most important examples of Stan's alterations to the original design? I believe he wanted the full mask rather than a half (Batman like) mask and changed the costume to all black?

Since this is a FF49 Galactus/Surfer thread, curious if you have any thoughts on the creative process there? Did it follow the same general pattern of Jack's initial brainstorm followed by Stan's detailing?

On 11/25/2021 at 1:20 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Since this is a FF49 Galactus/Surfer thread, curious if you have any thoughts on the creative process there? Did it follow the same general pattern of Jack's initial brainstorm followed by Stan's detailing?

The folklore says Stan just told Jack to “Have them fight God.” I like to believe it, because it plays so perfectly to Kirby’s strength. No one does gods like The King!

It is a fact, though, that the Silver Surfer was entirely created by Jack Kirby. 

On 11/25/2021 at 11:00 AM, KirbyJack said:

I’m as big a Jack Kirby fan as you’re likely to find, and even I think Stan was a big part of the FF’s Greatness. Stan wrote the words. Kirby plotted and drew. The conceptual story arcs were often just Kirby, but not always, and Stan was always editing. Kirby tended to forget continuity details: it was easier for Jack to invent a new costume or machine than to re draw an existing one. Stan stayed on top of that stuff, and kept Jack from going too far with a story. Kirby was an idea factory, and without Stan he’d add new elements too quickly, so I add pacing to Stan’s contributions. 

It’s true that Jack Kirby doesn’t get enough credit for the Marvel Age, but Stan Lee was still irreplaceable. 2c

I have always likened Stan Lee and Jack Kirby to Paul McCartney and John Lennon. In the case of McCartney and Lennon, they had successful careers as a soloist, but when they worked together, it was on a much higher level. I think that also applies to Lee and Kriby.

I’m glad I have a copy. This book used to be very affordable 5 years ago when I was hunting for a copy. Around $70 would get you a decent copy. I believe I was able to get two. One I kept and one I sold. But I remember buying one from MyComicShop for around $30 and then the next day having my order canceled! It was very low grade but still not cool! :sumo: