• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Video Game Chit Chat Is Welcome!! PlayStation 5/XBox Series X scalping...did you/will you pay inflated prices?
6 6

Scalped PlayStation 5/XBox Series X console  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Have you/will you purchase(d) a PS5 at retailer or scalper price?

• Retailer
    • Scalper
    • I’d rather buy comic books
    • I have better things to do with my hard earned stimulus check

783 posts in this topic

On 12/14/2021 at 4:44 PM, The Meta said:

To begin with 

hm

Didn't see this.

I liked your post and intended a Congrats, but, something else happened?

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 12/14/2021 at 3:29 PM, Ken Aldred said:

hm

Didn't see this.

I liked your post and intended a Congrats, but, something else happened?

Yeah, I ended up paying more lol

Worth it to just finally get one, my patience came to an end

Kinda sad it's a 2nd gen, but I'm keeping an open mind. Can always sell and try for a 1st gen unopened again at some point

Edited by The Meta

On 12/14/2021 at 5:52 PM, The Meta said:

Kinda sad it's a 2nd gen, but I'm keeping an open mind. Can always sell and try for a 1st gen unopened again at some point

Why would you want an initial run? Those are the systems that have problems, and why I always wait until a later production run when it comes to gaming systems.

On 12/15/2021 at 5:25 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Why would you want an initial run? Those are the systems that have problems, and why I always wait until a later production run when it comes to gaming systems.

Because the 2nd gen has opted for a system that runs hotter

They took 300 grams off the heat sink, which to me, isn't a smart move

On 12/15/2021 at 7:38 AM, The Meta said:

Because the 2nd gen has opted for a system that runs hotter

They took 300 grams off the heat sink, which to me, isn't a smart move

I haven't seen anyone report issues for overheating that are unique to later runs (as they include systems that were purchased at/near launch), but the later runs resolved issues that would cause system-crippling errors, requiring you to request a console replacement.

So while I agree that making it easier for the system to run hotter is generally not a smart move, it does not appear to hurt the system.

I would compare this idea of purchasing to new vehicles. While we have launches in which the vehicles are 'complete', the optimal vehicle won't be available until later in its model year. If you bought a 2022 vehicle this year, it will not be as robust as the ones being assembled next year. There are always problems to be resolved, and gaming systems work the same way.

On 12/15/2021 at 5:48 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I haven't seen anyone report issues for overheating that are unique to later runs (as they include systems that were purchased at/near launch), but the later runs resolved issues that would cause system-crippling errors, requiring you to request a console replacement.

So while I agree that making it easier for the system to run hotter is generally not a smart move, it does not appear to hurt the system.

I would compare this idea of purchasing to new vehicles. While we have launches in which the vehicles are 'complete', the optimal vehicle won't be available until later in its model year. If you bought a 2022 vehicle this year, it will not be as robust as the ones being assembled next year. There are always problems to be resolved, and gaming systems work the same way.

I dont think it's a crippling move, hence I DID buy one. I would have not at all if I didn't have faith. I'm just skeptical. I'll be going out of my way to monitor performance to ensure I get the decades of use I've come to expect from PS

On 12/15/2021 at 7:52 AM, The Meta said:

I dont think it's a crippling move, hence I DID buy one. I would have not at all if I didn't have faith. I'm just skeptical. I'll be going out of my way to monitor performance to ensure I get the decades of use I've come to expect from PS

Hey, if you have the money to burn on a 1st run and flip your later-produced system, then I hope it works out for you. Just figured I'd give you some insight as to why I would not do it. Not sure what the stats are, but the 'first releases' always have the highest mortality rate lol.

On 12/15/2021 at 6:00 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Hey, if you have the money to burn on a 1st run and flip your later-produced system, then I hope it works out for you. Just figured I'd give you some insight as to why I would not do it. Not sure what the stats are, but the 'first releases' always have the highest mortality rate lol.

