• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buyers: What is your plan for the current insanity?
3 3

286 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

OK. I am going to try to figure these out. I restricted myself to the SA. If I hadn't, I would add IH #181, GSXM #1, ASM #300, XM #94, XM #101, ASM #361, ToD #10, ASM #129, Conan #1, among others.

01) FF #1
02) IH #1
03) AF #15
04) ASM #1
05) TtA #27
06) XM #1
06) ToS #39
07) JiM #83
08) ST #110
09) Avengers #1
10) DD #1
11) FF #5
12) FF #48
13) ASM #14
14) Sgt. Fury #1
15) TtA #44
16) ASM #3
17) ASM #50
18) JiM #85
19) Avengers #4
20) FF #4
21) FF #52
22) IM #55
23) TtA #13
24) ToS #52
25) ASM Annual #1

I know this is more than 22, but how close was I?

you forgot night nurse #1lol

Yeah, this sucks because I had to sell a bunch of keys a few years back to put my kid in college and stabilize my rental properties.  I guess both efforts were successful, but I missed those books. After trying to figure out how to collect again, I have  lately been having fun shopping for early non-key marvels and some DC keys.  Trying to avoid buying things that I think will go backward that I might be able to use as trade bait to repurchase my keys when things do cool off.

Edited by Westy Steve

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:

Last week, I had considered selling my ASM #1 CGC 3.0 and my IH #181 CGC 8.5 to buy a nicer copy of ASM #1. I also considered selling my FF #1 CGC 2.5 and my IH #181 CGC 8.5 to buy a nicer copy of FF #1.

Last Sales, according to GPA: ASM #1 CGC 3.0 ($8,250 - March 2021), FF #1 CGC 2.5 ($9,701 - January 2021), and IH #181 CGC 8.5 ($12,500 - April 2021). I am sure that the FF #1 price would have increased by April.

So, if I sold my ASM #1 and IH #181, I would receive, at best, $20,750. With this, I could possibly afford an ASM #1 in CGC 5.0 - 5.5.
If I sold my FF #1 and IH #181, I would receive, at best, $22,201. With this, I could possibly afford an FF #1  in CGC 4.0 - 4.5.

Or I could sell all three books and hope for prices to go down. Since I don't have any confidence that prices will go down anytime soon, I don't think I am going to go down that road. Also, I want to make sure that I have an ASM #1 and an FF #1 in my collection.

I honestly don't have any real strong connection to IH #181. Yes, I do like Wolverine, but not as much as I like Spider-Man or the Fantastic Four. But I can't ignore the fact that the price for my grade of IH #181 has tripled in price since I bought it in late 2019. And most of that tripling has occurred in the last three months.

As you can see, I'm on the horns of an enema (I mean, a dilemma).

I would be interested in your FF1.

I'm mostly selling but have been stockpiling three books whenever I find them at a price I think is right. The problem is it seems everyone is chasing two of the books and prices are nuts. 

4 hours ago, Off Panel said:

So, what about the rest of you? Are you swimming with the sharks or eating popcorn on the sidelines?

I'm sitting on the sidelines-  Completely content to just keep collecting my small amount of Moderns. As for back issues- I'm going to keep an open mind and see what 2021 brings. No feeBay, local cons only - I want to learn where the local markets are - Milwaukee is a cheap city and so there is still local opportunity. 

6 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Great for the copy I already own.  But it also means my days of thinking about game collecting are pretty much over.

This is a perfect illustration of the dilemma.

Congratulations on your foresight. You've probably turned a ~$50 investment into ~$50,000.

My condolences that you won't be able to pursue a hobby that you would probably really enjoy.

14 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Yeah......this insanity seems to be permeating all areas of collectibles. 

I bought a few sealed Sony PS1 games many years ago on eBay for cheap.  Didn't buy them for investment and wasn't a game collector.....just wanted them because I played and loved those games and wanted nice, sealed copies.  Tucked them away and forgot about them.

About a year ago, I started thinking about dipping my toes into video game collecting and started following the market a bit.  Sent a couple of my games into Wata to see what game grading and encapsulation was like.  My Tomb Raider came back graded 9.4.

Heritage just auctioned the first graded copy of Tomb Raider they've ever had a couple of days ago.  It was an 8.0 copy and it sold for $26,000 with the buyers premium. 

