• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Alien
1 1

63 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, BrooksR said:

I kind of liked it, I don’t mind a slow build on an alien story. In Aliens, one of my favorite movies, the “action” doesn’t start until way into the movie.

(thumbsu

For me, in all good stories, you need to establish character and setting.  If you don’t, there’s very little emotional investment in the story.

1 hour ago, 500Club said:

(thumbsu

For me, in all good stories, you need to establish character and setting.  If you don’t, there’s very little emotional investment in the story.

Agreed, but this is a bit bland already. Feels like it's going for 80s schlock. 

6 hours ago, BrooksR said:

I kind of liked it, I don’t mind a slow build on an alien story. In Aliens, one of my favorite movies, the “action” doesn’t start until way into the movie.

I dug it too, more than I thought I would. I can see why people are a little disappointed due to the lack of actual Aliens, but I'm sure issue 2 will fix that.

On 3/28/2021 at 12:32 PM, Otter1775 said:

Here are another 2 more issues for Alien 1, by artist Inhyuk Lee, that I picked up today at a LCS: Comics to Astonish:

1st is the "Comics to Astonish" regular store variant.

2nd is the "Comics to Astonish" virgin store variant.

img003.jpg

Are you sure it's Inhyuk Lee? I don't recognize the signature.

23 hours ago, Juno Beach said:

Are you sure it's Inhyuk Lee? I don't recognize the signature.

Inhyuk did the 1:500 and the 2 per store Premiere Variant, I do not think that one from Comics to Astonish is his also.

Here is the Comics to Astonish artist's "signature".

image.png.7144afc629ca4414cff6bad8990be870.png

Here is Inhyuk's from the Premiere Variant.

image.png.0cbe64ca5e0451f1868c0eb7b45164fa.png

4 hours ago, Crops068 said:

Inhyuk did the 1:500 and the 2 per store Premiere Variant, I do not think that one from Comics to Astonish is his also.

Here is the Comics to Astonish artist's "signature".

image.png.7144afc629ca4414cff6bad8990be870.png

Here is Inhyuk's from the Premiere Variant.

image.png.0cbe64ca5e0451f1868c0eb7b45164fa.png

Juno & Crops, I went off the information provided on the inside of the book. So, I’d say you’re both correct that it’s not Mr. Inhyuk’s. Thank you to you both for pointing that out.

1 minute ago, Otter1775 said:

Juno & Crops, I went off the information provided on the inside of the book. So, I’d say you’re both correct that it’s not Mr. Inhyuk’s. Thank you to you both for pointing that out.

Now I wanna know who it is, it is a nice cover and the artist should get recognition. :)

Finally had a chance to get down to the shop and pick up my books, so I just finished the first issue a few minutes ago. I can't say the story is "bad", as we're only one issue in, but it's definitely lackluster. Took about three minutes to read, which I guess is standard for a Marvel book these days. Maybe it will take an exciting turn, but so far I'm not overly optimistic.

The real crime here is the art. I'd read about Larroca's penchant for Greg Land-sequel photoshop tracing, but it's really egregious. It renders the conversation scenes completely static, and the one big double page spread of the actual ALIENS is pretty clearly full of photoshopped pics of NECA action figures. What a joke. Just terrible, ugly, lazy stuff.

My favorite cover was the blank. Simple, black, elegant, like Alien should be. None of the others really do anything for me, though at least the Momoko has some sense of stylization. Not usually my thing, but at least it's something.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Finally had a chance to get down to the shop and pick up my books, so I just finished the first issue a few minutes ago. I can't say the story is "bad", as we're only one issue in, but it's definitely lackluster. Took about three minutes to read, which I guess is standard for a Marvel book these days. Maybe it will take an exciting turn, but so far I'm not overly optimistic.

The real crime here is the art. I'd read about Larroca's penchant for Greg Land-sequel photoshop tracing, but it's really egregious. It renders the conversation scenes completely static, and the one big double page spread of the actual ALIENS is pretty clearly full of photoshopped pics of NECA action figures. What a joke. Just terrible, ugly, lazy stuff.

My favorite cover was the blank. Simple, black, elegant, like Alien should be. None of the others really do anything for me, though at least the Momoko has some sense of stylization. Not usually my thing, but at least it's something.

I really want a sig or sketch on that black cover.

My favorite cover is the space Wraparound. I'd love to get a Nostromo sketch on that

12 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I thought about picking up #1, as I love the first few movies, but reading this thread, I am kind of glad I didn't.

Meh.  One sixth of the story has been told.  I wonder if anyone stopped watching ‘Alien’ or ‘Aliens’ a sixth of the way in because they seemed slow, or nothing was happening.

Too early to judge.

On 3/28/2021 at 2:32 PM, Otter1775 said:

Here are another 2 more issues for Alien 1, that I picked up today at a LCS: Comics to Astonish:

1st is the "Comics to Astonish" regular store variant.

2nd is the "Comics to Astonish" virgin store variant.

img003.jpg

img006.jpg

Khoi Pham, verified with Comics to Astonish 🙂

@Juno Beach