• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Alien
1 1

63 posts in this topic

I was very disappointed to find out Dark Horse lost the rights to Alien.

So in my depression I went out and bought the first issue off the shelf, something I haven't done since 1997-98.

I'll never ever understand the need for this many variant covers, nor the ratios, but I got them all, except the Gleason virgin, which I think is the rarest of them all.

The book itself is OK. There is some blood and violence, which I was expecting to be eradicated.  I might even pick up the second issue. As long as there aren't variant covers. I really dispise this gimmick. It's even worse than the 90s chromium covers.

The art is way too digital for my tastes, but at least it looks clean 

20210324_132111.jpg

Edited by Dr. Dank

1 hour ago, Dr. Dank said:

I was very disappointed to find out Dark Horse lost the rights to Alien.

So in my depression I went out and bought the first issue off the shelf, something I haven't done since 1997-98.

I'll never ever understand the need for this many variant covers, nor the ratios, but I got them all, except the Gleason virgin, which I think is the rarest of them all.

The book itself is OK. There is some blood and violence, which I was expecting to be eradicated.  I might even pick up the second issue. As long as there aren't variant covers. I really dispise this gimmick. It's even worse than the 90s chromium covers.

The art is way too digital for my tastes, but at least it looks clean 

20210324_132111.jpg

I only picked up the main cover.  While I like the Gleason the virgin would have been the only one of interest to get and yeah forget that noise.

I will read it tonight while waiting on servers to do their thing at work.

3 hours ago, Dr. Dank said:

34 covers. 

30 fricken 4. Like seriously?

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic/7860828/alien-1

I ended up with the Gleason reg cover.  Went to my normal LCS and they had pulled it for me (due to my admiration for the webhead covers) so I bought it.

This is still not Last Ronin nuts with some 80 covers of issue #1.

I read Alien last night and while it was ok, I was not wow'd.

I was at a LCS yesterday and they informed me that they have their own shop Alien 1 variant. I purchased the book and it’s not on the league of geeks websites list, but it’s on the LCS’s bay store. 

It's the "Third Eye Comics" variant.

034F7145-B365-447E-BF80-1DA70C5909A1.jpeg

Edited by Otter1775
Update information.

Already decided I've been hosed, but, it is the first Marvel issue.

I'll grab a few of the first Predator issues and call it a day.

Dark Horse is seriously superior with their works, just sad to see the end of an era

4 hours ago, Otter1775 said:

I was at a LCS yesterday and they informed me that they have their own shop Alien 1 variant. I purchased the book and it’s not on the league of geeks websites list, but it’s on the LCS’s bay store. 

034F7145-B365-447E-BF80-1DA70C5909A1.jpeg

That is a nice cover 

Well none of this chatter is making me optimistic, but I honestly didn't expect much. I had to return to the office this week (after working from home for a year) so I haven't had time to get out to the comic shop. Instead, I've been coming home and falling asleep on the couch at 5:30pm like the old man I apparently am now. Anyway, my copies should be waiting in my box, will probably get to them next week. I have yet to see any cover that I actually like. They just all look very Marvel same-y to me, computery, ugly, dull. 

15 hours ago, Dr. Dank said:

It's sad. 

Here's hoping they get some writers who can bring a caliber to the series in the future

I hope so but at this point I am not sure I will pickup #2.  I generally go with a rule of 3s.  Get a book for 3 issues, if it keeps my interest, stay with it.  If it doesn't, drop it like a hot stone.

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Where does this Marvel series fall in the Alien timeline?

Well there is a Bishop series android, but that means nothing

On 3/26/2021 at 12:48 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

Where does this Marvel series fall in the Alien timeline?

According to issue 1: Year 2122: Nostromo sent to LV-426, Year 2179: Hadley's Hope overrun by Xenomorphs, hence Colonial Marines/Ripley intervention, and the current Alien's series is set in the Year 2200.

Edited by Otter1775
Update information.

Here are another 2 more issues for Alien 1, that I picked up today at a LCS: Comics to Astonish:

1st is the "Comics to Astonish" regular store variant.

2nd is the "Comics to Astonish" virgin store variant.

img003.jpg

img006.jpg

Edited by Otter1775
Wrong Cover Artist.

3 hours ago, Otter1775 said:

Here are another 2 more issues for Alien 1, by artist Inhyuk Lee, that I picked up today at a LCS: Comics to Astonish:

1st is the "Comics to Astonish" regular store variant.

2nd is the "Comics to Astonish" virgin store variant.

img003.jpg

img006.jpg

Honestly like this more than the "snake tongue" cover