Video Game Chit Chat Is Welcome!! PlayStation 5/XBox Series X scalping...did you/will you pay inflated prices?
4 4

Scalped PlayStation 5/XBox Series X console  

67 members have voted

  1. 1. Have you/will you purchase(d) a PS5 at retailer or scalper price?

    • Retailer
      31
    • Scalper
      1
    • I’d rather buy comic books
      23
    • I have better things to do with my hard earned stimulus check
      12


722 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

Waiting on a new RTX video card. Same issues as the PS5. Just going to be patient.

I may need to do more research on this.  GeForce, I’m guessing?  Does it have a major selling point?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

I may need to do more research on this.  GeForce, I’m guessing?  Does it have a major selling point?

The major selling point for me is that I cant play Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 at any sort of a reasonable FPS and graphics settings without one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RedRaven said:

The major selling point for me is that I cant play Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 at any sort of a reasonable FPS and graphics settings without one.

Ah.  Makes sense.  The last big PC game I played was Assassin’s Creed Unity.  I had Origin build me computer to handle the game, and then some.  Still more of a console player.  Lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm bringing this thread back up from over a month ago.  I received an email (finally) from Sony to participate in a PS5 sales event.  I wasn't overly excited...been there, done that.  I pretty much stopped following sales events about 2 months ago...I might've checked once or twice since then.  So I decided to try it.  I figured it would take up 5/10 minutes of my life. (shrug)

I was successful...within one minute!!! :banana: I was so excited when I placed the order for the digital version that I accidently bought a game disc!!! lol :roflmao:  When it gets here, I'll have to see if someone I know wants a game, or possibly return it.  It's the PS5 version so it doesn't come with a digital code.  I knew my patience would pay off...it was just a matter of time.  My original estimate for getting one was May-ish.  It's a late birthday present from my wife.  Pound sand, scalpers!!!! lol

 

Woo Hoo.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

I bought a bundle today at MSRP. PS5, extra controller, Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank, and a $50 gift card.

Honestly never would've thought that I'd get it at retail value.

Nice!!  I was able to return the Spider-Man game disc for a full refund, then purchased the digital copy.  It was fun...I beat it already.  For about $450, which included an extra controller, not a bad deal.  The system is pretty awesome.  Now I'm waiting for the new Horizon, Forbidden West game.  It's supposed to really show what the PS5 can do, especially with a 4K tv.  I decided against Returnal, which is supposed to take advantage of a lot of the PS5's technology...sounded like too much work for an old fart like me.  Maybe when the price drops...lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

Nice!!  I was able to return the Spider-Man game disc for a full refund, then purchased the digital copy.  It was fun...I beat it already.  For about $450, which included an extra controller, not a bad deal.  The system is pretty awesome.  Now I'm waiting for the new Horizon, Forbidden West game.  It's supposed to really show what the PS5 can do, especially with a 4K tv.  I decided against Returnal, which is supposed to take advantage of a lot of the PS5's technology...sounded like too much work for an old fart like me.  Maybe when the price drops...lol

I still haven't completed PS4's Spider-Man. I will be keeping the Miles Morales one and may be playing it prior to NHL 22, since I'm getting fatigued by cheaters in Warzone, and NHL 20 is basically dead. I may try to sell Ratchet & Clank as I haven't played any of that franchise since PS2.

Got the disc version, as I want to be able to watch true 4K. Compressed 4K streams aren't the real deal. Both visual and audio are inferior to disc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I still haven't completed PS4's Spider-Man. I will be keeping the Miles Morales one and may be playing it prior to NHL 22, since I'm getting fatigued by cheaters in Warzone, and NHL 20 is basically dead. I may try to sell Ratchet & Clank as I haven't played any of that franchise since PS2.

Got the disc version, as I want to be able to watch true 4K. Compressed 4K streams aren't the real deal. Both visual and audio are inferior to disc.

