• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LOCKED - OP request - CLOSED
3 3

93 posts in this topic

Just now, Number 6 said:

So a seller is supposed to hold on to a book that he wants to sell indefinitely just so a buyer who couldn’t get his act together will hopefully someday snap out of it and there won’t be any other Cool Books to distract him from finally completing the deal?

Earlier it was was speculated that for every non-paying buyer who get’s brought up there’s probably hundreds who don’t. I suspect this is probably why:  seller’s just want get their book sold, not have their hands tied by all the hand-wringing and pearl-clutching over how a buyer who at moment couldn’t care less will eventually get off the list. 

The seller can do as they choose but if the book sells, the buyer still needs a way to make the transaction whole. Given the book, a comparable sale might be tough to negotiate. FYI, I fully support the nomination and the fact the the buyer needs to honor the deal. 

Its not about coming off the list. Its about making the party the was wronged "whole". Assuming the book is sold at the same price they are now "whole". There is only some much you can do and if the original transaction is impossible to complete I don't think you can just say they have to get creative to fix the situation. 

4 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I know, this point of “how will the buyer ever come of the list?” has come up in numerous other PL discussions by numerous members. 

My point is I don’t see why this burden is continually placed on the seller since the seller isn’t the one who defaulted on the transaction.

Why not place the burden on the buyer - the one who actually defaulted on the transaction - to come up with a solution?

The seller sold the original book in question?  Well that is too bad, guess the buyer should have taken care of his obligations at the time, would have been so much easier. Now he’s going to have to get creative and apply himself is he really wants off the list. 

I just don’t see why the seller should feel he has to delay a sale and waste time and energy trying to hold the buyer’s hand to keep him off the list, when the buyer at the moment is completely unmotivated. 

I’m fine with a buyer being on the PL until he finally does get motivated (like when another Cool Book pops up for sale on Boards that he can’t live without). Let the buyer demonstrate how sincere is by coming up with his own solution. 

I like where you are going with this. The book isn’t sold yet, so the “buyer” needs to fix it now, not wait around and ask how does he fix it 2 months from now.

15 minutes ago, wombat said:

Its not about coming off the list. Its about making the party the was wronged "whole". Assuming the book is sold at the same price they are now "whole". There is only some much you can do and if the original transaction is impossible to complete I don't think you can just say they have to get creative to fix the situation. 

Fair enough. 

But that’s why there’s going to be an ever increasing number of dead-beat buyers who never get brought up. 

And with the number of Instagram and Facebook buyers migrating over, that’s something to think about. 

Edited by Number 6

1 minute ago, CAHokie said:

I like where you are going with this. The book isn’t sold yet, so the “buyer” needs to fix it now, not wait around and ask how does he fix it 2 months from now.

I agree with this. Which is really the main point of the PL. I think unfortunately in some situations they probably realize it is easier to sit back and do nothing. Of course that might put them on PL temporarily and anyone can view this nomination and add to "personal lists". 

10 hours ago, Red84 said:

You're right. It IS beside the point and completely irrelevant. It is in the seller's rules which you are expected to read before making a purchase.

Don't make offers that you can't or won't honor. That's a real quick way to effectively lose your buying and selling privileges here because no one has time for that nonsense. :preach:

Reading is hard doh!

43 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I know, this point of “how will the buyer ever come of the list?” has come up in numerous other PL discussions by numerous members. 

My point is I don’t see why this burden is continually placed on the seller since the seller isn’t the one who defaulted on the transaction.

Why not place the burden on the buyer - the one who actually defaulted on the transaction - to come up with a solution?

The seller sold the original book in question?  Well that is too bad, guess the buyer should have taken care of his obligations at the time, would have been so much easier. Now he’s going to have to get creative and apply himself if he really wants off the list. 

I just don’t see why the seller should feel he has to delay a sale and waste time and energy trying to hold the buyer’s hand to keep him off the list, when the buyer at the moment is completely unmotivated. 

