• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these keys worth it for the price?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, the blob said:

I guess. I tend to like stuff that has been published, though I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at anything. I was big on OA like 15 years ago, but, unfortunately, had to sell a lot of my best stuff about 7-10 years ago to pay bills. I still have a lot, but the kirby, starlin, buscema, colon and others got sold. 

Truly sorry to hear that.

I've refrained from letting myself think I can get original pages from early xmen, spiderman ect. Instead I'm trying to get early Image covers from Kieth, Beauvais, Warner and the like.

On 4/23/2021 at 6:57 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

A grade bump and they all become interesting, well maybe not the two X-men that graded 9.8 already 

it is weird, i think the distinctions between 9.6 and 9.8 are probably imaginary 50% of the time and am not obsessed with it for raw books, but when I am plopping down money on modern slabs on the few books I am interested in, I want a 9.8..... move me to the BA and most CA and I don't care as much (basically because I am looking to pay value of raw + cost of slabbing)...

1 minute ago, the blob said:

it is weird, i think the distinctions between 9.6 and 9.8 are probably imaginary 50% of the time and am not obsessed with it for raw books, but when I am plopping down money on modern slabs on the few books I am interested in, I want a 9.8..... move me to the BA and most CA and I don't care as much (basically because I am looking to pay value of raw + cost of slabbing)...

Agreed 100% if it's modern. And it's strange there isn't much difference between 9.8 and 9.6 and if you enlarge those photos of the corners and spine you took of your 9.8 you'll think it's a 5.5. The difference between.9.8 and 9.6 in terms of value is considerable. When it comes to moderns I'm buying the grade as much as I'm buying the book

On 4/22/2021 at 12:56 PM, Subby1938 said:

The issue I see with old school collectors of gold, silver and bronze is they don’t see how the new blood coming in direct relate only to these mass produced late 80s early 90s stuff. These boomers are driving the market there and let’s be serious it’s becoming very difficult to buy from any period now . CGC 9.8s have exploded for keys and silver , bronze keys are way out of reach for most .

The big concern moving forward is this , if nobody can afford the market then what becomes of the market ? Collectors need to collect and will move on is my fear if priced out and we are at that tipping point now . Just an observation . I have a short list of books I want and I’m so far away from obtaining them that this may be it for me . Week after week more price hikes . It’s something I can say I’ve never seen before . 

For the record I’m not saying crash but not sure how this works moving forward. 

I definitely understand your concern, and feel that it's a common one, but I don't think the takeaway from what's going on is that "nobody will be able to afford the market". Consumer demand drives market prices, and right now we're seeing how historically high demand is.  What will happen moving forward is that collectors will adapt - there will likely be a day in the near future where owning NM 98 or UXM 266 in CGC 4.5 or 5.0 will be just fine for many collectors.  

I remember IH 181 shopping about 10 years ago - I really only wanted a "nice" copy - 9.0+ (lol), and my budget was about $1200.  I didn't pull the trigger on anything because I couldn't find the right copy within my budget and didn't want to feel like I was "overpaying".  Well, we know how far that $1200 would go these days, and I'm now hoping to eventually pick up a well-presenting copy in the 4.5-5.0 range :).

I agree with you but those issues from late 80s and 90s are way more plentiful so I’m not sure that hikes will affect low grades but who knows . I haven’t completely accepted how big this comic thing has become . I’ve been a part of it my whole life and now mainstream publicity has brought this thing to all time highs . Very cool to watch .