I thought the same thing about disc versus digital.  I was able to try out a buddy's disc version PS5....I really couldn't tell the difference.  Then again, I have a decent home theater set-up that I did myself.  Always had a knack for that stuff...everything is tweaked pretty well, short of a professional install.  I just can't tell.  Either way, I won't switch to the disc version as I don't like having discs around after the game is beat.  At least with a digital copy, it stays in my PSN library...and no disc to worry about trading in or selling later on.  Learned that lesson on the PS4. Lol.

I beat the Spider-Man game...pretty decent.  I was a huge fan of the first one...drove my wife nuts how many hours I put into it.  :roflmao: But she understands how much video game playing helps my PTSD.  All my other systems are gone now...sold them off, except for my Fat PS2.  I do play games through Steam from time to time...haven't actively played a PC game since Assassin's Creed: Unity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Galen130 said:

I thought the same thing about disc versus digital.  I was able to try out a buddy's disc version PS5....I really couldn't tell the difference.  Then again, I have a decent home theater set-up that I did myself.  Always had a knack for that stuff...everything is tweaked pretty well, short of a professional install.  I just can't tell.  Either way, I won't switch to the disc version as I don't like having discs around after the game is beat.  At least with a digital copy, it stays in my PSN library...and no disc to worry about trading in or selling later on.  Learned that lesson on the PS4. Lol.

I beat the Spider-Man game...pretty decent.  I was a huge fan of the first one...drove my wife nuts how many hours I put into it.  :roflmao: But she understands how much video game playing helps my PTSD.  All my other systems are gone now...sold them off, except for my Fat PS2.  I do play games through Steam from time to time...haven't actively played a PC game since Assassin's Creed: Unity.

RE: A/V, I was talking about film/television. You should be able to tell the difference between streamed "4K" and disc 4K. Video games should have no A/V difference between disc or drive.

I'll be able to reinstall Spider-Man and Jedi: Fallen Order after I get my Warzone data on the new system. It'll be nice to play some games other than COD and NHL. lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

RE: A/V, I was talking about film/television. You should be able to tell the difference between streamed "4K" and disc 4K. Video games should have no A/V difference between disc or drive.

I'll be able to reinstall Spider-Man and Jedi: Fallen Order after I get my Warzone data on the new system. It'll be nice to play some games other than COD and NHL. lol

Ah, gotcha.  I wasn't tracking.  I'm more interested in the best quality image/sound with video games, but I agree with tv/movies.  Luckily, we do have a 4K player...we just don't watch many 4K movies, or buy them.

Luckily it's pretty easy to transfer game files/saves from one console to the other.  I backed up everything else into my PSN cloud account, but I didn't want to delete/reinstall SkyRim.  The network transfer of the game took less than a minute...I think.  It was quick. (thumbsu

I stopped playing online stuff as well, after being a bad azz with Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 on PS3.  That's when I started noticing online players cheating...I was naive enough to think it wasn't possible online (lag switch).  I don't do much online anymore, but it is cool that you can watch players' live streams on the PS5.  I get bored, though, after about 5 minutes. lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

Ah, gotcha.  I wasn't tracking.  I'm more interested in the best quality image/sound with video games, but I agree with tv/movies.  Luckily, we do have a 4K player...we just don't watch many 4K movies, or buy them.

Luckily it's pretty easy to transfer game files/saves from one console to the other.  I backed up everything else into my PSN cloud account, but I didn't want to delete/reinstall SkyRim.  The network transfer of the game took less than a minute...I think.  It was quick. (thumbsu

I stopped playing online stuff as well, after being a bad azz with Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 on PS3.  That's when I started noticing online players cheating...I was naive enough to think it wasn't possible online (lag switch).  I don't do much online anymore, but it is cool that you can watch players' live streams on the PS5.  I get bored, though, after about 5 minutes. lol

I don't have a 4K player. Never had a Blu-ray player, either. That's the beauty of Sony gaming systems. lol I remember when PS3s were cheaper than Blu-ray players! It was insane to me that anyone would buy one at that time.

