• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are we expected to put up with this ?
2 2

308 posts in this topic

Here's the straight, I am new here, I'm voicing my numerous frustrations which I've experienced since my package has been received in some mystery land which serves to only pad the approximate TATs. I get it that it's busy, but that's a sorry problem to have, no? When I did 2am baking, we hired for Christmas, we worked weekends, I spent two weeks working two shifts a day, basically. So, do I feel bad about any of this? No, I don't, you can fluff my minimum wage butt. Understanding only goes so far when it's Big Money Getting Richer and little person trying to flip their spare Marnies. It's worth complaining about, have some self worth instead of being a bunch of bootlickers 

Edited by The Nameless One

16 minutes ago, The Nameless One said:

Here's the straight, I am new here, I'm voicing my numerous frustrations which I've experienced since my package has been received in some mystery land which serves to only pad the approximate TATs. I get it that it's busy, but that's a sorry problem to have, no? When I did 2am baking, we hired for Christmas, we worked weekends, I spent two weeks working two shifts a day, basically. So, do I feel bad about any of this? No, I don't, you can fluff my minimum wage butt. Understanding only goes so far when it's Big Money Getting Richer and little person trying to flip their spare Marnies. It's worth complaining about, have some self worth instead of being a bunch of bootlickers 

You should pool together with a couple of dudes here and start a grading company. Sounds like you guys have a solid understanding of how to increase capacity. Heck, maybe just start a grading company consulting firm. You're giving away all your ideas for free here on the CGC chat forums.

In the end, I'm glad that a few of you are having a constructive conversation about all of this and maybe planting some seeds as to what could possible help alleviate some consumer concerns. These are weird times so there's an opportunity to be the gold standard and offer something in wake of inconveniencing the customer base. My frustrations spiked because I have to upgrade my entire package to standard if I want to dodge the delay (where a great deal of these cards are not worth grading standard), and pay a 15 USD fee on top of that to change the order. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience, I guess, I admit to being new here and making mistakes with my order, but I would've held my breath if that economy time wasn't what it was. There were measures which could've been instilled to protect the consumer and not have them walk into a bottleneck which the company in question seems to be more than happy to capitalize on. So, what happens when everyone starts upgrading their bulk/economy to standard? Am I supposed to feel secure about the 30 day TAT? It's already been two business weeks since my package was received, and who knows, maybe my concerns actually do resonate through the company and someone sees my name in the cards and I get a pile of 7s and 8s which aren't worth the plastic they are cased in. Honestly, that would be pretty funny and it would give my collection a cool story, so please do that. In the end, some form of compensation should be offered to those who are, rightfully, inconvenienced, like, what's this 15 USD fee? What a slap in the face

Just now, Ron Churches said:

You should pool together with a couple of dudes here and start a grading company. Sounds like you guys have a solid understanding of how to increase capacity. Heck, maybe just start a grading company consulting firm. You're giving away all your ideas for free here on the CGC chat forums.

I sure hope to be giving away any good idea, we like CGC doing good things and being the best because it increases our investment value :)

Would be crazy if tons of economy ppl switched to standard and paid an extra 15 fee plus the extra fee per card to go up and then standards switched to 80 days tat. I could see that being a case

2 minutes ago, Sp33dy said:

Would be crazy if tons of economy ppl switched to standard and paid an extra 15 fee plus the extra fee per card to go up and then standards switched to 80 days tat. I could see that being a case

Most of the cards aren't worth it most likely.

23 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

You are probably right but CSG and SGC have not proven a slabbed sale or resale price trend yet compared to Beckett BSG pricing levels. Actually, HGA's color coordinated grading labels look pretty sharp.

I looked HGA up yesterday. From what I can tell they don’t grade Pokemon cards, just sport cards at the moment. 

It’s really tiring seeing the same complaint thread posted everyday it seems. Takes the fun out of these forums for me. 

9 minutes ago, The Nameless One said:

I sure hope to be giving away any good idea, we like CGC doing good things and being the best because it increases our investment value :)

Every grading company is wrestling with capacity constraints right now, so it will be interesting to see how they navigate it. PSA thought it could handle it by increasing floor space and hiring more people, but ultimately they had to do a massive price increase. And it's not clear that's going to work, either, as they still have a year's worth of cards to work through as a backlog.

It would have been difficult for a new entrant into the market, who is still calculating the ROI on the capital expenditures just to open the doors, to decide to ramp up capacity to catch the fallout from PSA's troubles. The balance between quality and quantity is real in services like this, and it's likely not an industry where you can just turn the machine on and let it run for 24 hours a day. Tired graders likely make for poor graders. There's a million other pieces to this process, as well. The welding capacity can't be easily increased, not without buying more equipment. They have massive issues with receiving, which I would think would be one of the easiest areas to increase capacity, but even that has been something they have struggled to do (industry problem; every grading company is behind on the mail significantly). 

End of day, demand is so high, they can afford to be more cautious and p i ss people off a bit, as that's just the way this industry can operate. There are few substitutes that you can take your money to, and they are all in the same boat. Sort of like shopping for your local cable company, in that regard.

Edited by Ron Churches

5 minutes ago, C2N0 said:

It’s really tiring seeing the same complaint thread posted everyday it seems. Takes the fun out of these forums for me. 

