• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction starting to look pretty interesting
3 3

322 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, sfilosa said:

Some one might have 50 pages but have accumulated them over the past 10,20 or more years, and clearly bought them as a collector. 

Immaterial how/when/why acquired. The how/when/why of how they are distributed will be very important.

4 hours ago, sfilosa said:

Doesn't seem like "supply" hurt the prices.

Consistent fresh supply killed that splash. That it wasn't a cover (so doesn't count in your world?) was likely no comfort to that consignor lol 

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

Sorry for the tangent, but does anyone know if all the Brunner Dr Strange covers and pages auctioned over the last 3 or 4 years happened to come from Brunner himself? Not sure if this type of information will be confirmed on a public forum like this, but the steady stream of Brunner art has me wondering if this is one of those rare examples of the artist keeping his art and cashing in years later and enjoying "retirement benefits", or if this was a collector who cornered the Brunner market back in the day when things were cheap?

I’m 99% sure the Brunner art is not from Frank.

I was working with him years ago, and said he had none of that art by then. 

I had found a pile of his art at Marvel years ago and bought it from him. Some of that art has been in the auction.

Tony Dispoto also had a number of covers and splashes back in the mid/late 70s. 

12 hours ago, Mephisto said:

The price boom in basically all collectibles has lead to me losing interest in collecting anything...except some OA. It’s at least one of a kind and as noted hasn’t been as stupid with price increases. Toward the end 2020 I was thinking of picking up some graded comics and cards in the future. Even if there is a roll back the dramatic run up in the past four months has greatly killed my interest as there are real life useable things I’d rather spend my money on.

Bronty knows I was buying some graded MTG cards I’ve wanted for years and nothing to crazy to start. The last card I bought was one I had wanted for around 25 years. I finally bought one for $500 in early November. The last sale in the exact same grade was triple at $1,500. 😬 

That’s great and all but I just don’t feel like adding the few others I wanted at this point. Cool but not cool enough for me to want to pay triple the price in just a few months. I had no intention of flipping these things but I had two cards that also ran up in price quite a bit that weren’t favorites so I sold them a month or so ago. The one went for about 4.5X what I had paid last summer and it was from The Dark which Bronty will tell you is the drizzling 💩

As noted comics are a runaway train. X-Men 1 and 4 have been on a crazy year compared to just 6 months ago. Baseball cards for guys like Mantle and Jeter rookies forget it. 

There have been other things like graded Marvel cards taking off...however there has been some clear manipulation there. 
Same seller and same exact serial number card all three times. Nothing fishy there especially with that first “sale”. There other examples of this same exact card same eBay seller (but different seller than the Black Widow card shown). Pump and Dump baby!

518D81A7-DB6D-4EAB-BD26-094B1ED6D31E.jpeg

This is where I'm at too with me having regret on not picking up some comics when I had the chance when prices were more in my range. Not even big books either but stuff like a mid grade daredevil #1, and a 9.4 of Werewolf by Night 32. Besides the later being a hotbook now because of the Disney show which explains some of it, everything seems to have increased dramatically in price in only a small amount of time.  DD1 for example seems to have doubled in price from October. Whether it's the refound interest in Pokémon cards since the late 90s or the videogame market where even old DS games are going for hundreds of dollars there doesn't seem to be one collectible market that isn't experiencing a price rise. Which is even more amazing considering current economic issues many are facing. Of course we're also living in a time where doge coin has gone up 600% in only a few days too.

8 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Sorry for the tangent, but does anyone know if all the Brunner Dr Strange covers and pages auctioned over the last 3 or 4 years happened to come from Brunner himself? Not sure if this type of information will be confirmed on a public forum like this, but the steady stream of Brunner art has me wondering if this is one of those rare examples of the artist keeping his art and cashing in years later and enjoying "retirement benefits", or if this was a collector who cornered the Brunner market back in the day when things were cheap?

I may be confusing him with someone else, but did he die, and his widow is selling off his art? It might be someone else. Heard it a few months ago. 

