• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL Turn Around Times thread for Trading Card Submissions!
8 8

2,604 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, UncSven said:

What tax law? What the heck are you talking about?

Yeah I have a feeling a lot of people don't know about this. Starts in 2022. Basically, in 2022 it will be impossible to not report taxes on Pokemon sales. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/26/its-going-to-get-harder-to-avoid-telling-the-irs-about-income-from-online-sales.html

5 hours ago, PokemanDude90 said:

Yeah I have a feeling a lot of people don't know about this. Starts in 2022. Basically, in 2022 it will be impossible to not report taxes on Pokemon sales. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/26/its-going-to-get-harder-to-avoid-telling-the-irs-about-income-from-online-sales.html

Ahh so it changes EBay’s requirement of sending a 1099-K for people who sell from $20,000 and 200 items to just $600.

On 4/9/2021 at 2:38 PM, DonLaGreca said:

Lol do you really think when they gave this initial estimate things would blow up like they did? Obviously not and they have since drastically changed TATs to reflect the massive influx in demand. PSA shut down entirely due to demand, I am just try and be logical here. CGC is a business and they would certainly like to retain customers. They gave a rough estimate that they felt at the time they could meet and obviously things have drastically changed. They have adjusted their TATs accordingly and are beginning to meet these new times. Its unfortunate for the people that submitted cards in the beginning, right before the massive influx of cards, buts its simply the reality of the situation. There is really no simple fix to this problem. Card grading is a difficult business to scale, especially scale rapidly, just take a look at PSA. If shutting down submissions completely is the only way to catch up then you should realize how unprecedented these times are.. 

Ya know Ive defended CGC quite a bit in the beginning trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but now with these TAT's on bulk continuously making the service unusable, I really do think they have to take some sort of responsibility at some point. They cant keep taking bulk and neglecting it completely since that seems to be the trend now. If I decide to use them again (and thats a big if at this point), Id never use the bulk again. I had to pay to cut the line while my 12/30 bulk submission probably wont return for another month or so. 5 months TAT is just bad. If this was PSA, yeah at least the resale values make up for it, but this isnt PSA. This is the new kid to the block. Their resale values are going to be on par with BGS and BGS has proven for years that its not close to PSA, so at this point, CGC is just becoming BGS 2.0, which is nothing to write home about.

There is a very easy simple solution to this, which is not what people want to hear but it at this point, there is not any solution to make everyone happy, and that is to stop taking bulk. I feel its kind of arrogance on CGC's part at this point to think they can handle the bulk. They just cant do it. PSA cant do it, SGC cant do it and im sure BGS will stop taking bulk at this point. If companies who have been around for 20+ years cant do it, then there is no universe that CGC can do it. Its not possible to scale. Hiring 70 employees and thinking that in a few months they can turn it around is just living in a dream world at this point. The business of card grading isnt really scalable since finding skilled graders who will take whatever salary they are offering to work in Sarasota (a retirement town) isnt possible. 

TAT's for bulk and economy are on track to be 7-8 months at the rate we are going. Maybe even longer. They are still stuck all the way back in mid December and its April. They keep taking more standard and higher tiers. Even if its not CGC's fault all of this, it just makes them look bad. And the lack of any sort of small compensation (like a 50 dollar voucher or literally anything at this point), it just makes me not want to come back unless they really turn things around.

23 hours ago, jd619641 said:

Ahh so it changes EBay’s requirement of sending a 1099-K for people who sell from $20,000 and 200 items to just $600.

Lol is that a joke? Who has been selling online and NOT reporting their taxes? Its almost like they want the IRS at their doorstop....

1 hour ago, geraldfordfan69 said:

Lol is that a joke? Who has been selling online and NOT reporting their taxes? Its almost like they want the IRS at their doorstop....

I would imagine that the majority of sellers on eBay do not report sales on their taxes (not talking about stores, just “casual” sellers). And since eBay doesn’t send a 1099-K unless you sell at least $20,000 in a year, most people won’t voluntarily report it. 

On 4/9/2021 at 2:38 PM, DonLaGreca said:

Lol do you really think when they gave this initial estimate things would blow up like they did?