Oh, I'm so sorry that you are tired and not having fun! Shame that you can't simply avoid the inch worth of internet page which leads to this thread, whew

6 minutes ago, The Nameless One said:

Oh, I'm so sorry that you are tired and not having fun! Shame that you can't simply avoid the inch worth of internet page which leads to this thread, whew

Shame that they like holding our products and money captive. I can't get my products back or a real time when they will change status? I didn't sign up for that. Instead of halting their services/catching up. They decide to just keep bringing in more and more knowing they can't possibly get to it within their turnarounds. I mean I'm at the point that I just want my stuff graded or it back with my money. Should be easy options. But my cards are probably somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle.

Edited by ShiningCollectibles

3 hours ago, The Nameless One said:

I like how people are legit trying to badmouth me, I didn't say anything to any respective member yet here you all are thinking you are worth more than fertilizer posting here. What a bunch of clowns, get real

https://www.wisfarmer.com/story/news/2021/03/09/high-fertilizer-prices-could-last-through-spring-planting-season/6880888002/

poo.thumb.jpg.96f28733d74ec3c202495bf4c1019a23.jpg

6 hours ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

I hear what you’re saying - but my guess is they’d rather grade that FF1 and get it out the door before looking at somebody’s 20 copies of Star Wats High Republic , it stinks for the guy flipping though as these are time sensitive .

It's more than a guess, it's what's happening. The more time high value books are with them, the higher the risk of something happening (like losing the book among all other orders). And while it does suck for the person with the more low value stuff that can be flipped for a profit now (and just now), it's just arbitrage at work. People found another way to make an extra buck, now that idea has spread to the point where people can no longer make a buck. Like people who stopped digging for gold because the cost of getting it would be more than what the gold was worth. You end up at some kind of equilibrium and that's what we are seeing.

I do really like the comment mentioned before about CGC changing the way they function so that every book is entered into their system as they come in, regardless of tier, even if it means making the waiting times even longer. At least then people would know where their book is. 

Edited by William-James88

2 hours ago, Ron Churches said:

Every grading company is wrestling with capacity constraints right now, so it will be interesting to see how they navigate it. PSA thought it could handle it by increasing floor space and hiring more people, but ultimately they had to do a massive price increase. And it's not clear that's going to work, either, as they still have a year's worth of cards to work through as a backlog.

It would have been difficult for a new entrant into the market, who is still calculating the ROI on the capital expenditures just to open the doors, to decide to ramp up capacity to catch the fallout from PSA's troubles. The balance between quality and quantity is real in services like this, and it's likely not an industry where you can just turn the machine on and let it run for 24 hours a day. Tired graders likely make for poor graders. There's a million other pieces to this process, as well. The welding capacity can't be easily increased, not without buying more equipment. They have massive issues with receiving, which I would think would be one of the easiest areas to increase capacity, but even that has been something they have struggled to do (industry problem; every grading company is behind on the mail significantly). 

End of day, demand is so high, they can afford to be more cautious and p i ss people off a bit, as that's just the way this industry can operate. There are few substitutes that you can take your money to, and they are all in the same boat. Sort of like shopping for your local cable company, in that regard.

(thumbsu

TAT estimates are based on CGC's grading capacity and submission volume at the time the estimate is made. Grading capacity is not easy or quick to increase, so if submission volume explodes, TATs will significantly increase. There is no way around this except to turn away new business, and guess which grading company is going to do that.

It's okay to be upset/annoyed/whatever that the stuff you sent in at the cheapest tier is going to take a lot longer to be graded. Its not okay to not understand the above or to create 1000 threads whining about it.

And to preempt certain people, this post is not defending CGC, it is simply understanding reality.

53 minutes ago, Snooze Fest said:

The answer is "because they paid more money" isn't it?

the point is that no tiers should be suspended, everything should move along as scheduled. What is they suspend your tier to work on the others, would that be fair?

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

the point is that no tiers should be suspended, everything should move along as scheduled. What is they suspend your tier to work on the others, would that be fair?

Tiers shouldn't be suspended, but they have to be prioritized.

On 3/18/2021 at 12:40 PM, Ron Churches said:

Dude, PSA slabs are not double CGC, not on the whole. I'm sure you can identify a handful of poor sales, but I suggest you collect a LOT more data before spouting off that level of nonsense. 

Yea no way double. Exactly one or two sales but not in the majority. Although there are dumb buyers everywhere. Lol

3 hours ago, Sp33dy said:

Thats 100% whats going to happen due to orders being skipped. Standard orders received months after econ orders are being completed. So ill just pay the extra and so will everyone else and crowd standard the same way. 

3 minutes ago, Captmorgan7288 said:

Thats 100% whats going to happen due to orders being skipped. Standard orders received months after econ orders are being completed. So ill just pay the extra and so will everyone else and crowd standard the same way. 

I understand putting express and standard. But if ur saying its ok that bulk orders from dec has to be frozen to do express orders from March. Thats exactly where we are saying its unfair, ur not prioritizing. U are jus plainly not caring at all. Maybe having all express orders from December and January done before December bulk. But saying express needs prioritizing at all.times then why not give ppls bulk back because it isn't even worked on