6 hours ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

Whether it's the refound interest in Pokémon cards since the late 90s or the videogame market where even old DS games are going for hundreds of dollars there doesn't seem to be one collectible market that isn't experiencing a price rise. Which is even more amazing considering current economic issues many are facing. Of course we're also living in a time where doge coin has gone up 600% in only a few days too.

When financial repression is expressed as: ZIRP/NIRP* and other means**...that will motivate intelligent*** people to "save and fight future inflation" using non-bank/brokerage means. My US and Canadian pals may not be quite tuned in to this yet but the very wealthy in the EU certainly are. Anyway...Coming Soon to a Central Bank near you - all of you :)

That this is happening in collectibles (aka unregistered/unregulated non-security securities)...no surprise. That Mike Burkey is sending more and more art out to Europe year over year, with only a marginal currency adjustment in "their" favor as a visible 'why?', no surprise. Add in some creative tax policy implementations and even more next steps proposals, just rocket fuel to the thing lol 

*Promoted as encouraging consumption spending (aka "use it or lose it") for those with means beyond basic lifestyle maintenance.

**Cancellation of tangible "money" (no more physical bank runs) and "expiration date" digital currency (truly "use it or lose it").

*** Such as: those that are already low/no debt, frugal and/or prodigious savers/investors.

10 hours ago, vodou said:
14 hours ago, sfilosa said:

Some one might have 50 pages but have accumulated them over the past 10,20 or more years, and clearly bought them as a collector. 

Immaterial how/when/why acquired. The how/when/why of how they are distributed will be very important.

I've made this point before, but the amount of OA collectors that are active on these boards or who actually post their art work on CAF is very small. I say that because in general of the top 40-50 highest pieces sold in any Heritage Auction, maybe 5 at the most show up in someone's CAF gallery. I'm sure a few of those others go to dealers (8-10) for eventual resale in the future. That would mean around 70% of each HA top pieces are in collectors hands. Now, my guess is a lot of the other 70% is in collectors hands that have a CAF account, but we don't which collectors (or at least I don't).

And if there is one thing I have learned on this board, is how diverse our collecting interest are. I swear that I think most of us are afraid to say which pieces we are interested in, but when people say what they won (or bid on and lost) almost all are pieces I wasn't interested in and wouldn't have a clue if they paid a good price or not.

I say all this, because the collecting community appears to be much bigger than we think.

27 minutes ago, sfilosa said:

And if there is one thing I have learned on this board, is how diverse our collecting interest are. I swear that I think most of us are afraid to say which pieces we are interested in, but when people say what they won (or bid on and lost) almost all are pieces I wasn't interested in and wouldn't have a clue if they paid a good price or not.

haha yes .   Mostly nobody gives a krap about our purchases except ourselves.

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I may be confusing him with someone else, but did he die, and his widow is selling off his art? It might be someone else. Heard it a few months ago. 

Yes, Frank is still with us. 
You’re  thinking of someone else. 

On 4/14/2021 at 7:33 AM, batman_fan said:

Another significant item just showed up.  I think it is spectacular.

095BD34C-0238-4399-AE47-44ECD9DD6381.jpeg

Where is this page showing? (I couldn't find it)

Might be the best page in the book! There are some better action pages, but I don't think they have the character content that this one has, and/or the Hulk is in clown makeup or an illusion on those pages.

Edited by J.Sid

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Frazetta painting listed.  Not a top tier one but I actually like it.

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 4.41.59 PM.png

From 1969, when he was still at the height of his powers. 

Amazing that I've never even heard of this piece.  It will be interesting to see what this goes for, because on the one hand it's pretty good, from his peak period and shows some nice female buttocks (although fairly well camoflaged), but on the other hand is not a high profile piece.

On 4/19/2021 at 9:12 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Same stuff was said in 2012, when we saw record breaking prices on the McSpidey covers and other artwork.  It was the high-water mark year for prices for a while, but we're definitely in another price boom now.   

Yup, I went on a buying spree that year. There was so much quality 90s pieces in 2012 especially from the Shamus collection. I just don’t see anything from my 90s childhood lately. It seems the higher prices aren’t bringing art to market at least the stuff I love. I’ve tried tracking down particular storylines only to find other collectors that don’t ever want to sell.