• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone a fan of XELA Airbrush covers? Post 'em if you got 'em.
3 3

63 posts in this topic

Question to the group: does original art still exist for any Schomburg airbrush covers? I know there are original Schomburg line art covers from the 40s, and painted pulp/magazine covers from the 50s. But asking specifically about the Startling/Thrilling/Exciting/Wonder lineups, from Nedor/Pines/what-have-you.

On 9/19/2022 at 1:59 PM, Point Five said:

Question to the group: does original art still exist for any Schomburg airbrush covers? I know there are original Schomburg line art covers from the 40s, and painted pulp/magazine covers from the 50s. But asking specifically about the Startling/Thrilling/Exciting/Wonder lineups, from Nedor/Pines/what-have-you.

I've never seen any.  The only thing I've seen is I think somebody posted a picture of a painting or mural of a sci-fi image that was found at a school / college on the boards years ago.  I'm not sure what happened to it or what thread it was under, it was a looooooooooooong time ago.  Maybe someone downloaded it or can recall what I'm talking about.  (shrug)

On 9/19/2022 at 12:59 PM, Point Five said:

It wouldn't surprise me if some of his airbrushed comic work still exists somewhere, perhaps held in trust by Alex's extended family members, but it's also possible that many (most?) of his originals were trashed after initial use. At the time, commercial illustration was considered disposable, usually bought outright by publishers at a given rate.  

On 11/11/2022 at 11:57 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

That's because it's not an airbrush cover...:gossip:  :baiting:

lol, understood. I guess my point was I was not familiar with his using this Xela on anything other than an airbrush cover until I ran across this.  I could start another thread "show us your Xela signed non-airbrush covers."

Edited by path4play