• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age uk price variants
2 2

105 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2021 at 8:19 PM, Tghutcn said:

That’s a shame we’ll looks like I’m going to have to have a look through my collection and see what I have can’t have it so we go on a extended period  of seeing no books posted in here again 

I agree.  During the week, I will check, too!    For now, if you don't find new ones, post individual pix of that cool x-men run above!   :baiting:

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/9/2021 at 1:22 AM, Pantodude said:

I agree.  During the week, I will check, too!    For now, if you don't find new ones, post individual pix of that cool x-men run above!   :baiting:

Will do I’ve got some warlocks as well coming soon from the same person what should be pence copies 

So here’s a question for all the slab collectors of pence copies what do you register them under cause they where printed at the same time as the us editions but are counted as uk editions on slabs so are they registered as a price variant as they should be or a foreign edition

On 8/9/2021 at 7:59 AM, Tghutcn said:

So here’s a question for all the slab collectors of pence copies what do you register them under cause they where printed at the same time as the us editions but are counted as uk editions on slabs so are they registered as a price variant as they should be or a foreign edition

CGC slabs the last two years refer to the pence books as "U.K. Price Variants," to avoid the confustion caused by CGC's prior practice of slabbing them with "U.K. Edition" on the label.   "Edition" is a no-no as it suggests printed later and also in a foreign location, neither of which apply.  I have a few older CGC slabs with the "Edition" language and it bugs me.  But it's all about the book, and more and more folks are learning about its status as a scarce variant, not edition, so not a biggie.  

Edited by Pantodude

Yeah my bad I didn’t mean to imply they where later prints I’m glad that things have changed so now there uk price variants and I hope this means they can be listed in the uncanny Xmen section of the census under price variant cause that’s what they are just like the Canadian price issues 

On 8/9/2021 at 2:50 PM, Pantodude said:

CGC slabs the last two years refer to the pence books as "U.K. Price Variants," to avoid the confustion caused by CGC's prior practice of slabbing them with "U.K. Edition" on the label.   "Edition" is a no-no as it suggests printed later and also in a foreign location, neither of which apply.  I have a few older CGC slabs with the "Edition" language and it bugs me.  But it's all about the book, and more and more folks are learning about its status as a scarce variant, not edition, so not a biggie.  

In 2019 I pushed for CGC to stop labelling the pence copies that were printed at the same time as their US counterparts (today's UKPVs) as 'UK Editions' primarily to differentiate them from later UK publications which reprinted original US material. At the time, they were labelling both book types as 'UK Edition' and, in doing so, the first printing distinction of UKPVs was being obscured / lost. Effectively, CGC were contributing to the spread of misinformation. Happily, I tipped them over the edge and they started using the term 'UK Price Variant' which is about as accurate as you can get (although I accept some do not like it).

Regarding your second sentence above, 'Edition' does not necessarily indicate a later or foreign printing in itself. If it did, Direct Editions would be in trouble. But whilst the main reason for my 2019 crusade was to get UK Price Variants distinguished as first printings, I did also want CGC to stop using the term 'UK Edition' for subsequent publications which reprinted original US material. That practice was / is also misleading, suggesting as it does that a comparable US original book exists (which it rarely does - there is no US edition of 'Spider-Man Comics Weekly' for example). Alas, I wasn't successful in that second regard and the 'UK Edition' label that CGC illogically insist on using for UK produced books continues to muddy the waters to this day.

The recent decision of CGC's to start labelling UK publications which share the cover - or key content - of an original US book as that US book is another example of their confused labelling approach. I tried to get that overturned too, but they wouldn't budge. I'm still waiting for their official communication on that change by the way.

Books like this one below (graded this year) are a disaster to me:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.4c3f9796d2770473142ff67cfce3ca23.jpg

It is not Tales of Suspense #39, and there is no US original of 'Sinister Tales #23' for this book to be the 'UK Edition' of.

CGC play an increasingly important role in the hobby it seems, whether we like it or not. They are redefining everything from grading standards to restoration. And now they are wilfully labelling books incorrectly to suit a niche need. 

I've spent five years here trying to promote a factual understanding of what books with UK prices on them are whether they were printed alongside original US books or later for a non-US market. I fear that I may have wasted my time.  