Yes, considering the one man show GMA was backlogged, PSA, BGS, and SGC were all already in the ter when CGC started. Didn't take a genius to see what was coming. I'd even go so far as to say it would be pretty hard for someone that was totally braindead to not see how that was going to go in terms of the card market. It just keeps climbing higher so more people sending more and more in. What surprised me was that they didn't do anything to avoid getting just like the other services. Look at HGA. They limit subs, you have to wait in a queue, if you're too far back then you're sol but it keeps TAT on par, and they aren't losing out on business because they're taking on the maximum amount of work they can actually perform. There's no point estimating X days to take 300%+ longer to complete it. All that accomplishes is having a bunch of pissed off customers.

Edited by Yeahiwasder4dat

I saw for Express or Walk Through you're suppose to write on the box so it gets opened up right away. Is there something I should have written on my Standard submission? I know I'm small potatoes but my cards have been there for a month and still haven't updated in my profile or payment, but it says current turn around is 31 days for Standard. I have hundreds of cards at PSA from last year I don't know when ill ever see which isn't good for business, so I figured I would try CGC. Does anyone know what the current wait time is on the process starting? Can I mix Express and Standard in the same shipment?

Sean-

11 minutes ago, Sean Dahl said:

I saw for Express or Walk Through you're suppose to write on the box so it gets opened up right away. Is there something I should have written on my Standard submission? I know I'm small potatoes but my cards have been there for a month and still haven't updated in my profile or payment, but it says current turn around is 31 days for Standard. I have hundreds of cards at PSA from last year I don't know when ill ever see which isn't good for business, so I figured I would try CGC. Does anyone know what the current wait time is on the process starting? Can I mix Express and Standard in the same shipment?

Sean-

It takes 10-20 business days (closer to the 20 right now) to “receive” the package (open it and log it). Then the “clock” starts to run on the turn around time (31 business days for standard tier). Yes, you can mix different tiers in the same package

48 minutes ago, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

Yes, considering the one man show GMA was backlogged, PSA, BGS, and SGC were all already in the ter when CGC started. Didn't take a genius to see what was coming. I'd even go so far as to say it would be pretty hard for someone that was totally braindead to not see how that was going to go. What surprised me was that they didn't do anything to avoid getting just like the other services. Look at HGA. They limit subs, you have to wait in a queue, if you're too far back then you're sol but it keeps TAT on par, and they aren't losing out on business because they're taking on the maximum amount of work they can actually perform. There's no point estimating X days to take 300%+ longer to complete it. All that accomplishes is having a bunch of pissed off customers.

Its funny on social media how everyone was bashing PSA and SGC for the decisions they made to kill all bulk submissions but it was the best decisions they could have made. I feel bad for anyone who is submitting bulk right now since its on track to not return by the end of this year. And whats crazy is how CGC is only on MID December in April. This means they will probably finish January by July/August, maybe. I basically had to pay extra for my mid January submissions and February ones since Id be waiting all year for my stuff to return.. Since they keep taking stacks of bulk shining legends and tons of standard orders, ithe TAT's are just going to get worse than PSA, which I didnt think was humanly possible. I didnt think a company that only handles magic, pokemon and comics could have longer TAT's than companies that grade almost anything.

As soon as the PSA shutdown happened and CGC chose to ignore it, I knew grading here was just over. I have a few left over cards that I could send in for standard but Ill just wait at this point to go somewhere else. It sucks since CGC started off great and I thought that they could have taken my business long term from PSA. Maybe some day they will get it together like how SGC did, but right now, yeah forget it. The TAT's that produce less value than PSA just kills it for me. I can legit see 200+ TAT's at this point if a shutdown doesnt happen first. I just wonder at this point if CGC has the pride to at least say at a point "yeah, we cant handle this" since Id be more willing to come back if they can face the reality that nobody in this industry can scale this massive demand. Nothing CGC has going on can outscale any company, so I dont know if at this point what they are doing since im just baffled. 

12 hours ago, Sean Dahl said:

Sean-

There is nothing you are supposed to write on a Standard order box, the purpose of writing on the Express/Walk Through is that those are higher tier expedited services they are trying to locate packages BEFORE opening Standard/Economy/Bulk Tier packages.

1 hour ago, JeTopps said:
  • Submission Type: Economy - 12 Cards
  • Received: 12/22/20
  • Scheduled for Grading: Nope
  • Grading/Quality Control: Nope
  • Finalized/Imaged/Shipped: Nope

Yours should go to Scheduled for grading in the next week

Submission #1

• Submission Type: Economy (19 cards) 
  • Delivered: 2/18/21
  • Received: 2/19/21
    Still waiting..

