• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much of a grade hit would extra staples be?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Bludriver said:

I have around 20 books that someone put 3 extra staples along the spine. There was no need for them as the books are firmly attached to the original staples.

If the books are otherwise let's say 8.0, how much of a grade hit would these get?

Thanks!

Maybe a qualified 8.0? Maybe a PLOD at worst. Sometimes I want to time travel and have a frank exchange of ideas with people who blacked out teeth on covers and added staples.

7 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Maybe a qualified 8.0? Maybe a PLOD at worst. Sometimes I want to time travel and have a frank exchange of ideas with people who blacked out teeth on covers and added staples.

Thanks. It took me a little bit of time to figure out what PLOD was :bigsmile:

I would never have them graded, but if I decide to sell them I am trying to figure out what grade to give them.

4 hours ago, Bludriver said:

Thanks. It took me a little bit of time to figure out what PLOD was :bigsmile:

I would never have them graded, but if I decide to sell them I am trying to figure out what grade to give them.

Aw. They might be a tough sell. I guess if they look 8.0 then sell them based on that.

On 3/29/2021 at 4:19 PM, Randall Ries said:

I get your point and often feel the same way, but remembering that comic collecting wasn't what it was now back in the old days, professional grading was decades away, and the owners were often times kids who weren't speculating on future value for some other owner, helps. 

That is of course assuming the books are older and the actions were taken at the time by the original owner and not by some recent dummy. 

1 minute ago, serling1978 said:

I get your point and often feel the same way, but remembering that comic collecting wasn't what it was now back in the old days, professional grading was decades away, and the owners were often times kids who weren't speculating on future value for some other owner, helps. 

That is of course assuming the books are older and the actions were taken at the time by the original owner and not by some recent dummy. 

Oh yes. I say that with tongue in cheek. Kids are kids. Who knew? In the early mid seventies, we were starting to figure out "Hey. These things are worth....Something." Just not sure what. Even as late as 1983, I had an opportunity to buy a  Bat 1 6.0-ish for $3,000. Didn't have $3,000 as a 20 year old in a recession. Ain't it the way things go?

On 3/31/2021 at 6:32 AM, serling1978 said:

Darn kids.  Get the heck off my lawn.

On 8/27/2021 at 5:00 PM, PovertyRow said:

My Tom Mix Ralston-Purina promo had the original staples removed and two extra staples added after manufacture. Still got a Universal 4.5.

TomMix 12 RalstonPurina.png

Do you have any idea if they were vintage staples and would that make a difference between Universal and Restored?

On 8/27/2021 at 8:22 PM, grendelbo said:

Do you have any idea if they were vintage staples and would that make a difference between Universal and Restored?

I don't know for sure but assume they are vintage staples. However, how this would fall today into the Universal/Conserved/Restored category would require the Oracle of Delphi to predict!

On 8/28/2021 at 3:37 PM, PovertyRow said:

I don't know for sure but assume they are vintage staples. However, how this would fall today into the Universal/Conserved/Restored category would require the Oracle of Delphi to predict!

Thanks. IMO Universal.

I dig your idea though.

41297ddd3fc6b7d4bcf375931fe751e8.thumb.jpg.598ba36504f23c2500fdcd1b2fe20bbe.jpg