• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In light of the SA price explosion, is GA the place to put new funds instead?
5 5

221 posts in this topic

On 4/14/2021 at 1:41 PM, Mmehdy said:

I would not say "better" just different. The look and feel of a GA comic book is just different from the SA books. I bought the SA books off the news stand  and had to go to the used book store or other collectors for GA in the late 60's. In the long run less copies does mean a bit more price stability due to rareness and age. Both if bought in a responsible manner   and selectively in terms of label, paper and staple quality can be rewarding to both GA/SA comic books. It is just a matter of time that a number of SA books will dominate the "top Ten" most expensive comic books in our GA/SA comic book world. 10 years from now the top ten sales prices look for ULTRA high grade FF1,ASM1, JIM#83, and TOS#39 to be right there.

Different is a good way to put it Mitch. Like you, I grew up buying the early SA Marvels off the racks. I loved them then, and still do. But back in the day when you got lucky and ran into a few of those early, fat “10 centers”, your heart skipped a beat. I quickly embraced the challenge of finding them. SA has always been easy to find if you have the money. But sometimes, there are books you just can’t get money be dammed.

I see the general longevity of the Marvel superheroes a sure bet. Many of the books I covet for their rarity or coolness factor might start to take a back seat. But not in my lifetime.