The only streamer that I've ever watched is StoneMountain64, and that's only because I came across his Commanding Officer videos (very funny IMO). Never really watched live, though. It's silly - and a waste of time - to me to watch someone else do something that you can do. There are some caveats, like maybe you can catch some highlight videos that help you improve your game. Otherwise, watching them live is mostly puzzling to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is around the time I go find something else to do...it took almost 5 minutes to post that last reply.  Always from about 9am to 12pm mountain time is when the forums get stupid for me....nuts!!!

I agree with the streaming...unless it's going to help me out, it's not enjoyable and a bit weird.  lol

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Galen130 said:

But she understands how much video game playing helps my PTSD. 

Never thought it might have positive effects for PTSD.  Only aware of how those of us with autism spectrum disorders are fascinated by video games, virtual environments that can be controlled much better than the real world. Unless you’re playing on an insanely high difficulty level, perhaps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Never thought it might have positive effects for PTSD.  Only aware of how those of us with autism spectrum disorders are fascinated by video games, virtual environments that can be controlled much better than the real world. Unless you’re playing on an insanely high difficulty level, perhaps.

Yeah, this is my own observation...I haven't done research into it.  With my anxiety, playing games allows my mind to focus and not think/wonder about random stuff.  It's more of an escape, like for anyone else...just more 'soothing'.  I'm not a PTSD wreck like a lot of people out there (God bless them), but this works for me instead of taking medication...which I refuse to do.  Sometimes, reliving bad things needs an outlet...I can't always put this stuff on my wife, even though she's more than willing to listen.  Plus, I love playing video games!!! lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Galen130 said:

With my anxiety, playing games allows my mind to focus and not think/wonder about random stuff. 

I hadn’t thought about its positive effect in combating rumination.

Good point.

But, yes, it is about control; the game environment itself, but also detachment from repetitive, intrusive thoughts common in PTSD, hyper anxiety, OCD and autism spectrum disorders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I hadn’t thought about its positive effect in combating rumination.

Good point.

But, yes, it is about control; the game environment itself, but also detachment from repetitive, intrusive thoughts common in PTSD, hyper anxiety, OCD and autism spectrum disorders.

Hyper anxiety, along with hyper sensitivity to my environment, is how the VA classified my 'issues'.  I thought they were nuts, especially when they offered a prescription for either medical marijuana or medication.  I'll deal with my issues my own way...not smoke something that smells like it came out of the south-end of a north-bound skunk (no offense to people that do).

I don't deal with the VA anymore, but I took their info to heart.  My wife even did some research...my hyper sensitivity drives her a bit nuts sometimes because it seems like I smell, hear, taste, feel, and see everything in 4K (can't think of a better analogy).  Luckily for me, it doesn't get as bad as it used to before I met her.  We got married in our late 40's...best thing that ever happened.

Video gaming kind of fills the gaps, so to speak, especially if she's out of town for work a week at a time.  I guess these 'hyper' constants make me a good gamer, although I don't play online and I don't play games that 'pee' me off (sheesh).  lol  I've got a temper....it's the Irish in me. :banana:

Edited by Galen130
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/7/2021 at 12:44 PM, RedRaven said:

The major selling point for me is that I cant play Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 at any sort of a reasonable FPS and graphics settings without one.

have you ever thought of doing those flight simulator that pilots use (with the cockpit) etc? or have you done that already

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2021 at 3:29 PM, Galen130 said:

I'm bringing this thread back up from over a month ago.  I received an email (finally) from Sony to participate in a PS5 sales event.  I wasn't overly excited...been there, done that.  I pretty much stopped following sales events about 2 months ago...I might've checked once or twice since then.  So I decided to try it.  I figured it would take up 5/10 minutes of my life. (shrug)

I was successful...within one minute!!! :banana: I was so excited when I placed the order for the digital version that I accidently bought a game disc!!! lol :roflmao:  When it gets here, I'll have to see if someone I know wants a game, or possibly return it.  It's the PS5 version so it doesn't come with a digital code.  I knew my patience would pay off...it was just a matter of time.  My original estimate for getting one was May-ish.  It's a late birthday present from my wife.  Pound sand, scalpers!!!! lol

 

Woo Hoo.jpeg

Congrats buddy!!!!  8k tv now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4