• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Magazine Checklist
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Right off the bat if you are including the Curtis line you could add these too...

1AD29768-CAA5-4629-9DF4-A142ED40321B.jpeg.1ce8f7bf4cc358cbc529a87567528cf8.jpeg

FF66D74F-C2AD-44CE-B9F9-9EE16708C077.jpeg.69c631849b23c91857ff3b47cdcc247e.jpeg

44C89CA4-D72B-43F7-B738-D031DA9272CE.jpeg.a23cbd267588e8e07cdbc00224391c80.jpeg

If you add the Magazine Management line there would be others. 

There’s not a lot of them but I also “group” the Atlas/Seaboard magazine titles in with my Marvel books since it’s was done by Martin Goodman in his brief post Marvel life. Certainly not Marvel titles there but in my opinion part of the Marvel comics history since Atlas/Seaboard was his attempt at going head to head with his old company Marvel.

I would also note that Gothic Tales of Love #1-3 exist with 60 cent and 75 cent versions on all three issues and there is a foreign variant (I don’t remember the country) of Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction #1 with the original cover art used (see below).

C3EB26E8-93C4-47F9-BDDA-9C1C790CBAD7.jpeg.f663707d8f076d706a48b109fa67f854.jpeg

B3737A60-88BF-4740-9DB7-C93F23CD06EA.jpeg.96ce936903d6d089b438ed9f57926b06.jpeg

E325D960-E101-4C34-AEEF-06B1A2E2708D.thumb.jpeg.883b919df20fb8346e9338f2236ccb51.jpeg

@N e r V:  Thank you.  I added the three Curtis books and the comment on the price variants on Gothic Tales of Love, as well as Pizzazz and Foom.  I'm not including Blip as it's a comic-sized publication, as far as I know. 

I think the Atlas/Seaboard books are a bit beyond the scope of a Marvel Magazine checklist; although I agree they (and the whole line) are definitely of interest as an offshoot of Marvel.

Not 100% sure what you mean by the "Magazine Management" line, the name sounds familiar.  In general, I think covering everything Goodman put out is, while an interesting list in its own right, a bit beyond the scope of a list of Marvel Magazines.  Curtis was predominately comic related books, so I'm more willing to be inclusive with those.

I'm leaning against mentioning the Spectacular Spider-Man variant, since as I understand it that was a Canadian variant.  Similarly, mentioning the unedited Freas cover on Unknown Worlds is interesting, but a little beyond the scope of the list.  If I was to start adding foreign editions, just the UK Marvels would swamp the list.

With all that said, I'm not creating this list just for myself; I want to get the list as a tool for all of us here in the forums who want it.  I'm absolutely willing to be overruled by the group on what I include; so please speak up if you disagree with my choices!

3 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

@N e r V:  Thank you.  I added the three Curtis books and the comment on the price variants on Gothic Tales of Love, as well as Pizzazz and Foom.  I'm not including Blip as it's a comic-sized publication, as far as I know. 

I think the Atlas/Seaboard books are a bit beyond the scope of a Marvel Magazine checklist; although I agree they (and the whole line) are definitely of interest as an offshoot of Marvel.

Not 100% sure what you mean by the "Magazine Management" line, the name sounds familiar.  In general, I think covering everything Goodman put out is, while an interesting list in its own right, a bit beyond the scope of a list of Marvel Magazines.  Curtis was predominately comic related books, so I'm more willing to be inclusive with those.

I'm leaning against mentioning the Spectacular Spider-Man variant, since as I understand it that was a Canadian variant.  Similarly, mentioning the unedited Freas cover on Unknown Worlds is interesting, but a little beyond the scope of the list.  If I was to start adding foreign editions, just the UK Marvels would swamp the list.

With all that said, I'm not creating this list just for myself; I want to get the list as a tool for all of us here in the forums who want it.  I'm absolutely willing to be overruled by the group on what I include; so please speak up if you disagree with my choices!

It’s been a while but you’re right about Blip being comic sized in format. I forgot. I didn’t expect you to add the Atlas/Seaboard line just mentioning my own collecting style of grouping things. I completely agree about the Canadian copy on Spectacular Spider-Man #1 myself but some seem intent on calling Canadian copies as variants and this is one of the more sought after Canadian copies now since the original edition as you can see was also available in both the US and Canada hence the 35 and 40 cent price on the cover so this edition is slightly unique as far as Canadian editions go. Not sure if I’ve ever heard of something like this with two Canadian versions of a book. Your call either way.

I’ll cut and paste the story on Curtis and Magazine Management below for you...

Curtis Magazines

Curtis Magazines.png
Curtis Magazines.jpg

Curtis Magazines was the name of an imprint used by Marvel Comics to publish black and white magazines in the early 1970s. The magazine format was not covered by the rules set forth by the Comics Code Authority, which Marvel used as a means to publish more adult-themed titles that depicted profanity, violence, and nudity that would have otherwise been barred.

While many of the titles centered on Marvel characters, others featured creator-owned characters, while some featured no comic aspects at all, and instead ran text articles and interviews.

While the imprint only ran from 1971 to 1975, some titles from the imprint continued publication under the name Magazine Management 

Magazine Management Co.

Magazine Management Co. was the name of an imprint used by Marvel Comics to publish black and white magazines in the 1970s. While the imprint published comics featuring both Marvel heroes and creator-owned properties, it also experimented with traditonal news magazine formats and text-based stories.

Originally exisiting as a large publishing company, of which Marvel Comics was a branch, Magazine Management Co. published men's adventure magazines, popular film magazines, and erotic comics starting in the 1950s before being renamed Marvel Comics Group in 1973. The company's other branch was Humorama, which solely published sensual, but non-nude, "girly" comics.