Great for the copy I already own.  But it also means my days of thinking about game collecting are pretty much over.

I hope you’re sending your 9.4 to Heritage tomorrow :flipbait:

11 minutes ago, vheflin said:

The madness continues, no records tonight:cry:

Heritage down for 2+ hours

ha.thumb.jpg.8a5e7c520e3d68dc57dc46ccc9509a58.jpg

The video game prices broke it, I was watching live when it crashed, The automated auctioneer  was talking all over himself with how fast the bids were coming in.

Edited by PKJ

2 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I hope you’re sending your 9.4 to Heritage tomorrow :flipbait:

That's the dilemma.  I got the game and had it graded because I wanted a nice sealed copy and still do.  If I sell it now, I'll probably never be able to get a nice copy again.

Also, in the video game market.....just like in comics......prices are increasing on some stuff rapidly and exponentially.  

Prior to a couple of days ago, the record paid for any video game (raw or graded).....at least publicly.....was $156,000 (Super Mario Bros. 3 in Wata 9.2 grade).

After the recent Heritage auction, the new record is now $660,000 for an early copy of Super Mario Brothers in Wata 9.6 grade.....a 9.4 copy of this game sold last July for "only" $114,000.

Other notable sales in the recent April auction:

Mega Man for the NES in Wata 9.4 grade:  $144,000

Mike Tysons Punch-out for the NES in Wata 9.6 grade:  $102,000

Pokemon Crystal Version for the Nintendo GBC in Wata 9.8 grade:  $90,000

Pokemon Red Version for the Nintendo GB in Wata 9.4 grade:  $72,000

Pokemon Emerald Version for the Nintendo GBA in Wata 9.8 grade:  $55,200

Super Mario Brothers 3 for the NES in Wata 9.8 grade:  $52,800

Pokemon Sapphire Version for the Nintendo GBA in Wata 9.8 grade:  $50,400

Final Fantasy III for the SNES in Wata 9.6 grade:  $50,400

John Madden Football Championship Edition for the Genesis in Wata 9.2 grade:  $50,400

And the list keeps going.  Nintendo games are hot right now.  Many Atari 2600 games are bringing decent (not crazy) money....even though a lot of them are plentiful.  Although....I did notice that a Mario Bros for the Atari 2600 in Wata 9.2 grade did just sell for $19,800 on Heritage....probably because of the Nintendo/Mario link to it.  And Sony PS1 games are starting to heat up......so who knows where that will go. (shrug)

Edited by Domo Arigato

2 hours ago, vheflin said:

The madness continues, no records tonight:cry:

Heritage down for 2+ hours

Yeah....they've been having some major problems with their online auction today.

They've started and stopped it a few times now.  Looks like the server wasn't responding and they finally just gave up and will finish the auction tomorrow.

Edited by Domo Arigato

Unfortunately, just sitting on the sidelines 🙃. I'd like to be a player, but I cannot justify the prices in this market.

Edited by an99
Spelling

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

I'm mostly selling but have been stockpiling three books whenever I find them at a price I think is right. The problem is it seems everyone is chasing two of the books and prices are nuts. 

Out of curiosity, which books?

If you don't want to say, that's cool, I understand 😎.

2 hours ago, piper said:

I would be interested in your FF1.

As you can see in my previous post, I am really torn about what to do. I would like to get a nicer copy of ASM #1 or FF #1. I don't want to sell my IH #181 right now, because who knows if it will go up or down. If I sell it tomorrow, and then I find out it is selling for $25,000 at the end of the year, that is a sale that I would regret. I know that I won't be able to sell right at the peak, but I would like to sell as close to the peak as possible. I am going to see what happens between now and the end of April, and then go from there.

17 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

As you can see in my previous post, I am really torn about what to do. I would like to get a nicer copy of ASM #1 or FF #1. I don't want to sell my IH #181 right now, because who knows if it will go up or down. If I sell it tomorrow, and then I find out it is selling for $25,000 at the end of the year, that is a sale that I would regret. I know that I won't be able to sell right at the peak, but I would like to sell as close to the peak as possible. I am going to see what happens between now and the end of April, and then go from there.

Ok, let me know.