• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PMG X-men 4
2 2

13 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, MPH1964 said:

Are those holes down the length the spine?  The spine also appears to be split at the top and bottom...

I think they are holes.  Never realized it until I took the pictures.  How does that affect the grading?

4 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

Big key, valuable, will look nice after grading , will be safe an secure in slab

One HOPES so. All these stories are coming out concerning books taking hits as Tor tries to cram books into a slab and damages the book. Or the book falls into the well of the slab and gets its butt kicked. Yow!

The book itself right now is probably 5.5. I'd put it in a toploader or mylar. Not sending my books out until these stories stop.

3 hours ago, Karmichael27 said:

I think they are holes.  Never realized it until I took the pictures.  How does that affect the grading?

Huge hit if that cover falls off, and it doesn't look like much is holding it together.  The spine splits are going to drive the grade down some.   (See picture below where I highlighted some of the splits.)

So just a couple of tips:  1) Don't open this book anymore or, if you must, don't open it past 90°.  I personally don't like opening them much past 45°.  2) If you are considering getting this pressed (I don't see the need for this particular book) I would definitely get a second opinion of a pressing expert, given the potential fragility of the spine.

The book presents well and looks like a 4.5/5.0 but if the spine is as fragile as I think it is, maybe this grades out at 3.0/3.5...  Are an accumulation of spine splits additive?  Any other opinions? 

image.thumb.png.ec821dae2c60e16617d3cae464f632d6.png