• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Definition of "Altered "AC"

6 posts in this topic

• Administrator

CGC Trading Cards will not grade any card that has been altered to create the deception that it is a rarer version; for example, turning white borders black or changing the set symbol.

9 minutes ago, PaulS. said:

CGC Trading Cards will not grade any card that has been altered to create the deception that it is a rarer version; for example, turning white borders black or changing the set symbol.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not seeing anything altered on the card myself. To be clear - "Altered" is a different result than "Questionable Authenticity" ? Meaning, if the card was "Questionable Authenticity" it would have received that result rather than "altered"?

Second question is: What is the difference between a card not being encapsulated and receiving "Altered" versus a card being encapsulated with a green "CGC Qualified Grade"? My understanding is the green "CGC Qualified Grade" is what is used when a card is altered. 

Hey @PaulS. - I know you are super busy, but can you please advise on this?

"Altered" is a different result than "Questionable Authenticity" ? Meaning, if the card was "Questionable Authenticity" it would have received that result rather than "altered"?

Second question is: What is the difference between a card not being encapsulated and receiving "Altered" versus a card being encapsulated with a green "CGC Qualified Grade"? My understanding is the green "CGC Qualified Grade" is what is used when a card is altered. 

• Administrator

Do you have a photo of the card? Alterations can also include trimming, cutting corners, etc. An altered card is technically still genuine, but not one we will grade. Questionable Authenticity is saying the whole card is possibly fake. 

CGC Qualified Grade is used for something like a card that has been inked to hide whitening, or an unwitnessed signature or artistic alteration (like a drawing or painting on the card.)

Paul

On 4/19/2021 at 9:22 AM, PaulS. said:

Do you have a photo of the card? Alterations can also include trimming, cutting corners, etc. An altered card is technically still genuine, but not one we will grade. Questionable Authenticity is saying the whole card is possibly fake. 

CGC Qualified Grade is used for something like a card that has been inked to hide whitening, or an unwitnessed signature or artistic alteration (like a drawing or painting on the card.)

Paul

IMG_4472.JPG

IMG_4473.JPG