• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3/5/2021 - Nominating nocutename for the Probation List
5 5

286 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, G G ® ™ said:

2020 AND NOW 2021 seem to the the year of excuses.

Rick Starr thread, excuses. TCC thread, a catalogue of excuses. This thread, yet more excuses and lame justification.

I'm just waiting for 'My dog ate my life savings', and then we will have the complete set. meh 

It all comes out in the end anyways 

8 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

While I completely understand that rules are important and sometimes the principle is what's important, I'll take the risk of alienating everyone so far.  As I've read this, my only thought is "It's $12 for goodness sake.  Cancel the transaction and move on.  Just the time and aggravation involved in posting this has cost you more than $12.  This is now a lose/lose situation."  

I've had numerous buyers contact me a week after I sent an invoice and ask to cancel for various reasons (some just because they changed their mind).  And sometime for $80-$100 for a single book.  I've never seen the value in forcing someone to complete the sale unless there's a lot of money involved or it happens more than once.  If you force them to complete, they can always get it, immediately return it and everyone gets the short end of the stick.

Having said all that, she's clearly in the wrong.  I think we've all probably been there and my advice to her would be "Just eat the shipping and take the hit, move on and learn the lesson.  Don't make it worse by antagonizing sellers."

Anyway, that's my 2c

I always appreciate your thoughts @Randall Dowling...however...principle is exactly what matters...:foryou:

It's the way she handled the situation...a significantly_more_thoughtful_person would have handled it with more grace and tact and "perhaps" @Bio-Rupp would have not felt the need to post this nomination...my $.01...The dollar amount, imo, is irrelevant...what if it was $1200? 

9 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

While I completely understand that rules are important and sometimes the principle is what's important, I'll take the risk of alienating everyone so far.  As I've read this, my only thought is "It's $12 for goodness sake.  Cancel the transaction and move on.  Just the time and aggravation involved in posting this has cost you more than $12.  This is now a lose/lose situation."  

I've had numerous buyers contact me a week after I sent an invoice and ask to cancel for various reasons (some just because they changed their mind).  And sometime for $80-$100 for a single book.  I've never seen the value in forcing someone to complete the sale unless there's a lot of money involved or it happens more than once.  If you force them to complete, they can always get it, immediately return it and everyone gets the short end of the stick.

Having said all that, she's clearly in the wrong.  I think we've all probably been there and my advice to her would be "Just eat the shipping and take the hit, move on and learn the lesson.  Don't make it worse by antagonizing sellers."

Anyway, that's my 2c

I totally understand where you are coming from here and canceling this sale could have been an option.  I agree, it's a miniscule amount to worry about.

Unfortunately the first thing she told me to do was that she would pay for it and I could donate it. 

That was literally the first sentence in her reply PM to my invoice.

I did what she asked and donated the book...which automatically locked me into this transaction and turned it into a monetary loss for me.

She reneged on the initial sale, then reneged on her word and the option that she herself dictated to me to allow her to side-step completing that fair sale.

She took my sales terms and changed them to fit her narrative...then refused to follow her own demands.

My PMs from her mirror those she sent to both Bird and MCS.  All I did wrong to her was send a correct invoice.

I debated all this before coming here.  I attempted resolution.  I offered solutions.  I have continually asked for fairness and patience towards her concerning this situation.

I was, and still am, more than willing to bend for this to turn into a positive transaction.

Unfortunately in this case, my willingness to bend has resulted in me getting bent. (shrug)

xxx ooo

Rupp

Edited by Bio-Rupp
Bad spelling again

The amount involved surely is irrelevant.

As someone previously stated it is a matter of principle. The whole idea of having a Sales Forum on the Boards is based on strict principles, to avoid the minefield which appears hand in hand on other platforms, where sellers frequently get their pants taken down.

Remove the principles and we have Dodge City. 

47 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

I always appreciate your thoughts @Randall Dowling...however...principle is exactly what matters...:foryou:

It's the way she handled the situation...a significantly_more_thoughtful_person would have handled it with more grace and tact and "perhaps" @Bio-Rupp would have not felt the need to post this nomination...my $.01...The dollar amount, imo, is irrelevant...what if it was $1200? 

I can say this @Funnybooks, if she would have said that she would pay for a $1200 book and I could donate it...I definitely would have waited for payment before I gave that book away ;)

@Randall Dowling is correct though, it is a small amount in the big scheme of things. 

The problem here is really the broken commitment of her changing my terms to benefit her situation...which I agreed to do...only for her to then back out. :|

It's just another form of non-payment which now has the added ingredients of animosity and betrayal.

By proceeding forward in this course of action, she ensured that I would lose money. 

I keep asking myself why would she do that?(shrug)

xxx ooo

Rupp

9 hours ago, wombat said:

I'm curious why you don't think this is PL worthy? Is it simply based on the dollar amount of the transaction?

I think it definitely qualifies for PL under the rules. I think it is not PL worthy given the dollar amount. But I appreciate the PSA of this thread. 

It's like no one reads the rules,,,,,no one follows the rules,,,,and everyone wants something for free,,,,,and it's your fault when this senario doesn't pan out for them,,,,,,,,, I am ever so hesitant to sell at all,,,,,,,,,, Kinda sad and pathetic at the same time,,,,, 

11 minutes ago, fast eddie said:

It's like no one reads the rules,,,,,no one follows the rules,,,,and everyone wants something for free,,,,,and it's your fault when this senario doesn't pan out for them,,,,,,,,, I am ever so hesitant to sell at all,,,,,,,,,, Kinda sad and pathetic at the same time,,,,, 

And let's be fair here, virtually every sales thread here has similar or higher shipping costs.  It's very expensive to ship anything now.  nocutename should have assumed or suspected shipping would run her $10 to $15 minimum without reading Rupp's rules.

