• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Great Collectibles Bubble: Waiting To Pop?
1 1

343 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, IronMan_Cave said:

Believe me if 'these investors' dump IH181 CGC 9+ at 5K, I'll buy 4, if it goes down further to 2K, I'll buy another 10

Pull backs are probable. Total collapses are unlikely. At these insane price levels, there is now too much money involved for it to disappear, at least in any rapid way a la the 90s.

4 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Maybe. But if I have enough money to toss $50k at an AF15 on a whim, and the value starts to tank, I'm assuming I can afford to stash it for as long as I need. 

If you have that kind of money, why bother stashing the book hoping it once again achieves the same value sometime down the road? ???

This also assumes that current prices will once again be reached.  

5 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

Believe me if 'these investors' dump IH181 CGC 9+ at 5K, I'll buy 4, if it goes down further to 2K, I'll buy another 10

I have my signed 181 at 8.0 listed for 10K...  :wink:

Just now, THE_BEYONDER said:

If you have that kind of money, why bother stashing the book hoping it once again achieves the same value sometime down the road? ???

This also assumes that current prices will once again be reached.  

🔹 🖐️ 

1 minute ago, IronMan_Cave said:

Please give me a chance to prove it ....put up your IH181 CGC9+ for 5K, I'll buy it, I'll show you for real :nyah:

Let’s go big.  Let’s say HULK 181 in 9.8 drops from its current 60k price tag to 50k. Are you buying at 50?

6 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Definitely. That's why I would expect them to hold instead of realizing a loss. 

I think it’ll be the stubborn ones who will want to hang onto their losing investment. Like Chevy Chase in Vegas Vacation. Ya know how he keeps losing, yet keeps dumping money on the table? Yeah, something like that, lol! 

4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Let’s go big.  Let’s say HULK 181 in 9.8 drops from its current 60k price tag to 50k. Are you buying at 50?

no, because I don't have any 20K to spare, as simple as that, my comics budget 10-15K, ...but many other people can afford and will jump on it

put up our IH181 CGC9+ for 5K, I'll buy it now :nyah:

Edited by IronMan_Cave

13 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

It’s easy to say that now, but if we’re facing a situation where a H181 9+ is suddenly at 5K? What’s to stop it from from sinking even deeper?

9 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Pull backs are probable. Total collapses are unlikely. At these insane price levels, there is now too much money involved for it to disappear, at least in any rapid way a la the 90s.

When bubbles go boom, it's a cascade effect. it can wipe everything out in a day or two. If it IS a speculator thing, it seems as though they can just write it off of their taxes as an investment loss. They won't get hurt too badly. People like me would. If I bought high. I learned not to buy high. Many years ago.

2 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

It’s easy to say that now, but if we’re facing a situation where a H181 9+ is suddenly at 5K? What’s to stop it from from sinking even deeper?

If it gets to that point, the thinking then becomes 'heh, it's only 5K....it's nothing, but at least i got a nice copy of the book I've always wanted'

15 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I believe  that’s what they said right before the 2008 housing crash.

In fact, a good buddy of mine told me to buy a house right before the crash. He said, “You can NEVER going wrong with buying real estate!”. 

So I went to the bank to get a loan, and was turned down. That turned out to be the biggest financial blessing in disguise. I would have lost big time!

Edited by Darkowl

2 minutes ago, IronMan_Cave said:

If it gets to that point, the thinking then becomes 'heh, it's only 5K....it's nothing, but at least i got a nice copy of the book I've always wanted'

But it’s not your response that changes the outcome.

3 minutes ago, Darkowl said:

I believe  that’s what they said right before the 2008 housing crash.

In fact, a good buddy of mine told me to buy a house right before the crash. He said, “You can NEVER going wrong with buying real estate!”. 

So I went to the bank to get a loan, and was turned down. That turned out to be the biggest financial blessing in disguise. I would have lost big time!

I was thinking of the real estate bubble as a potential parallel, except I'm still waiting for a true crash in the Boston area, so that didn't really work for my purposes. Maybe all of you doomsayers are totally right and Hulk 181s will be given out to trick or treaters this Halloween but people with deep pockets have a funny way of keeping their pockets deep and full. 

I think the first to fall will be the spec bros buying junk every Wednesday. At my local shop there are customers who only buy variants and whatever today's 1st appearance is. Holding their phone, looking at the spec app that's telling them what new issue to buy. And they grade everything immediately.  

Once those start dropping, it's not fun anymore. 

Edited by StingerMcK