• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these keys worth it for the price?
2 2

28 posts in this topic

I’ve wanted these keys for a while, and was going to buy them raw locally. However, these local graded listings caught my eye with tremendous allure. Worth it? If so, what red flags should I look for, besides checking there CGC registration numbers? Also, I must admit i’m not intrigued by the Bishop FA as I have multiple copies raw. However, I’m pessimistic that I could get a 9.8, is that price worth it? Thanks33A0CA42-20FD-4442-8C00-827F0FF9F5F0.thumb.jpeg.f6aa9dc6e504636d0689428027d5c326.jpeg

Edited by Comic Pingu

What is your personal criteria for “worth it”?

Also, there’s something called gpa analysis that tracks sales history 

13 hours ago, Comic Pingu said:

I’ve wanted these keys for a while, and was going to buy them raw locally. However, these local graded listings caught my eye with tremendous allure. Worth it? If so, what red flags should I look for, besides checking there CGC registration numbers? Also, I must admit i’m not intrigued by the Bishop FA as I have multiple copies raw. However, I’m pessimistic that I could get a 9.8, is that price worth it? Thanks33A0CA42-20FD-4442-8C00-827F0FF9F5F0.thumb.jpeg.f6aa9dc6e504636d0689428027d5c326.jpeg

The 221 seems cheap. The 282 is a little less than ebay. I don't bother researching modern 9.6ses

Your shipping, other fees, and taxes might also be dactors

On 4/15/2021 at 8:23 PM, Comic Pingu said:

What are the numbers on 266 - 1 Billion in 9.8? (shrug)

Yeah, most books from the late 80s to mid 90s or so were printed in such ridiculously high numbers, that I would have a difficult time purchasing at the current values. Particularly X books which were hugely popular during that era. As many as are already graded, I have to think that there are many more out there in high grade that will join the census in the years to come. I would say that if you're dead set on obtaining books from this era in high grade, that you focus on newsstand editions and Canadian price variants. Because those were printed in lower numbers than the direct, and in the case of the newsstands at least, are tougher to find in high grade. 

The issue I see with old school collectors of gold, silver and bronze is they don’t see how the new blood coming in direct relate only to these mass produced late 80s early 90s stuff. These boomers are driving the market there and let’s be serious it’s becoming very difficult to buy from any period now . CGC 9.8s have exploded for keys and silver , bronze keys are way out of reach for most .

The big concern moving forward is this , if nobody can afford the market then what becomes of the market ? Collectors need to collect and will move on is my fear if priced out and we are at that tipping point now . Just an observation . I have a short list of books I want and I’m so far away from obtaining them that this may be it for me . Week after week more price hikes . It’s something I can say I’ve never seen before . 

For the record I’m not saying crash but not sure how this works moving forward. 

35 minutes ago, Subby1938 said:

The issue I see with old school collectors of gold, silver and bronze is they don’t see how the new blood coming in direct relate only to these mass produced late 80s early 90s stuff. These boomers are driving the market there and let’s be serious it’s becoming very difficult to buy from any period now . CGC 9.8s have exploded for keys and silver , bronze keys are way out of reach for most .

The big concern moving forward is this , if nobody can afford the market then what becomes of the market ? Collectors need to collect and will move on is my fear if priced out and we are at that tipping point now . Just an observation . I have a short list of books I want and I’m so far away from obtaining them that this may be it for me . Week after week more price hikes . It’s something I can say I’ve never seen before . 

What you say rings true. There is no way I'm paying current prices for silver stuff. I'm moving my focus to OA and selling my books off, hoping to strike while the iron is hot

1 hour ago, Subby1938 said:

Well, someone (actually, a LOT of someones) can afford these prices, because things keep selling. Those people just aren't you, me, or many others on here unwilling to buy into a price explosion. 

Like Yogi Berra said, "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

I personally would consider using all that money you might pay for all these incredibly common books and buying one solid cool key.  I also have found (in my long experience) if you are asking the public for advice on whether something is 'worth it' it could mean you need to do more due diligence and homework on your own to learn the hobby.  Regarding the books you just showed me - I wouldn't pay 1/2 that price if offered to me but I am nobody to you. :insane: my 2 cents. :preach:

I looked up the 3 X-Men, and the sale prices were very close to the GPA 90-Day averages. So the prices seem reasonable given the current market. 

Whether it's "worth it" is a decision you should make the same way you might make any other investment, factoring in your personal goals and an analysis of market trends.

On 4/17/2021 at 6:19 PM, chrisco37 said:

They all seem nutty to me.  A year ago, you probably couldn’t get $20 for a raw Xmen 282.

realistically it is only around $40 now

3 hours ago, Dr. Dank said:

What you say rings true. There is no way I'm paying current prices for silver stuff. I'm moving my focus to OA and selling my books off, hoping to strike while the iron is hot

yeah, because decent OA (and even not so decent) is not 800% more expensive than it was 10 years ago too. of course, "decent" is very subjective, but anything decent from guys we would have thought as of second or third tier BA artist is way up too, just not necessarily in the last year

2 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

I find getting commissions is extremely satisfying, and honestly, no more pricey than books.

OA covers are difficult sometimes, and sometimes you get lucky. 

Take this piece from Nat Jones for instance. 17x11 on artist board. Beautiful pencil and ink. 300 bucks.

Pay that for a sketch cover? Depending on the artist. Todd McFarlane? No way. 

20210422_152231.jpg

I guess. I tend to like stuff that has been published, though I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at anything. I was big on OA like 15 years ago, but, unfortunately, had to sell a lot of my best stuff about 7-10 years ago to pay bills. I still have a lot, but the kirby, starlin, buscema, colon and others got sold.