• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adventure Comics #44

22 posts in this topic

Holy shiz!!! That book is smokin'!!! 8.5.

I bet that book gets alot of members here sexually cited. 27_laughing.gif

Outstanding book hail.gif.

Apparent 8.5.

Even though I detest restored books I'm pretty friggin' jealous...

Thanks for the comments, guys! This is definately one of my favorite covers, too. Here's a before and after shot of the book. Tape had to be removed from the length of the spine, a spine split sealed, small pieces added, reinforcement, and color touched. As you can see, there was a missing piece to the bottom right corner that had to be recreated and color matched (the yellows look slightly off in the scan, but in reality are nearly perfectly matched). There were a few spots, namely the top edge, that had to be color touched. Also, the majority of the wraps were completely split at the spine, with the rest split half way. Each had to be sealed and reinforced. I think the end result looks really good. There is definately good resto and bad resto when it comes to necessity, and this is my favorite type of book to get done. It was falling apart, but the cover was for the most part in really nice shape and the missing corner was pretty unobtrusive of the artwork. Went from a 1.0 to an apparent 8.0/8.5 smile.gif

beforeafter5yn.jpg

Wow! Beautiful book, and a poster child for how restoration can improve a book. I saw the original book sail by on ebay many times. You've dramatically improved it. Well done! thumbsup2.gif

If you don't mind, I too would like to know who did the resto work, and even to know how much the work cost if you're willing. I've never had a book pro-restored before, and would like to gather more info about it...

I recieved the book last friday from eBay seller jalva75 and spent the last week restoring it myself, putting in roughly 10-12 hours. I've been doing restoration work for a little over a year and have practiced on MANY books (destroying MANY low grade readers) and experimenting with different techniques and professional archival materials. I couldn't have been happier with how the book turned out. I estimated that it would have cost anywhere from $500-$900 (depending on the restorer) to have the book done, but it only cost me $425 for the book plus maybe $40 in materials, for a grand total of $465 and turnaround time of a week (overstreet unrestored 8.0 is I believe $4700). I consider restoration a hobby of mine, but not one to be taken lightly. I've spent A LOT of time practicing and many mistakes to get to the point I am now and there is still a lot to learn and room for improvement! (I just don't want others to read this and turn around and try to restore their expensive books without a proper warning). I only plan to do work like this on my own personal books for my own collection, although professional restoration would be a dream job! Thanks again for the input!

I recieved the book last friday from eBay seller jalva75 and spent the last week restoring it myself, putting in roughly 10-12 hours. I've been doing restoration work for a little over a year and have practiced on MANY books (destroying MANY low grade readers) and experimenting with different techniques and professional archival materials. I couldn't have been happier with how the book turned out. I estimated that it would have cost anywhere from $500-$900 (depending on the restorer) to have the book done, but it only cost me $425 for the book plus maybe $40 in materials, for a grand total of $465 and turnaround time of a week (overstreet unrestored 8.0 is I believe $4700). I consider restoration a hobby of mine, but not one to be taken lightly. I've spent A LOT of time practicing and many mistakes to get to the point I am now and there is still a lot to learn and room for improvement! (I just don't want others to read this and turn around and try to restore their expensive books without a proper warning). I only plan to do work like this on my own personal books for my own collection, although professional restoration would be a dream job! Thanks again for the input!

Damn! if you really did do the work on this book, it's first-rate! thumbsup2.gif

Just saw this thread and all I can say is MAN! In the late 80's/early 90's I went through the same thing you did, and became the scourge of the quarter bins seeking candidates for restoration to experiment on. You could even find some GA for a buck or so that were junk, and you know that often the junkier the better for practice! Impressive, most impressive. Do you have a studio or area setup? I had a drawing table (titlable) and a bench with a dry mount press, airbrush, sordid tools and adhesives, pastes, japan papers, inks and paints etc.

It is an amazing way to learn about restoration and, in your case, make it work for you. I've said it on the boards a dozen times and is great to see you saying it too: (I just don't want others to read this and turn around and try to restore their expensive books without a proper warning). But I think you agree more folks should be encouraged to pick up some junk and give it a whirl.

A question for you: since the LRC is a recreation, do you anticipate adding some lines to simulat the diagional lines in the pants? Also, on the inside of the LRC, was there any text or did you luck out with all white?

Regardless, a beautiful bit of work!