• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Records
4 4

93 posts in this topic

On 3/5/2021 at 4:57 PM, OtherEric said:

So, saw a post by @Number 6, and it reminded me of these.  One of my best-remembered comics from when I was a kid was a Power Records LP, with two Spider-Man stories; one with Man-Wolf and another with Dragon Man.  I probably listened to that and read the comic 20 times growing up; it was just amazing.  I wish I still had it; I should track down a copy.

When I went looking, I couldn't find a thread for these, and couldn't even find a lot of references.  So I decided to start one.  Anybody else have any of these?

Well, since we are speaking about comic records here, does anybody boardie here have those Golden Record Comics Sets that came out even earlier around the mid 60's or thereabout?  hm

If I remember correctly, there were at least 4 of them that came out at the time with a reprint for the comic along with record as a complete set.  I believe they had them for Spidey 1, FF 1, Avengers 4, and JIM 83.  If so, any idea what these would be going for in terms of today's marketplace?  ???

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, since we are speaking about comic records here, does anybody boardie here have those Golden Record Comics Sets that came out even earlier around the mid 60's or thereabout?  hm

If I remember correctly, there were at least 4 of them that came out at the time with a reprint for the comic along with record as a complete set.  I believe they had them for Spidey 1, FF 1, Avengers 4, and JIM 83.  If so, any idea what these would be going for in terms of today's marketplace?  ???

All the Golden Record comic reprints were published in 1966. 

I know there’s Boardies who collect these as I’ve seen them posted about in the Silver Age forum but I can’t recall if there’s actually a thread dedicated to them or not. 

38 minutes ago, Morganmi said:

I loved these when I was a kid. Was looking through my records and found these a couple months ago. Pretty sure I had the Spiderman Man-wolf one and maybe a few others but haven't been able  locate them yet.:)

20210118_112140.jpg

20210118_112241.jpg

Oh wow! Those look bigger than the marvel, might be cause I'm tired lol

Still those white pages, and is the art Adams?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Capital Aaaaaaaaaaa

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Oh wow! Those look bigger than the marvel, might be cause I'm tired lol

Still those white pages, and is the art adams?

I think they are the same regular record sized original ones. Those later ones posted before do look  different though but I'm no expert on these. 

And yes It looks like Adams to me. I forgot to check for sure when I had them out though. :ohnoez::bigsmile:

18 minutes ago, Morganmi said:

I think they are the same regular record sized original ones. Those later ones posted before do look  different though but I'm no expert on these. 

And yes It looks like Adams to me. I forgot to check for sure when I had them out though. :ohnoez::bigsmile:

The cover is Neal Adams, the interior art is credited the Cary Bates

4 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

Are you sure about this? Bates normally just writes. His only art credit on GCD is designing the cover of World's Finest #151 for Curt Swan to draw.

You’re right. 

The credits listed inside the book itself have Elliot S. Maggin and Carry Bates.  I knew Maggin was a writer not an artist, so I assumed Bates was the artist. 

I just looked this book up in the Grand Comics Database. Neal Adams and Giordano are listed as the artists for the cover, Jose Garcia Lopez is listed as the artist on the interior.  

So for some reason the book itself lists both writers, but has no artist credit. 

I asked about these at the local Retro (not record, retro) store last week and they turned these up today.  They were actually in the remnants of the original shrink wrap, but the wrap was damaged enough I went ahead and opened them.  Even with the clipped corner on the one I’m happy with what I paid:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

This thread has been a lot of fun and has inspired me to put together a short set of the Marvel Book and Record Sets.  Is there one in particular that is harder to find that I should snag first and then work my way from there?  And what would you consider most important? The 45 record or the comic book itself? 

Thanks Paul

3 hours ago, picon3 said:

This thread has been a lot of fun and has inspired me to put together a short set of the Marvel Book and Record Sets.  Is there one in particular that is harder to find that I should snag first and then work my way from there?  And what would you consider most important? The 45 record or the comic book itself? 

Thanks Paul

Been thinking the same...

12 hours ago, picon3 said:

Thanks Paul

Lol, this is what I was afraid of, now I have competition.  