Submission #2

• Submission Type: Standard (10) 
  • Delivered: 3/19
  • Received: N/A

Delivered to CGC - 3/11

Marked as Received in CGC's system- 4/9

So about a month for a bulk sub to be received in their system. If anyone is impatient with them getting marked received just call customer service. They're pretty accurate with what week they are logging packages from. 

Got 2 more Bulk orders Delivered 3/14 and 3/28 still not receive

Received: 4/6/21
Items: 7
Service: TCG - EXPRESS
Received: 4/2/21
Items: 33
Service: TCG - BULK
Items: 19
Items: 1
Service: TCG - ECONOMY
Received: 3/30/21
Items: 8
Service: TCG - EXPRESS
Received: 2/11/21
Items: 28
Items: 30
Items: 10
Service: TCG - ECONOMY

On 4/6/2021 at 9:27 AM, Buzzetta said:

There is another possibility where the future is not so bleak.  

There seems to be a problem with the grading of Pokemon cards in general across multiple companies and the problem is obviously the sheer volume of submissions.  I absolutely agree with you that this is a dumpster fire in the making across all companies. But that leads to two questions: 

• What are the actual causes of the dumpster fire across all companies?
  • What will the impact be? 

I am not a CGC apologist. If it was JUST CGC experiencing problems then surely the problem would lie on CGC.  When everyone is experiencing problems then the root of the problem might be coming from someplace else.  Keep in mind that there really are only two comic book grading companies and no one is seeing anything like what we are seeing with cards.

The sudden explosion in the card market over the last two years seems to be driving people into submitting everything and anything.   When it comes to comics people are reluctant to submit books when, "Value of comic < Grading and associated fees".    By the admission of some posters they are submitting cards that may not necessarily be worth getting graded. 

So I have some questions.

• Are there collectors that are grading cards or people looking to flip?  Because if there are more people looking to flip, do you think that this will cause an oversaturation of graded pokemon cards that would normally be considered common cards?  
  • Oversaturation would normally cause prices to recede.  If the market corrects itself will people still submit as many cards?
  • Would raising prices on grading cards alleviate the matter?  At the lowest tier, why not submit junk cards just to have it graded.  By raising prices, would Pokemon collectors be more selective in what they submit for grading OR is the mindset to have a fully graded set of a certain set of cards regardless of value? 

The root of the problem seems to be the sheer glut of cards that no company seems capable of handling right now.   It's like if a dam broke and the card collectors were expecting the card companies to accommodate it.  No matter how many pumps you have on hand the valley cannot accommodate flood once the dam breaks. 

So maybe something has to change and perhaps it is the culture of what deserves to be graded and what does not in order for TAT's to become more on track.

One of the main problems with all grading companies is the influx of cards coming in from BULK SUBMISSIONS from 100 different Facebook groups with people grading every rookie card they get there hands on thinking they have the next Tom Brady card. Only for them to get hurt and there value drop 80% before the card even gets back from grading. If they limited the bulk submissions the turn around times would get alot better. 

22 minutes ago, Clemsondad24 said:

One of the main problems with all grading companies is the influx of cards coming in from BULK SUBMISSIONS from 100 different Facebook groups with people grading every rookie card they get there hands on thinking they have the next Tom Brady card. Only for them to get hurt and there value drop 80% before the card even gets back from grading. If they limited the bulk submissions the turn around times would get alot better. 

They probably need to cut off recent years from grading. For sports, at least 5 years. These rookies need to prove themselves in their leagues. As good as Luka and Zion look, it just takes one bad injury and they are next Greg Oden. Imagine if everyone was grading Greg Odon or Johnny Menzel the way they are grading these new players LOL. 

For Pokemon, anything that is standard legal should not be allowed to be graded, so the last 2 years worth of cards should be cut out. Cards should have to rotate out of standard gameplay before they can be sent in. Grading sets that are not even a month old is getting ridiculous. Stacks of Shining Fates cards that are not even a few months old and are sub 5 dollars continue to flood and jam up the system. If people wanna grade whatever, then they would pay a premium for newer cards. If not then they have to wait. It seems like common sense but it seems like most companies are just not seeing it for some reason.