• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In person, San Diego Comic summer Convention cancelled, Novermber mini in person con to substitute !

31 posts in this topic

As a long time attendee, since day 1 of SDCC and to have attended 99% of the shows. I have seen in horror as Dealers and  comic Collectors have been placed and rearranged on the convention floor  and forgotten by this convention as the grab for corporate money took priority. There have been board member after board member express frustration and in same cases claim they will never attend again. Well, as Bob Dylan said "the times they are a changing". I have GREAT NEWS......FOR US...the true comic book collector.

There have been a number of GA/SA collectors who have complained about the SDCC and the treatment of the true comic book collectors by the convention both in terms of dealers and attendee's and respect for our history of this convention.. As I posted on the board a couple of weeks/months ago, SDCC in person for July was cancelled. That the next real SDCC will be in summer of 2022. With that in mind, SDCC is going to do an experiment on a "smaller" or Mini con with its focus on where it should be...comic books. Maybe they finally paid attention to the mini comic book con held in LA on the weekend before the by Terry. While we wish the best for everyone, it is clearly a breath of fresh air to bring this show back where it belongs...to the real comic books collectors who attended as  and made this show. It's about time...your comments are welcome...  

Edited by Mmehdy

57 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

As a long time attendee, since day 1 of SDCC and to have attended 99% of the shows. I have seen in horror as Dealers and  comic Collectors have been placed and forgotten by this convention as the grab for corporate money took priority. There have been board member after board member express frustration and in same cases claim they will never attend again. Well, as Bob Dylan said "the times they are a changing". I have GREAT NEWS......FOR US...the true comic book collector.

There have been a number of GA/SA collectors who have complained about the SDCC and the treatment of the true comic book collectors by the convention both in terms of dealers and attendee's. As I posted on the board a couple of weeks/months ago, SDCC in person for July was cancelled. That the next real SDCC will be in summer of 2022. With that in mind, SDCC is going to do an experiment on a "smaller" or Mini con with its focus on where it should be...comic books. Maybe they finally paid attention to the mini comic book con held in LA on the weekend before the by Terry. While we wish the best for everyone, it is clearly a breath of fresh air to bring this show back where it belongs...to the real comic books collectors who attended as  and made this show. It's about time...your comments are appreicated  

It is my understanding that the Nov convention dates will be  NOV 19,20, and 21....which is two days shorter if you include preview night.....

This interesting, I hadn't heard about this. A 3 day show in November? Just comic books?

Isn't there already a strictly comic book multiday show in SD? I went to one and was severely disapointed in the amount and quality of vintage comic book dealers. Was great to socialize but I didn't get much considering the expense of travel to it.

Terry's one day show is last weekend in Jan. Amazing how much better it keeps getting. Terry "gets it" and know how to put on a quality show. Strictly comic centric.

John Dolmayan's one day show the Torpedo Show is also a great one. Put on one day, the Sunday before SDCC. It was started for the benefit of all the folks tired of the hassle and expense of the "media show" in SD. For a serious comic buyer it is a perfect storm. Most all the dealers of SDCC in one room with their SD stock for us to pick early. A half an hour or so drive, cheap parking and admission and more jaw dropping books than you can shake a stick at.

SDCC has been thumbing it's nose at real comic book collectors and dealers for years. NOW they are seeing the light? Might be a little too late on their part. Has the ship already sailed for vintage comics in SD?

The idea of a Nov show with a good stable of out of state dealers piques my interest none the less. Would be interesting to hear a weigh in from some of the quality dealers I used to go to SDCC to see. @MrBedrock @blazingbob @A-1 Comics, INC @Terry's Comics@Superworld@Dale Roberts

What do you guys think? Would you consider this show?

19 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

This interesting, I hadn't heard about this. A 3 day show in November? Just comic books?

Isn't there already a strictly comic book multiday show in SD? I went to one and was severely disapointed in the amount and quality of vintage comic book dealers. Was great to socialize but I didn't get much considering the expense of travel to it.

Terry's one day show is last weekend in Jan. Amazing how much better it keeps getting. Terry "gets it" and know how to put on a quality show. Strictly comic centric.

John Dolmayan's one day show the Torpedo Show is also a great one. Put on one day, the Sunday before SDCC. It was started for the benefit of all the folks tired of the hassle and expense of the "media show" in SD. For a serious comic buyer it is a perfect storm. Most all the dealers of SDCC in one room with their SD stock for us to pick early. A half an hour or so drive, cheap parking and admission and more jaw dropping books than you can shake a stick at.