As far as what’s “most important”, that’s pretty subjective.  For Marvel, I would venture PR-24 and PR-31 as those are the two sets that have original content  PR-10 and PR-12 reprint Marvel comics that have first appearances  With this crazy market it’s possible some flippers could start hyping those as an alternative to the actual comics.  I think it’s silly, but it might not be a bad idea to pick those up sooner rather than later.  

As far as difficulty, none of the Marvel issues seem to be rare or scarce.  It’s really as hard as you want to make it - the more particular you are about condition and which version you get, the more difficult it’s going to be.

I would say based on purely anecdotal evidence that the Marvel monster issues seem to come up less frequently, but again aren’t rare  

(while the PotA issues were released the same time as the Marvel issues and Marvel was doing PotA comics at the time, the content is by an independent art studio, I don’t see any connection to Marvel so I don’t consider those Marvel issues)

I would discourage trying to marry a loose book and record together. A number of these sets had 2-3 record label variations over the course of their release. Plus, there’s plenty of books available with their accompanying record, trying to piece a set together just seems like making unnecessary work. 

53 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Today’s find.  Does anyone have a checklist of these?

image.jpg

I vaguely remember that being popular due to the falcon, well maybe cap, pretty sure the falcon, but didn't know it was also a record...

Sweet! Pick up!

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

Does anyone have a checklist of these?

1974 releases

PR10  Spider-Man

PR11  Incredible Hulk

PR12  Captain America

PR13  Fantastic Four

PR14  Frankenstein

PR15  Dracula

PR16  Man-Thing

PR17  Wolf-Man (Werewolf by Night)

PR 18  Planet of the Apes

PR19  Escape from the Planet of the Apes

PR20  Beneath the Planet of the Apes

PR21  Battle for the Planet of the Apes

PR24  Spider-Man - Invasion of the Dragon Men

1975 releases

PR25  Star Trek - Passage to Moauv

PR26  Star Trek - Crier in Emptiness

PR27  Batman - Stacked Cards

PR28  Superman - Alien Creatures

1976 releases

PR29  Space: 1999 - Breakaway

PR30  Batman - Robin Meets Man-Bat

PR31  Conan

PR32  Space: 1999 - Return to the Beginning

1978 releases

PR33  Superman - Man From Krypton

PR34  Superman - City Under Siege

PR35  Wonder Woman

PR36  Holo-Man

1979 releases

PR25 with photo cover

PR26 with photo cover

PR45  Star Trek - Dinosaur Planet

PR46  Star Trek - Robot Masters

1981 releases*

PR10 with new cover art

PR11 with new cover art

PR37  Robin Hood

PR39  Huckleberry Finn

PR40  Davy Crockett

PR41  Robinson Crusoe

PR42  20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

*Even though PR37-42 have numbering that proceeds the 1979 releases, Grand Comics Database has them listed as 1981 releases.  There's no copyright dates anywhere on the books or the records, but based on the Book and Record logo (with no picture of kids listening to a record player) it seems to match the copy of the other 1981 re-releases.

The inside back flap of the 1979 releases and the back cover of the classic literature issues list PR38 Moby , PR43 Last of the Mohicans, and PR44 Gulliver's Travels.  These aren't listed in the Grand Comics Database and I've never seen them turn up for sale so I don't know that they actually exist.

There is a release of PR31 with no price on the cover and the copyright information on the spine has been changed to 1981, so likely the 1981 re-issue but other than that appears to be the same as the original 1976 release.

This came in the mail last week:

5709284C-1068-43B9-B8E9-39B91C57FAE9.thumb.jpeg.37ad747298483bff26fe72426a8b0970.jpeg

424F1AE2-F9DA-4BAC-AF36-93E971CBEB34.thumb.jpeg.423a568c473ce9f6ec3ec1bfe4f24b97.jpeg

It was intended for an upgrade for the copy I already have but this might be nice enough to submit for CGC grading. 

It’s a bit flatter than it looks in the pics though I may have RMA take a look at it if I do submit it. A spine stress on the front, a couple on the back, a couple of slight bend indents on the back cover. A hint of wear to the outside corners. If it could hit at least 9.0 that would be cool. 

Interesting note: unlike all the previous sets with the $1.98 red price sticker where the original price is (usually) punched out, the sticker applied over the hole and then the book was shrink wrapped, this has the sticker on the outside of the shrink wrap.