On 8/9/2021 at 11:27 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

In 2019 I pushed for CGC to stop labelling the pence copies that were printed at the same time as their US counterparts (today's UKPVs) as 'UK Editions' primarily to differentiate them from later UK publications which reprinted original US material. At the time, they were labelling both book types as 'UK Edition' and, in doing so, the first printing distinction of UKPVs was being obscured / lost. Effectively, CGC were contributing to the spread of misinformation. Happily, I tipped them over the edge.

Regarding your second sentence above, 'Edition' does not necessarily indicate a later or foreign printing in itself. If it did, Direct Editions would be in trouble. But whilst the main reason for my 2019 crusade was to get UK Price Variants distinguished as first printings, I did also want CGC to stop using the term 'UK Edition' for subsequent publications which reprinted original US material. That practice was / is also misleading, suggesting as it does that a comparable US original book exists (which it rarely does - there is no US edition of 'Spider-Man Comics Weekly' for example). Alas, I wasn't successful in that second regard and the 'UK Edition' label that CGC illogically insist on using for UK produced books continues to muddy the waters to this day.

The recent decision of CGC's to start labelling UK publications which share the cover - or key content - of an original US book as that US book is another example of CGC's confused labelling approach. I tried to get that overturned too, but they wouldn't budge. I'm still waiting for their official communication on that change by the way.

It is not Tales of Suspense #39, and there is no US original of 'Sinister Tales #23' for this book to be the 'UK Edition' of.

CGC play an increasingly important role in the hobby it seems, whether we like it or not. They are redefining everything from grading standards to restoration. And now they are wilfully labelling books incorrectly to suit a niche need. 

I've spent five years here trying to promote a factual understanding of what books with UK prices on them are whether they were printed alongside original US books or later for a non-US market. I fear I may have wasted my time.  

This why I try to talk about UK price variants, whenever the opportunity arises.  So much misinformation out there.   Thankfully we have you to catch us when we gloss over something!  (thumbsu  Anyway, your efforts are much appreciated.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 8/9/2021 at 10:27 AM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 8/9/2021 at 8:50 AM, Pantodude said:

In 2019 I pushed for CGC to stop labelling the pence copies that were printed at the same time as their US counterparts (today's UKPVs) as 'UK Editions' primarily to differentiate them from later UK publications which reprinted original US material. At the time, they were labelling both book types as 'UK Edition' and, in doing so, the first printing distinction of UKPVs was being obscured / lost. Effectively, CGC were contributing to the spread of misinformation. Happily, I tipped them over the edge and they started using the term 'UK Price Variant' which is about as accurate as you can get (although I accept some do not like it).

The recent decision of CGC's to start labelling UK publications which share the cover - or key content - of an original US book as that US book is another example of their confused labelling approach. I tried to get that overturned too, but they wouldn't budge. I'm still waiting for their official communication on that change by the way.

I've spent five years here trying to promote a factual understanding of what books with UK prices on them are whether they were printed alongside original US books or later for a non-US market. I fear that I may have wasted my time.  

Thank you for the Clarification :) I took the comment of "later printing" to heart and started contemplating the modern "price edtions." I knew they weren't later printings, but this all needed clarification as to not confuse other editions on the cgc label :whee: 

On 8/9/2021 at 4:39 PM, Pantodude said:

So much misinformation out there

Yep. Shame a lot of it comes from our hosts. Still, they're making a lot of money aren't they, for themselves.

On 8/9/2021 at 5:21 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is the only one that I have, except a X-Men#49 with a Thorpe and Porter stamp :)

There isn't a pence priced #49 Mark so it must be a cents copy. It's not a UK Price Variant therefore - just a cents copy, distributed in the UK. 

On 8/9/2021 at 11:25 AM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 8/9/2021 at 11:21 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is the only one that I have, except a X-Men#49 with a Thorpe and Porter stamp :)

There isn't a pence priced #49 Mark so it must be a cents copy. It's not a UK Price Variant therefore - just a cents copy, distributed in the UK. 

lol That's is why I didn't post it :foryou: but it has a thorpe and porter pence stamp on it, so I thought that I'd just "mention it" :tink: 

On 8/9/2021 at 5:33 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol That's is why I didn't post it :foryou: but it has a thorpe and porter pence stamp on it, so I thought that I'd just "mention it" :tink: 

Good. I wouldn't want you to muddy the waters. That's CGC's job.