• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CGC recognize signature cards
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Looking to see if CGC recognize Signature cards? I know comics are only recognized during signing. What about cards that came authorized through inserts? Looking to see about my Auto Todd McFarelane card auto. 

• Administrator

CGC does not recognize any signatures, as we only grade Pokémon TCG and Magic cards. We will grade cards with signatures, but they go into green Qualified Labels with Unwitnessed Signature on the back.

CSG, our sports card grading company, will grade pack-pulled Autographs. But considering Todd MacFarlane wasn't in a major league sport, I assume it is a card type that neither of our companies will grade, unfortunately.

Paul

On 8/16/2022 at 11:30 AM, Phong Duong said:

would CGC witness a sports card being signed? For example, if Ken Grif was there signing baseball cards, will a CGC rep be there to watch and submit for grading? Will the card slab have a yellow top just like comics?

On 3/5/2021 at 7:52 AM, PaulS. said:

CGC does not recognize any signatures, as we only grade Pokémon TCG and Magic cards. We will grade cards with signatures, but they go into green Qualified Labels with Unwitnessed Signature on the back.

CSG, our sports card grading company, will grade pack-pulled Autographs. But considering Todd MacFarlane wasn't in a major league sport, I assume it is a card type that neither of our companies will grade, unfortunately.

Paul

A CGC or CSG rep can probably answer better, but reading the statement from the CGC person above, the point appears to be moot, unless you are really really interested in the incredibly specific logistics of how sports card companies acquire their official pack-pulled autograph cards that will be issued directly through card packs, and simply do not trust those card companies at all (but have a crazy amount of trust in CGC).  I'm pretty sure the sports card companies have cards signed at non-public events with very specific securities and controls related to what gets signed, and everything is numbered and photographed by the card company.  I don't think their witnesses are CSG or CGC for those types of things, though I guess theoretically I could be wrong about that.

But if I had to guess, CGC or CSG is not witnessing every baseball player sign every card, they're just assuming anything coming out of a pack as an official signature is legit.  I also don't think it would be labeled differently in color, though I could certainly be wrong about that.  If CGC is witnessing every official pack-pulled autograph for every card for every sport for every set without any certainty that they would get eventually paid for grading that card, that would be insane.

Edited by revat

• Administrator
On 8/16/2022 at 2:30 PM, Phong Duong said:

would CGC witness a sports card being signed? For example, if Ken Grif was there signing baseball cards, will a CGC rep be there to watch and submit for grading? Will the card slab have a yellow top just like comics?

No, we would not witness a Sports signing. That is currently only something CGC Comics does.