I’m fine with a buyer being on the PL until he finally does get motivated (like when another Cool Book pops up for sale on Boards that he can’t live without). Let the buyer demonstrate how sincere he is by coming up with his own solution. 

I agree with you for sure, just making the point that if the book sells (which it likely will because :cloud9:) it just makes things more complicated to resolve. I would think that if the buyer is refusing to honor the transaction, which it appears he is, then the seller can relist and the buyer goes on the list immediately.  

49 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

The seller sold the original book in question?  Well that is too bad, guess the buyer should have taken care of his obligations at the time, would have been so much easier. Now he’s going to have to get creative and apply himself if he really wants off the list. 

I’m fine with a buyer being on the PL until he finally does get motivated (like when another Cool Book pops up for sale on Boards that he can’t live without). Let the buyer demonstrate how sincere he is by coming up with his own solution. 

Yeah,  I do agree with this. 

The seller is under no obligation to make things right for the buyer. He held up his end of the deal to the extent  he was able to. 

The buyer is really at fault and should be working through solutions to resolve the issue. 

The marketplace has been trending in a dangerous direction in my opinion. It seems that there are fewer sellers at a time of great demand and new buyers are popping up who don't appreciate the rules and community that exists.  The increase in PL nominations and non-payers in the last several months has been disappointing. 

11 hours ago, dem1138 said:

Sold him an Avengers #8 over the weekend.

Send me the following PM tonight (3/22)

Avengers 8

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcontent.invisioncic.com%2Fr266625%2Fmonthly_2019_10%2FC3AA6BC2-4DDE-4AFD-9306-717E3F0E7793.thumb.jpeg.885576e48da6449c89a6741ef44c16af.jpeg&t=1616472483&ymreqid=d514d0ed-bb74-e7a2-1c3e-35000b01a000&sig=Rlcqjiu5TAnSVZN3pa83YA--~D  

Hey, I’m so sorry but I bought a Hulk 180 9.4 today...didn’t think he would take my offer from this weekend but he did.  I need to postpone or cancel this Avengers sale. I was getting it since I thought the hulk deal want happening. 
I apologize. Never had to do this before but can’t spend the cash on another big book at this time. I don’t want you to have to wait on me either so please list again. Sure it will sell quick. 
FYI my brother is considering the Daredevil.

He did say he would postpone the deal, just read the first couple posts but would you be comfortable with that? Or working out time payments?

You guys could probably work this out

My suggestion would be for the nominee to put all his eggs in one basket at a time and then once the basket is full start distributing the funds elsewhere. For those uneducated 'the eggs are money and the basket is comics

Edited by Hollywood1892

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

So a seller is supposed to hold on to a book that he wants to sell indefinitely just so a buyer who couldn’t get his act together will hopefully someday snap out of it and there won’t be any other Cool Books to distract him from finally completing the deal?

Earlier it was was speculated that for every non-paying buyer who get’s brought up there’s probably hundreds who don’t. I suspect this is probably why:  seller’s just want get their book sold, not have their hands tied by all the hand-wringing and pearl-clutching over how a buyer who at moment couldn’t care less will eventually get off the list. 

I plan on taking every book in every thread, waiting to pay for 3 years, then welching on everything that hasn't gone up.  Is that acceptable? 

5 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

He did say he would postpone the deal, just read the first couple posts but would you be comfortable with that? Or working out time payments?

You guys could probably work this out

On the surface this seems reasonable but as a seller I probably never accept this unless the buyer asked in advance for time payments. Why should the seller be left holding an empty bag for X amount of time while the seller gets his/her act together? For all we know the seller may have already earmarked the funds for a purchase and now he has to scramble to pay for a book.

Am I missing something here or not?

Doesn't a PL nomination have to be at least 30 days after initial 'contract'?

Aren't you supposed to use the 30 day period to exhaust all possibilities to conclude the transaction yourselves?

Genuinely curious.