SDCC has been thumbing it's nose at real comic book collectors and dealers for years. NOW they are seeing the light? Might be a little too late on their part. Has the ship already sailed for vintage comics in SD?

The idea of a Nov show with a good stable of out of state dealers piques my interest none the less. Would be interesting to hear a weigh in from some of the quality dealers I used to go to SDCC to see. @MrBedrock @blazingbob @A-1 Comics, INC @Terry's Comics@Superworld@Dale Roberts

What do you guys think? Would you consider this show?

I literally just saw this post.  I have gotten no details from San Diego at this time.  Until I get more information from them I'm not sure yet.  

it'd be nice if the torpedo show could happen in LA again this summer as it did in 209. great show, wonderful lineup of dealers like @blazingbob @G.A.tor and many others, and no need to go down to SD either. who knows if it will be safe by summer. but i agree with @Robot Man - who really needs sdcc to do this now that terry and john have both started the comics and comic art only shows, pandemic notwithstanding of course. 

24 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

it'd be nice if the torpedo show could happen in LA again this summer as it did in 209. great show, wonderful lineup of dealers like @blazingbob @G.A.tor and many others, and no need to go down to SD either. who knows if it will be safe by summer. but i agree with @Robot Man - who really needs sdcc to do this now that terry and john have both started the comics and comic art only shows, pandemic notwithstanding of course. 

The only way the Torpedo show works if it is just before SDCC. The whole point is having a room full of National dealers with their top stock. Otherwise,  it just becomes a small show with only local dealers. 

11 hours ago, blazingbob said:

I literally just saw this post.  I have gotten no details from San Diego at this time.  Until I get more information from them I'm not sure yet.  

I got an e-mail about it yesterday, but they did not give dates. They said that info would be forthcoming. 

11 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Isn't this better suited for the Comic Events sub-forum?

Comic Events - CGC Comic Book Collectors Chat Boards (cgccomics.com)

Not when vintage comic collectors are asking for the opinions and feedback of other vintage comic collectors.

16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Was reminiscing about last year's show.  Great get-together of comics only and the kind of show that I love, love, love to attend.  Always good to see fellow boardies and great dealers.

49 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Hopefully the USA/Canada border will be open by Nov, 2021 for comic book (non-essential) travel but staying in San Diego county for 14 days quarantine is not that bad.

If there are 14 day quarantines for any of the show destinations that will be a no go on my end.  While I love San Diego not doing that.

I just saw this in the newspaper this morning. Disappointing, of course, but I can’t say I’m surprised. I’ve been going to SDCC since the beginning (March 1970) and I still really enjoy it even though the emphasis shifted away from vintage comics. If a smaller show happens in November I’ll go.

I will only go if it is a strictly comic book centric show and a decent amount of out of state dealers set up.

And no way I will even bother if there is the current system of a “lottery” for tickets, hotels and even parking. 

Their “sister show” WonderCon has none of this. You are given proper notice and enough time to purchase the pass that fits you. 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I will only go if it is a strictly comic book centric show and a decent amount of out of state dealers set up.

And no way I will even bother if there is the current system of a “lottery” for tickets, hotels and even parking. 

Their “sister show” WonderCon has none of this. You are given proper notice and enough time to purchase the pass that fits you. 

My understanding is they will not have as much fluff as usual, there will be some different interests, but comic books will the main focus, but nothing is perfect of the more comic dealers that sign up, the greater the presence.

Right now we have to work on JohnTorpedo having his show the weekend before or after to give some of the long distance travellers a reason to extend their plans. Torpedo could have a Friday through Sunday affair and then a couple of days or in between and then set up for SD and do that as well. Also, if he held his show at the old hotel circle venue where the other smaller intimate SD con happens...🤔

Also hotels should be a lot cheaper in November. 

3 hours ago, Cobbledclam said:

Right now we have to work on JohnTorpedo having his show the weekend before or after to give some of the long distance travellers a reason to extend their plans. Torpedo could have a Friday through Sunday affair and then a couple of days or in between and then set up for SD and do that as well. Also, if he held his show at the old hotel circle venue where the other smaller intimate SD con happens...🤔

Also hotels should be a lot cheaper in November. 

I’m on board with that. I would much rather drive local to LA even if I did it a couple days than drive down to SD and pay for a hotel. Just that much more money to spend with the dealers...:devil:

I'll consider this event if It's not a nightmare to get tickets/Hotel. I quit going to Comic Con the year before Covid since it was hard to get tickets for me and my family (We love C2E2 now and plan to go to ECCC next year). I love the Gaslamp district and would like to spend another 4 hours at Southern California Comics, that shop is awesome.