• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Man-Thing #1 9.8 for $3840.00
2 2

29 posts in this topic

Hmm, what's up with Man-Thing? I had a fine copy snapped off ebay last week after languishing for a while. I guess it's still just key book/#1 issues/covid market madness.

Honestly, considering what so many bronze keys are doing right now, 3800 seems reasonable for a 9.8 Man Thing 1. I realize it had been dormant for a while, but this seems like a case of it heating up for some reason. There was probably a rumor of a movie or streaming show or something. You know how these things go. 

But while I look at books like H181 and GSX1 in vexed befuddlement at where the current prices have gone, something like this feels more like a price correction to me. Definitely surprising it jumped so much in such a short time, but still, 3800 doesn't seem such an outrageous price to me.

23 minutes ago, profholt82 said:

Honestly, considering what so many bronze keys are doing right now, 3800 seems reasonable for a 9.8 Man Thing 1. I realize it had been dormant for a while, but this seems like a case of it heating up for some reason. There was probably a rumor of a movie or streaming show or something. You know how these things go. 

But while I look at books like H181 and GSX1 in vexed befuddlement at where the current prices have gone, something like this feels more like a price correction to me. Definitely surprising it jumped so much in such a short time, but still, 3800 doesn't seem such an outrageous price to me.

So you're saying you'd rather have a Man-Thing #1 9.8 versus a Giant X-Men #1 5.0 or Incredible Hulk #181 4.5?

12 minutes ago, manetteska said:

So you're saying you'd rather have a Man-Thing #1 9.8 versus a Giant X-Men #1 5.0 or Incredible Hulk #181 4.5?

No, thanks, probably not. But personally I've never been into Man-Thing, I've just been astonished at where the prices have gone on those 2 books while the Man Thing 1 still seems relatively reasonable by comparison. That was my point. And obviously he's much more of a niche character than anything in the X universe, but he is still a character who's had a ton of longevity and has decent potential to be a part of the whole Marvel-Disney universe in the future. That's why I feel that 3800 for a 9.8 isn't outrageous, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go a bit higher in the future. I don't think the book is a sleeping giant necessarily, but perhaps it has been overlooked thus far and the market is beginning to adjust a bit. Or maybe this is just an anomaly and I'm overthinking it. Ha!

2 hours ago, profholt82 said:

Would you pay $3800 for it? I personally wouldn't, I think it is a vastly inflated price, just my opinion though .

Hmmm....I have to agree. 

Since this puppy contains "0" first appearances, it's difficult to understand the rationale for this high dollar purchase.

- Man-Thing #1 (January 1974)..2nd Appearance of Howard the Duck (51 Universal Blue copies in CGC 9.8)

On paper there definitely are more prudent Man-Thing books to procure with $3,840 of ammo...

1)  Savage Tales #1 (May 1971)...Origin and 1st App. of Man-Thing (15 Universal Blue copies in CGC 9.8)
2)  Astonishing Tales #12 (June 1972)...1st Comic Book App. of Man-Thing (Only 1...That's Right...Only 1 lonely copy in CGC 9.8 Universal Blue)
3)  Adventure into Fear #10 (October 1972)...1st Solo Series of Man-Thing (11 Universal Blue Copies in CGC 9.8)

I'll probably get flamed for this, but the most valuable Man-Thing book at this time SHOULD BE the single / lone copy of Astonishing Tales #12 (CGC 9.8). 

NOT Savage Tales #1 (CGC 9.8).

Actually, I would agree that Astonishing Tales #12 with its impossible black picture frame cover should be way up there.  I believe Bob's 9.6 sold for $2000+ early last year on CL.  Suspect that the one and only 9.8 would bring multiples of that in today's market. Paul

10 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:
On 3/29/2021 at 9:44 AM, manetteska said:

I would. Phantom Stranger 14 is getting hard to find because it was a prototype of both Swamp Thing and Man Thing.

What does that have to do with a random Bronze Age 1st issue?