• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All time greatest SA comic book which influenced your life as a true comic book collector.
1 1

28 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:

I was going to,say maybe you didn't read as often but this cover makes me think I'd have read the heck out of it.

That era Supes was never great reading for me.

I had never read a Marvel comic, so I didn't know any better yet...:roflmao:

I actually know why the Action's survived so well...I put 4 of them in each plastic produce bag from Safeway, and they stayed in those bags until the late 90s when I put them all in mylite 2s. :whatthe:

3 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I had never read a Marvel comic, so I didn't know any better yet...:roflmao:

I actually know why the Action's survived so well...I put 4 of them in each plastic produce bag from Safeway, and they stayed in those bags until the late 90s when I put them all in mylite 2s. :whatthe:

I used plastic produce bags when I was a kid too!Buying bags and boards made for less comic money.

I wish I could remember the first SA ASM I purchased but recall buying a stack of them on my first Comic venture across to Detroit from Windsor (late 1980’s). It took me a long time to find all those Ditko and Romita books.

I was as interested in keeping up with all the supporting characters, and yes, they shouldn’t have killed off Gwen.

Adventure Comics #370.

Admittedly, I got this book well after the fact, some time in the mid-80's, at a swap meet; since I'm personally early bronze age.  But it was the first Legion of Super-Heroes story I had ever read, although I had read about them in Who's Who not long before.  The story was part two, but it brought you up to speed quickly enough.  I still think it's a masterpiece by Shooter & Swan, and I was hooked on the Legion instantly.  Somewhere between 20 & 25 years later, I finished off my LSH back issue hunt when I finally got a very beat up copy of Adventure #247, but it all started with that swap meet find.

image.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

The first comic I read was FF#39 when I was about 7. Weirdly, someone had dropped it near our front yard (we lived in a semi-rural area then) so it was like manna from heaven. The first I bought with my own shilling was DD11 so that one is the foundation of my collection. And yes Marvel comics back then did provide refuge from some tough times.

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

Adventure Comics #370.

Admittedly, I got this book well after the fact, some time in the mid-80's, at a swap meet; since I'm personally early bronze age.  But it was the first Legion of Super-Heroes story I had ever read, although I had read about them in Who's Who not long before.  The story was part two, but it brought you up to speed quickly enough.  I still think it's a masterpiece by Shooter & Swan, and I was hooked on the Legion instantly.  Somewhere between 20 & 25 years later, I finished off my LSH back issue hunt when I finally got a very beat up copy of Adventure #247, but it all started with that swap meet find.

image.jpg

I've never seen or read that issue.  I stopped buying Adventure off the racks with this issue:

22250981061_1ac1baed5a_c.jpg

Something about this story has always stuck with me. I was only eight years old when it came out, but looking back, it was probably the first human interest story in comics I’d read (also with no super-villain) that made it stand out to me. Its relevance is timeless. My original copy is long gone. 
60E2F834-29C2-497D-84B9-065523D4EB21.thumb.jpeg.2881f4e138653df9c500b1d136aba186.jpeg