Depends on the system, but I see your logic

Take the ps3. The first gens are highly coveted because of their hardware backwards compatibility, compared to the later gen software emulation 

On 12/15/2021 at 8:01 AM, The Meta said:

Depends on the system, but I see your logic

Take the ps3. The first gens are highly coveted because of their hardware backwards compatibility, compared to the later gen software emulation 

Oh, yeah, the PS3 is definitely a special case. I think that the Other OS is more coveted than the backwards compatibility. A cluster of 8 running Yellow Dog Linux 6 is a certified supercomputer. That stuff was wild.

On 12/15/2021 at 6:07 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Oh, yeah, the PS3 is definitely a special case. I think that the Other OS is more coveted than the backwards compatibility. A cluster of 8 running Yellow Dog Linux 6 is a certified supercomputer. That stuff was wild.

I have a couple of systems I've been experimenting home brew with

I managed to get a -K series to work with a broken optical drive.

The PS3 line is a lot of fun to play with, but I have 3 that need complete reballs. I dont have the equipment for that

On 12/15/2021 at 8:09 AM, The Meta said:

I have a couple of systems I've been experimenting home brew with

I managed to get a -K series to work with a broken optical drive.

The PS3 line is a lot of fun to play with, but I have 3 that need complete reballs. I dont have the equipment for that

The PSU on my Gen 1 was giving out, way back in the day. I pulled the plug to save the data on the hard drive so that it can be salvaged some day, because if you let it die out completely it would wipe the HDD for some reason.

I have never been savvy enough to try replacing the PSU itself, if that is even a viable option to boot up and backup the data. It's been in storage for a decade+.

I’ve got a 1st gen PS5…no problems as of yet.  It gets used quite a bit too, from playing games to watching UHD movies in 4K. 🙂👍🤙

Edited by Galen130

On 12/15/2021 at 1:19 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I haven't encountered anything online about overheating problems with second generation PS5s.

Nor I, but benchmarks have shown it does indeed run hotter than gen 1

On 12/15/2021 at 1:21 PM, The Meta said:

And the Gen 1 does get warm...makes no sense to decrease the size of the heat sink. (shrug)

On 12/15/2021 at 1:29 PM, Galen130 said:

And the Gen 1 does get warm...makes no sense to decrease the size of the heat sink. (shrug)

Yeah I dont understand it, considering it's only 300 grams they shaved off. Maybe a dispute with manufacturers or limited material supply. Can't see it being a shipping cost

On 12/15/2021 at 8:21 PM, The Meta said:

Has it shown that the temperature goes outside the recommended operating range?

If you switched a PS3 to a faster drive, 7200 rpm from 5400 rpm, as I did, you could read nonsense online that the drive would run hotter and "melt the PS3".  In fact, it ran a couple of degrees hotter but was still pretty much in the middle of the system's safe operating range.  I've used the same drive for years.

On 12/15/2021 at 2:07 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Has it shown that the temperature goes outside the recommended operating range?

If you switched a PS3 to a faster drive, 7200 rpm from 5400 rpm, as I did, you could read nonsense online that the drive would run hotter and "melt the PS3".  In fact, it ran a couple of degrees hotter but was still pretty much in the middle of the system's safe operating range.  I've used the same drive for years.

No, nothing stupid as that

Tests have shown the exhaust temp has gone up, and the board runs a few degrees hotter.

Could mean the solder joints may run into issues over time, see PS3 solder issues, or it could mean absolutely nothing

Just something I must take note of, and do some proactive cooling, just in case failures develop over time

Edited by The Meta

On 12/15/2021 at 2:10 PM, The Meta said:

No, nothing stupid as that

Tests have shown the exhaust temp has gone up, and the board runs a few degrees hotter.

Could mean the solder joints may rub into issues over time, see PS3 solder issues, or it could mean absolutely nothing

Just something I must take note of, and do some proactive cooling, just in case failures develop over time

Watch out for any cooler systems being sold for PS5.  Quite a few of them don't exhaust the warm air, but keeps it near the console or blows it back.  I decided not to get one this time.