3 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

It's been said numerous times already in this thread - the dollar amount shouldn't matter one bit. How do you even go about determining what dollar amount would be PL worthy? 

I said it qualifies under the rules but I don’t think it is worthy of being included. My opinion. 

7 minutes ago, Red84 said:

I said it qualifies under the rules but I don’t think it is worthy of being included. My opinion. 

So what’s your minimum $ threshold then?  This is just like the attempted STARR defense - well it’s only ONE transgression, he’s been great otherwise.  And look how that ended up.

17 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Understood but your reply implies you have a dollar amount that you think would make it PL worthy.

8 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Understood but your reply implies you have a dollar amount that you think would make it PL worthy.

Trying to force a buyer to pay is tricky because they could always return it. Trying to force a sale of $12 is a gigantic waste of time. At some point people need to act like adults and just move on.

This is not the first time that @Bio-Rupp has tried to force a sale over $12 or less. If you check out the below thread, you'll see that @Bio-Rupp blew up a relationship with a customer who had previously purchased more than $1,000 worth of books when the buyer decided he wanted to back track on a single $10 purchase to avoid the $14 shipping. Common sense and being reasonable goes a long way in transactions. 

@nocutename acted unprofessionally in her interaction here, but @Bio-Rupp also raises red flags with his lack of reasonableness here.  It's $12. Chalk it up, add to your personal list, and move on.

It's not that complicated!!!

3 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Trying to force a buyer to pay is tricky because they could always return it. Trying to force a sale of $12 is a gigantic waste of time. At some point people need to act like adults and just move on.

This is not the first time that @Bio-Rupp has tried to force a sale over $12 or less. If you check out the below thread, you'll see that @Bio-Rupp blew up a relationship with a customer who had previously purchased more than $1,000 worth of books when the buyer decided he wanted to back track on a single $10 purchase to avoid the $14 shipping. Common sense and being reasonable goes a long way in transactions. 

@nocutename acted unprofessionally in her interaction here, but @Bio-Rupp also raises red flags with his lack of reasonableness here.  It's $12. Chalk it up, add to your personal list, and move on.

It's not that complicated!!!

When I was younger someone I worked with told me "common sense is not so common" - words I still live by.

11 minutes ago, Red84 said:

I understand your side of it, I respect your opinion, and I do agree with you in that it is a small amount.

Humor me for just a bit. ;)

Let's say "Dave" asks you if he can borrow $12 with the promise he'd pay you back tmrw and then he doesn't.

You call "Dave" the following day and also text him about getting your $ back.  "Dave" tells you he will get it to you and then he changes his mind and tells you he's not. 

You tell your mutual friends to please let "Dave" know you just want your $12 back.  It's not much, but it is yours, and you gave it in good faith with an acknowledgement that you'd get it back.

You then get a return text from "Dave" after he found out you told your mutal friends about this...and he angrily tells you that you were definitely not getting your $12 back and to now you could go pound sand. 

Would you be upset?

Maybe or maybe not.  It is a small amount.  That is a given.

Let's say Hollywood sees you a week later and says he says he's on his way to "Dave's" house.   He tells you  " "Dave" called and said he needs $12".

My question to you is... would you warn him to be careful because Dave didn't pay you back?

Or would you let Hollywood suffer the same fate you did?

If you would warn him...that's why I feel this is probation worthy.

It's basically the same scenario.  That warning might save others from losing their $12 too.

All that being said.  I still would love to work this out with her. 

Trust me in that I agree with you, it's such a ridiculously low amount that it unbelievable that it's turned out like this.

xxx ooo

Rupp

7 minutes ago, Bio-Rupp said:

I understand your side of it, I respect your opinion, and I do agree with you in that it is a small amount.

Humor me for just a bit. ;)

Let's say "Dave" asks you if he can borrow $12 with the promise he'd pay you back tmrw and then he doesn't.

You call "Dave" the following day and also text him about getting your $ back.  "Dave" tells you he will get it to you and then he changes his mind and tells you he's not. 

You tell your mutual friends to please let "Dave" know you just want your $12 back.  It's not much, but it is yours, and you gave it in good faith with an acknowledgement that you'd get it back.

You then get a return text from "Dave" after he found out you told your mutal friends about this...and he angrily tells you that you were definitely not getting your $12 back and to now you could go pound sand. 

Would you be upset?

Maybe or maybe not.  It is a small amount.  That is a given.

Let's say Hollywood sees you a week later and says he says he's on his way to "Dave's" house.   He tells you  " "Dave" called and said he needs $12".

My question to you is... would you warn him to be careful because Dave didn't pay you back?

Or would you let Hollywood suffer the same fate you did?

If you would warn him...that's why I feel this is probation worthy.

It's basically the same scenario.  That warning might save others from losing their $12 too.

All that being said.  I still would love to work this out with her. 

Trust me in that I agree with you, it's such a ridiculously low amount that it unbelievable that it's turned out like this.

xxx ooo

Rupp

It's $12.

Like I said earlier, I'm happy for the PSA that this buyer is difficult, but it is pretty much NEVER a good idea to try and force a buyer to make a purchase.

Yes, you gave away the book after she said she'd send you the $12 anyway, but, you should not have given it away before getting paid. She had just broken her word by back tracking on the purchase, and then you're surprised when she back tracks on sending you the $12 after you gave away the book.

Chalk it up as a loss. The thread is here as a warning to others. Putting her on the Probation List over $12 devalues and diminishes the List. My 2c

Edited by Red84
typo