The Magazine Management Co. logo first began appearing as an imprint in 1974, alongside Marvel's other magazine imprint, Curtis Magazines. However, the Curtis Magazines name would be phased out by the spring of 1976, and all magazine titles were moved to Magazine Management Co.'s banner.

The imprint ran steadily until 1981 when Marvel phased out the declining magazine format. The only remaining title, Savage Sword of Conan, was moved to the main Marvel Comics line in the spring of 1983 with the subtitle A Marvel Magazine, starting with issue #99.

5 minutes ago, N e r V said:

It’s been a while but you’re right about Blip being comic sized in format. I forgot. I didn’t expect you to add the Atlas/Seaboard line just mentioning my own collecting style of grouping things. I completely agree about the Canadian copy on Spectacular Spider-Man #1 myself but some seem intent on calling Canadian copies as variants and this is one of the more sought after Canadian copies now since the original edition as you can see was also available in both the US and Canada hence the 35 and 40 cent price on the cover so this edition is slightly unique as far as Canadian editions go. Not sure if I’ve ever heard of something like this with two Canadian versions of a book. Your call either way.

I’ll cut and paste the story on Curtis and Magazine Management below for you...

I went ahead and added the variant on the Spectacular Spider-Man #1., after all.  It's not like there are a LOT of variants; although I draw the line on including newsstand/ direct as variants, personally.

Books that I'm not including on the list, at least to start, but want opinions on:  Marvel Graphic Novels (books, not magazines; even if they're in the magazine trim size); and the Marvel Swimsuit Specials and other 90's poster/ anniversary books, mostly because I don't think most of the people here collecting Marvel Magazines consider them as part of the list.  But I could be wrong.

17 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I went ahead and added the variant on the Spectacular Spider-Man #1., after all.  It's not like there are a LOT of variants; although I draw the line on including newsstand/ direct as variants, personally.

Books that I'm not including on the list, at least to start, but want opinions on:  Marvel Graphic Novels (books, not magazines; even if they're in the magazine trim size); and the Marvel Swimsuit Specials and other 90's poster/ anniversary books, mostly because I don't think most of the people here collecting Marvel Magazines consider them as part of the list.  But I could be wrong.

Lol...well not to overwhelm you but I completely forgot there is another sister publication to Spectacular Spider-Man #1 that had the same type of variant...Pussycat! So I was wrong but there are two unique Canadian variants (CGC notes them too) that had two Canadian editions. I included scans for you on Pussycat...D5293C6F-601F-490C-8AAA-0707BF315D29.thumb.jpeg.a616ca2b86a676009057a31338360ea5.jpeg

B8CE7536-0C45-4D81-8EFF-62FD0CDFED46.thumb.jpeg.94ade9391bf5a82f158f304216d77e68.jpeg

My guess on both was that Marvel printed the first run with both prices and later blocked out the 35 cent price for Canadian customers. Not sure what happened there that caused this to happen. Maybe first runs sold out in Canada? Who knows but it’s a story in Marvels magazine history. Both command a premium as variants as being scarcer...

Edited by N e r V

You could also overwhelm yourself with the original magazines in the 1960’s published by Marvel like Cartoons and Gags or Laugh Parade that contained the original Pussycat stories...

13 minutes ago, N e r V said:

You could also overwhelm yourself with the original magazines in the 1960’s published by Marvel like Cartoons and Gags or Laugh Parade that contained the original Pussycat stories...

I try doing that, and I won't stop until I include this, with it's one page Human Torch story:

Marvel_Science_2_2.jpg

6 hours ago, N e r V said:

Curtis Magazines

Curtis Magazines.png
Curtis Magazines.jpg

Curtis Magazines was the name of an imprint used by Marvel Comics to publish black and white magazines in the early 1970s. The magazine format was not covered by the rules set forth by the Comics Code Authority, which Marvel used as a means to publish more adult-themed titles that depicted profanity, violence, and nudity that would have otherwise been barred.

While many of the titles centered on Marvel characters, others featured creator-owned characters, while some featured no comic aspects at all, and instead ran text articles and interviews.

While the imprint only ran from 1971 to 1975, some titles from the imprint continued publication under the name Magazine Management 

Magazine Management Co.

Magazine Management Co. was the name of an imprint used by Marvel Comics to publish black and white magazines in the 1970s. While the imprint published comics featuring both Marvel heroes and creator-owned properties, it also experimented with traditonal news magazine formats and text-based stories.

Originally exisiting as a large publishing company, of which Marvel Comics was a branch, Magazine Management Co. published men's adventure magazines, popular film magazines, and erotic comics starting in the 1950s before being renamed Marvel Comics Group in 1973. The company's other branch was Humorama, which solely published sensual, but non-nude, "girly" comics.

The Magazine Management Co. logo first began appearing as an imprint in 1974, alongside Marvel's other magazine imprint, Curtis Magazines. However, the Curtis Magazines name would be phased out by the spring of 1976, and all magazine titles were moved to Magazine Management Co.'s banner.

The imprint ran steadily until 1981 when Marvel phased out the declining magazine format. The only remaining title, Savage Sword of Conan, was moved to the main Marvel Comics line in the spring of 1983 with the subtitle A Marvel Magazine, starting with issue #99.

@N e r V Thanks for this! 

@Get Marwood & I, @Jayman: I'm willing to add all of those if people think they should be added; with the exception of the Creem which is, as Get Marwood & I says, really belongs to a separate list.  My problem is I don't have a lot of knowledge on those books and would need help listing them.  Here's what I've got to add looking at what's been posted, if somebody could verify the data before I merge it:

Marvel Monsters Poster Book: 1

Marvel Preview '93: 1

Marvel Swimsuit Special: 1991-1995

Marvel Year in Review: 1989-1993, 1994 was comic book format

Pro Action v1n1; v2n1-v2n3