• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Apple Comic Con May 1st (One Day Anniversary Event)
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Curious if anyone here on the boards is going to go to Mike Carbo's one day event on May 1st? 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMcqBPir4k5/

I went in 2017 I believe to see the Kirby/Eisner at 100 panel (which devolved into audience members asking about the film 'Logan' for some reason) but remember digging the old school vibe and some of the back issues I was able to get. Interested in anyone else's thoughts or stories from Big Apple Cons?

2 hours ago, speedcake said:

I'm going, if anyone would like to say hi.

I'm mainly going because it's a show where there will be comics for sale and I've not been to one of those since 2019.

I'm glad to say Hi. And yeah, same- I like shows where there's a sense of comic sensibility over pop culture sensibility and guests who are veterans of the industry.

is it just going to be him selling his stuff? I am loathe to go into manhattan for a show and get turned away at the door because they are at 1/3 capacity or whatever the city allows? Are dealers going to schlep into the city for this? I went to a free one he did like 10 years ago. I used to go to his shows all the time.

11 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Carbo is a superstar.

I did a play at The Actor's Studio with Thomas G Waites as the star (from The Warriors and The Thing, etc.) and I look out at the audience getting seated and Mike Carbo (whom I didn't know prior) was getting outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed I'm like, hey that's that comic guy and Waites goes, "Everybody knows that mad man!" (in a complimentary way) and it just always struck me. When I saw Carbo at the East Coast Con in NJ the following year I went up and talked to him and he remembered me from the play and was super cool and we talked about QUEEN and bands from the seventies. I liked him very much.

Edited by wisbyron
sentence structure

1 minute ago, wisbyron said:

I did a play at The Actor's Studio with Thomas G Waites as the star (from The Warriors and The Thing, etc.) and I look out at the audience getting seated and Mike Carbo (whom I didn't know prior) was getting outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed I'm like, hey that's that comic guy and Waites goes, "Everybody knows that mad man!" (in a complimentary way) and it just always struck me. When I saw Carbo at the East Coast Con in NJ the following year I went up and talked to him and he remembered me from the play and was super cool and we talked about QUEEN and bands from the seventies. I liked him very much.

was getting S E A T E D. I was not posting any affiliate link and it won't let me edit this out so I don't know how to fix it. 

Edited by wisbyron
something keeps showing up when I write

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Yes, he is very personable. Just pumped up with energy. He has been doing this for a VERY long time. If you ever run into him, ask him about his Studio 54 days in NY. :roflmao:

When I talked to him in 2019, he said he was working on his autobiography called "Comic Books Saved My Life" so I hope that era is included!

Welp, not really a surprise and entirely understandable but they are delaying it. Just got this e-mail:

SPECIAL EVENT MAY 1ST PREQUEL POSTPONED TO JULY 24TH 2021

Hi all,

These are not easy times to be your friendly neighborhood comic con. After meeting with the New Yorker Hotel and with NYC health authorities, and after canvassing our exhibitors, we have decided that our May 1st date is not possible. Working with the New Yorker Hotel, we are postponing the show until Saturday July 24th 2021.

The rules in force for May 1st (limiting the number of exhibitor personnel at each space, 1 per table, no more 150 people including staff, security, and exhibitors in the venue at any time), rendered it impossible run the show we all know and love.  We would also have had to cancel the cosplay contest as it would place too many people in the event room at the same time. 

We were aware that conditions were not ideal, and were working with all precaution, but it is now clear that prospected reopening will not happen before June. If we cannot be 100% safe and have our usual open, boisterous, chaotic fun at the BACC, we must wait a bit longer until we can.

By July 24th, everyone who wants to get a vaccination should have one, NYC officials are indicating that unless there is a dramatic change in the pandemic situation, the city will be open at something like normal after June.

All ticket holders for this event (May 1st 2021) are automatically ticketed to the new date of July 24th, 2021, if you intend to come you do not have to do anything. If you will be unable to attend, we will refund your tickets.

We want to thank all of you for your support and the faith you have in our show. We are postponing the show because events render it impossible to make it the show we love and one that offers maximum enjoyment with minimum discomfort or risk at this very difficult time. We do not want to be overzealous in our desire to reopen, nor haphazard in our caution, and have no choice but to follow the guidelines set by the City and the venue. 

We will have the show July 24th, we have have our Cosplay contest with great prizes, all our exhibitors are eager, and so many of you have applauded our reopening.