• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bigger Silver Age Key: X-Men 1 or ASM 1?
1 1

Bigger Silver Age Key: X-Men 1 or ASM 1  

76 members have voted

1. 1. What’s the Bigger Silver Age Key?

• X-Men 1
    • Amazing Spider-Man 1
    • Don’t know/unsure

37 posts in this topic

It would be interesting to run a pole like this: 

Assuming all books are the same grade and PQ, which SA key would you want to own. 

X1 / FF1 / IH1 / JIM83 / TOS39 / DD1 / Avengers 1 

I would be curious to see how they rank. I imagine DD1 and AV1  would be the bottom still. The top would be interesting without AF15 included.  I believe FF1 would win. But I'm not 100% sure. 

5 minutes ago, piper said:

XM1 might be the bigger key, but ASM 1 is more important to me and it’s not close. 

In fact in terms of keys, I’d rather own IH181 and GSX1.

When Marvel finally gets around to making the X-Men movie it will be interesting to see if X-Men #1 or GSX #1 benefits the most...

As others have mentioned, the original X-Men series did poorly enough that it ended up getting cancelled (Neal Adams couldn't even save it :smile:), and it took the new team to make the X-Men what they are today.

2 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

Assuming all books are the same grade and PQ, which SA key would you want to own. 

I would be curious to see how they rank. I imagine DD1 and AV1  would be the bottom still. The top would be interesting without AF15 included.  I believe FF1 would win. But I'm not 100% sure. 

I would rank FF #1 at the top of that list...

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

Hulk 1 for me.

It should be X-Men #1.  ASM #1 isn't Spidey's first appearance. That alone does it.  ASM #1 is a great book, and obviously an important one. It just can't be compared to X-Men #1 the way AF #15 would.

As far as impact future MCU X-Men films will have, I think it'll be interesting to see which of the big X keys turns out to be THE book but I'd guess things won't change too much. both X-Men #1 and GSX #1 will continue to be the big two, will continue to get more expensive. Maybe not equally in the end, but collectors will continue to keep both of them in very high demand.

12 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:

I have nothing against FF but for now they are no where near the top 5 in the SA. We will see they made Superman movies but he is still not cared about like say Batman.

from: https://nypost.com/2020/03/11/americans-reveal-their-favorite-superhero/

This is from March 2020:

America’s top ten favorite superheroes

1. Superman
  2. Spider-Man
  3. Batman
  4. Captain America
  5. Iron Man
  6. Wonder Woman
  7. Aquaman
  8. Captain Marvel
  9. Black Panther
  10. Wolverine

A survey of 2,000 Americans pinpointed respondents’ favorite heroes and Superman led the pack with 47 percent of the vote.

The top three was rounded out by Spider-Man (46 percent) and Batman (45 percent), with Captain America (42 percent) and Iron Man (41 percent) not far behind.

-bc

2 hours ago, october said:

Yet. Wait until Marvel gets through with the FF. Not may people cared about the Guardians, Black Panther, etc pre-movies either. 

Good luck with that. Banking on an FF movie changing public perception is a fool's errand. Somehow, with Disney producing, the 5th time will be the charm?

The thing is, two of the four FF movies were actually pretty good. Perfect? No. But assuming that a Disney version will somehow make popular a team that's already been seen on-screen four times seems like a lot of wishful thinking...

I would probably buy every book ever, before ASM #1. The cover is just blah. And no huge first appearances, if you're a Spidey run collector, I get it. 

I've had 3 AF15s, and that book is/was super cool to own. I've had 2 X-men #1s, still currently own a copy, so I guess it's X-Men #1 for me. Plus, loved most of the Fox X-Men movies.

Today I just followed a someone at IG who has all the grails mentioned here, XMen1, GSX1, ASM1, AF15, Hulk1, ToS39, FF1, FF48, JiM83, IH181, ASM129, Ave1, Ave57, DD1 plus many more silver age goodies.....all in 9+ grade, and he just keeps them in plastic/board....amazing

prolly one of you guys 😜......or maybe not, since he said he's not into graded/slab 

13 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

Today I just followed a someone at IG who has all the grails mentioned here, XMen1, GSX1, ASM1, AF15, Hulk1, ToS39, FF1, FF48, JiM83, IH181, ASM129, Ave1, Ave57, DD1 plus many more silver age goodies.....all in 9+ grade, and he just keeps them in plastic/board....amazing

prolly one of you guys 😜......or maybe not, since he said he's not into graded/slab 

Let’s hope there is no resto...