• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic with Newton rings question

9 posts in this topic

I recently got a copy of amazing Spider-Man 238 at a 9.4, unfortunately upon receiving it it has some pretty bad Newton rings in the worst spot hobgoblins face ugh.  
I was considering getting a reholder done but I’m concerned it will get a lower grade I got the grader notes that say “light foxing and light creases” I uploaded pics and just want advice thanks

AA0C3C7D-5CE1-4BF2-B757-20AD505EECBA.jpeg

7A674841-3599-4769-9812-5CFD9450BF97.jpeg

15A5BC25-A530-4825-8370-A4D20C8A9D12.jpeg

824C865F-B25F-45AB-BF6B-970EF045C17B.jpeg

The good news:  if it’s only a reholder, and the integrity of the slab is certain, then they don’t re-grade it.

The not-so-good news:  there’s no guarantee of the lack of Newton rings with the reholder.

Edited by SOTIcollector

2 hours ago, SOTIcollector said:

The good news:  if it’s only a reholder, and the integrity of the slab is certain, then they don’t re-grade it.

The not-so-good news:  there’s no guarantee of the lack of Newton rings with the reholder.

Is this something I should return as it was never disclosed in my purchase?

1 hour ago, Bloodstorm1 said:

Is this something I should return as it was never disclosed in my purchase?

Nope, because Newton rings are part of CGC cases. They are a common fact and can be looked up and have nothing to do with the condition of the case. It's like ordering a burger at a diner and returning it because they didn't say there was beef in it.

And yeah, a reholder can still give you newton rings, that's the main issue with CGC holders. Could be even worse the second time. Either keep your book or resell it, those are your main options.

...I would worry most about more Newton rings. Seems weird but I was all concerned 2 years ago when I got one back, with Newton rings, now it doesn't even bother me! I think my brain blocked out that they are even there...

4 hours ago, Trifisherjoe said:

...I would worry most about more Newton rings. Seems weird but I was all concerned 2 years ago when I got one back, with Newton rings, now it doesn't even bother me! I think my brain blocked out that they are even there...

Stockholm Syndrome. Soon you will be thinking the newton rings are actually quite attractive.