• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

3,014 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2021 at 10:13 AM, Straw-Man said:

i'm the rare geek who finds the okajima underwhelming; i lean more to the quality of books within peds as opposed to their backstory, so it's nowhere near "top 2 or 3" for me.

I was referencing the story.  In terms of quality, yeah, no doubt, Okajima is closer to bottom 2 or 3.

On 9/1/2021 at 9:39 AM, eschnit said:

I was referencing the story.  In terms of quality, yeah, no doubt, Okajima is closer to bottom 2 or 3.

For me there are two kinds of stories: (1) the backstory on the OO who put the collection together and (2) the backstory on the discovery and significance of the collection after it was discovered.  The former are what matter most to me and the backstory on the dealer discovery doesn't enhance the value of a comic for me - with the notable exception of the MH story because in terms of comic book history that collection is pivotal.

So for the OO backstory, I agree Okajima is the best.

But, for some of these other OO stories, I think we have to wait for the full and actual truth to come out before we can really gauge them.  

On 8/28/2021 at 11:24 AM, buttock said:

The only possible justification for that grade is that most of what looks like creasing is actually just linear color loss from the printing process (seen that a few times).  I'm not saying that it is or isn't, but that's the only way I can see them reasonably giving that book an 8.5.  Otherwise... :eek:

Regardless, it's not an attractive book for the grade.  

That is what I assume it is, printing defect. And yes, not the prettiest book in the box. 

On 9/1/2021 at 9:13 AM, Straw-Man said:

i'm the rare geek who finds the okajima underwhelming; i lean more to the quality of books within peds as opposed to their backstory, so it's nowhere near "top 2 or 3" for me.

I think the Okajima story is great, but not 4000% markup great.  Couple hundred bucks extra, sure.  

On 5/25/2021 at 1:18 AM, Aman619 said:

Okajimas do have a compelling back story. Compared to the rest, they have real world consequences (although Reillys and Promise do too).  As for the little girl, a surprising aspect Ive learned about life in the cams is that it was generational in impact.  By that I mean that older Japanese Americans were hurt most. Adults too. Having been born here as Americans, and only lived here, it was bewildering and humiliating.  However for the kids it was a different story. Especially younger kids.  This was just their life. You had to be older and lost your way of life, and house and possessions to have been deeply impacted. The kids were just like all kids, finding things to do, playing, and they had their families with them.  When talk of reparations comes up within the Japanese communities, it is also generational.  The people who were kids then just don't feel so slighted, and want to move on while their parents are still angry!  This puts a strain on them because the elders are dying out and if the kids don't care to fight for justice (their homes were forfeited! businesses gone) justice will never come.

anyway, Great story: so watch the movies, read the books and bios.  Whats it got to do with which copy to add yo your collection?  

Though it is cool to have Pedigree copies. I left out one factor in my decision making, I may pay a higher Pedigree price if Im confident that OTHERS will want to as well when Im ready to let them go.  But, in the first years of CGC, the grade was a leveling of Pedigree importance.  Before independent grading, you bought the Pedigree copy over a no name copy because it had added significance = value in the hobby.  When no name copies showed up in higher grades, they were more desirable.  Theres been somewhat of a resurgence in Pedigree copies, even lesser grades.. which is a surprising show of strength!

It is a little surprising. I don't care about pedigrees too much aside from wanting to acquire one example of each GA pedigree (possibly excluding the ones with mediocre page quality, like Denver).

I would always rather have a non-ped if the pages are nicer or if the page quality is the same and the grade is higher.

On 5/4/2021 at 10:39 AM, Robot Man said:

It’s all about her eyes... Yes, there is also the obvious but that look does it for me...

Re. PL17: I wish you hadn't said that. The more I gaze into her eyes, the more I'm tempted to add that book to my want list—which could prove costly.

On 9/1/2021 at 4:33 PM, buttock said:

I think the Okajima story is great, but not 4000% markup great.  Couple hundred bucks extra, sure.  

What if we found out the story was 100% made up and completely false? Would it negate the value of the comic? You still have a fresh 9.6 book? That aspect hasn’t changed!

Everybody loves a good story, but what is a story worth? After all, it’s only a story! Sometimes the comics speak for themselves. Sometimes that’s enough. A story isn’t needed or required to sell the comics.

On 11/6/2021 at 10:33 AM, Timely said:

What if we found out the story was 100% made up and completely false? Would it negate the value of the comic? You still have a fresh 9.6 book? That aspect hasn’t changed!

Everybody loves a good story, but what is a story worth? After all, it’s only a story! Sometimes the comics speak for themselves. Sometimes that’s enough. A story isn’t needed or required to sell the comics.

For me, the Okajima story is good, but not good enough to make up for the writing on the cover. I may be one of the only collectors who would rather have a NON-camp example for my collection.

On 11/6/2021 at 9:33 AM, Timely said:

If the story turns out to be a whopper it negates the reason for purchasing books from that collection at a premium.  A good story isn't required to sell, although the better the story the more intriguing the pedigree and higher the value placed on it.  The elephant in the room is always going to be the grade and how that's perceived.  Regardless of the pedigree status higher/highest grades are unlikely to be cracked out, much less contested.  In the long run, whether a book is a fresh 9.6 or fresh something else reflects on the integrity of the grading process.  That's why high graded GA should be rare and look the part in every way. 

On 11/6/2021 at 3:58 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

For me, the Okajima story is good, but not good enough to make up for the writing on the cover. I may be one of the only collectors who would rather have a NON-camp example for my collection.

The internment camp story is unique and a real attention grabber for some pedigree collectors given the portrayal of Japanese in WWII era comics.  I also get where you're coming from preferring books with less writing on the cover.

On 4/9/2022 at 10:01 PM, tth2 said:

How time flies when you're having fun!

It's hard to believe it's been almost a year since Gary first broke the news about the Promise collection in the GA Forum.

True, it's been a year since everyone's been going broke after the Promise Collection news! 

It'll end up being about a year of steady selling in Signature auctions and weekly auctions to sell all of the Promise books (I believe this was the last Signature auction to feature first-time Promises, any others going forward in Signatures will be re-sales). 

Can you imagine what it would be like to sell the much larger Church collection if it was being brought to market now?!  It'd probably be a 3- or 4-year exercise.  

On 4/10/2022 at 7:55 PM, tth2 said:

It'll end up being about a year of steady selling in Signature auctions and weekly auctions to sell all of the Promise books (I believe this was the last Signature auction to feature first-time Promises, any others going forward in Signatures will be re-sales). 

Can you imagine what it would be like to sell the much larger Church collection if it was being brought to market now?!  It'd probably be a 3- or 4-year exercise.  

And how much would the entire collection add up to after all books sold in today's market :whatthe::whatthe::flipbait:

Everyone would be living in Broke Back Mountain if that were the case lol