• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All time greatest SA comic book which influenced your life as a true comic book collector.
1 1

28 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, nmtg9 said:

This is my Dad's story. He has advanced dementia now so his story is lost to him. 

Growing up he didn't have a great home life so I think he escaped into comics,cowboy books of the 50s and so forth. In 1962 he was 17. There was a young girl he quite liked who worked in a newsagents where he would buy his comics, so he would go in there quite often. There was one comic in there he said that looked different to all those he'd seen before. 

It was hung on a peg and piece of string above the counter. Eventually he bought it. AF15 was the start of his collection and a fascination with comics that continues through me to this day. 

That copy was sold in 1980 when my parents split. I was 8 and didn't get to see or hold it. I sold the collection in the nineties when I was a poor student but started collecting again about 14 years ago. So thankfully he got to see my collection before the dementia took hold, no AF15 but a great collection still. 

He won't have long left to be honest and my wife thinks it would be fitting to buy an AF15 with the inheritance, kinda bring it full circle. Either way, that comic started something that is still going strong nearly 60 years later. 

Neil

Aye,that brought a tear.

Giant-Size Fantastic Four 6, a reprint of FF annual 6, was the comic that made permanent my fascination with comics. Two neighbor kids (Doug and Andy) and I all bought copies. We liked it so much, we read it aloud together, like a -script! I read my first copy to shreds, and bought Doug's copy. Read that to pieces, then stole Andy's. 

Before FF annual 6 got expensive, I used to hoard it and give them away to deserving nerds. Then I switched to the giant-size, but that priced itself out pretty quickly.  

Edited by KirbyJack

Star Wars 4 I think was the first comic I got. My parents bought it for me shortly after the movie. 

A bit later I would also collect comics like Firestorm, Swamp Thing, Teen Titans, X-Men and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

But it was Crisis on the Infinite Earths that sparked my obsession with comics and learning about the history.

I was out of money and my grandfather bought it for me at Comix and Comix in Citrus Heights.

58 minutes ago, Rip said:

Star Wars 4 I think was the first comic I got. My parents bought it for me shortly after the movie. 

A bit later I would also collect comics like Firestorm, Swamp Thing, Teen Titans, X-Men and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

But it was Crisis on the Infinite Earths that sparked my obsession with comics and learning about the history.

I was out of money and my grandfather bought it for me at Comix and Comix in Citrus Heights.

I can clearly remember as a seven or eight year old staring wide eyed at the cover to the Crisis #7 issue.I knew for sure there was no way my grandparents were going to buy me that one from the 7-11.

11 hours ago, nmtg9 said:

This is my Dad's story. He has advanced dementia now so his story is lost to him. 

Growing up he didn't have a great home life so I think he escaped into comics,cowboy books of the 50s and so forth. In 1962 he was 17. There was a young girl he quite liked who worked in a newsagents where he would buy his comics, so he would go in there quite often. There was one comic in there he said that looked different to all those he'd seen before. 

It was hung on a peg and piece of string above the counter. Eventually he bought it. AF15 was the start of his collection and a fascination with comics that continues through me to this day. 

That copy was sold in 1980 when my parents split. I was 8 and didn't get to see or hold it. I sold the collection in the nineties when I was a poor student but started collecting again about 14 years ago. So thankfully he got to see my collection before the dementia took hold, no AF15 but a great collection still. 

He won't have long left to be honest and my wife thinks it would be fitting to buy an AF15 with the inheritance, kinda bring it full circle. Either way, that comic started something that is still going strong nearly 60 years later. 

Neil

GL Neil!  I can relate to your father escaping into comics. They were often my outlet growing up.  I hope you find that AF15. 

12 hours ago, nmtg9 said:

Neil

Been there Neil.  Mother died after 10 painful years of dementia.  It's a soul rendering time but hang in there.  Buying an AF15 to bring it full circle sounds perfect.

8 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Been there Neil.  Mother died after 10 painful years of dementia.  It's a soul rendering time but hang in there.  Buying an AF15 to bring it full circle sounds perfect.

Aw Dave,I didn't know,sorry to hear that and sorry for your loss.I remember talking about your mom with you in years passed :foryou:.That brought a tear too.

2 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Thanks, but I wish I'd taken better care of a lot of them.  It seems my Actions survived the best...like these three...I don't know why they still look like new.  hm

16428068393_6b4cd0ddd4_c.jpg

I was going to,say maybe you didn't read as often but this cover makes me think I'd have read the heck out of it.

That era Supes was never great reading for me.