• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spidey Super Stories Thread
3 3

112 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, comic_memories said:

You brought it up and your worried about the effect its already having on the market, not me..  This is the FIRST regardless of how you slice it.  Like most views it takes people a while to accept the change.  Some will and some wont. Thats just how people are.

I'm not at all worried about it, I just find it amusing. It's a first, but not every first matters. Amazing Spider-Man 414 is the first appearance of Delilah! She appears more than once too. Still doesn't trade for any more than the common back issues before or after it. I'm not saying that it won't continue to be remarked as a first by some, just that it won't impact the value anymore very soon. That won't be why people care about the issue. IMO and ofc I could be wrong.

And even if I DID believe this was going to permanently impact the market for this book... I already have my copy...

The whole thing is a dream sequence BTW so non canon :)

Does it mean the owner of these pieces will be able to retire?  Note the Hulk cameo in the first.

Lot of great Spidey items in that gallery including the now famous Thanos Copter splash. The owner mentions paying the going rate of $50 for the Thanos splash over 20 years ago, that being the case what did the #1 pages below cost way back then? $20 $15 perhaps $10 ?  My guess is just someone who did not have big money to spend on art probably picked up a small pile of Spidey Super Stories pages for very little as back then was consider junk comic art - held them for 2 decades (as for no one else most of that time woudl have wanted them) and beat the S&P 500 by quite a bit.  Better to be lucky than good :) 

Cool Mortimer art in the series too bad Win is so very underrated. Nice clean line art.

Spidey1p23.jpg

Spidey1p25.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

1 hour ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

Was the Cat supposed to be Patsy Walker or Greer Nelson?  She was drawn with red hair like Patsy on the cover, but dark hair like Greer in the story.

My guess is it's sort of both or sort of neither. An amalgam of the 2 but with touches neither had.   As you mentioned on the cover red hair, red hair on back cover too. On the now iconic Thanos Copter splash hair is reddish brown with red highlights same with the 2 pages that follow it. Then it varies by panel between darker hair and reddish.

"These comics are easy to read" even if many of the story's are unintelligible :)

Edited by MAR1979

6 hours ago, MAR1979 said:

"These comics are easy to read" even if many of the story's are unintelligible :)

They are pretty goofy but they do have a certain charm to them. The Thanos issue is hilarious. Don't the police take him into custody at the end of the story? lol 

2 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

They are pretty goofy but they do have a certain charm to them. The Thanos issue is hilarious. Don't the police take him into custody at the end of the story? lol 

The issues are, from the perspective of an adult comic collector, demented and hilarious.  I love them.

13 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Yep in cuffs. Salicrup is a genius :)

2 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

I meant to only collect ASM Vol 1... now I also have Spider-Man Vol 1... working on Spectacular and Web of Vol 1... and looks like I need these too. The art is fantastic throughout, plus the first appearance of Morgan Freeman in comics. Folks are sleeping on that one! :roflmao:

"Top To Bottom, Left To Right, That Reading Stuff Is Out Of Site"

sss53p17-easyreader-s.jpg

As he was otherwise not in this story, an E.Z. Reader Photobomb in panel 3

Spidey39p20.thumb.jpg.c23e536c4bb8288bf07e1b6a24bdd305.jpg

Above is one of mine as I've some Spidey pages but none of them compare to the stuff on CAF.   This one is from the classic #39, but figures my luck in not from either the Ms. Marvel or Thanos stories :)   As I recall I picked it up as it sort of looked like Yankee Stadium in the middle row panels.

Edited by MAR1979