• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Asking Bronze Experts: Why no love for Superman 233?
1 1

46 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, the blob said:

The 9.0 233 is listed for what 8.5 227s sell for. Have not idea if that is just hope though 

so you're saying I should raise my price? :) Fine, now it's $1500. 

Edited by SuperBird

10 hours ago, PovertyRow said:

Good god you must be very young to think this. Superman has had non stop presence since 1938 covering comic books, newspaper comic strips, cartoons, radio programs, movies and tv shows. Hell there is even a new Superman TV show on CW right now. Where is the current Spiderman TV show? No way Spiderman had had half the exposure Supes has had! 

I've responded to Spiderman being more recognized worldwide than Superman.

You're taking about presence, which is a different matter.

And if you think that I am very young, then I happily accept your compliment.  :blush:

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

And if you think that I am very young, then I happily accept your compliment.  :blush:

To paraphrase, “With greater presence comes greater recognition.” :foryou:

2 hours ago, SuperBird said:

Fine, now it's $1500

Haha. I thought you were kidding until I checked the listing! Let us know how much this goes for when it sells. You may want to put the words "key" and "newsstand" in the title with some flame emojis to increase the odds of receiving asking. :) You may inadvertently set a new price floor for the book!

12 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I think if Spider-Man were actually more recognized, people would be getting his name right.

I’m not a huge dc guy but am I the only one who thinks the Batman 227 cover is a hell of a lot better than the Superman 233 cover?  I understand if you like Superman as you’re favorite hero, but I find the 233 cover to be utter garbage with the mis proportions and the colors.  Not trying to be mean, but I find no interest in that cover whatsoever 

3 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

I’m not a huge dc guy but am I the only one who thinks the Batman 227 cover is a hell of a lot better than the Superman 233 cover?  I understand if you like Superman as you’re favorite hero, but I find the 233 cover to be utter garbage with the mis proportions and the colors.  Not trying to be mean, but I find no interest in that cover whatsoever 

blocked. 

I like the cover to S233. And Bat227. The long leg thing I hadn't really noticed. I used to take grief from people when I drew as well. "Why is his HAND SO BIG? Because, you insufficiently_thoughtful_person. He is reaching TOWARD you. Why is MY hand so big when I reach for your face? "Ohhhhh. I GET it NOW! Tee hee!"

S233 SHOULD be a key. It is to a certain degree. It has a great cover - although Adams has said he doesn't understand why because he did it quickly and people keep bringing it up to him and he wishes they would just get over it but he knows they won't so he sighs and tells them he didn't put his heart and soul into the drawing just got an idea what the editor wanted and went ahead and did it even explaining people focus on the leg but Superman wouldn't have enough chest area to be able to expand his chest like that to break chains and I mean it isn't like he is one of the Three Chinese Boys who could suck a lake into his cheeks  and no one ever notices the area under Superman's left arm where he is nearly a hunchback and no offense meant toward humpbacks but come ON it's pretty obvious but he is glad people like it and sure I'll sign your copy $60 please.

For YEARS, I assumed Superman wasn't breaking chains with his chest. I assumed He was BOUND in chains and he simply extended his arms like one would breaking out of a straight jacket. I like the book. It was the beginning of the Sand Superman story which was always better than the Bizzaro "Hello Meand Goodbye" thing from the 1950's. Denny O'Neil wrote the stories as well. They didn't go very far. 9(?) issues I think?

233 is a sleeper key. At some point, collectors will trip over themselves trying to get one. I have a graded 8.5 SS one. It's currently for sale for $8,000 if you know anybody. I'll cut you in for 10%.

6 hours ago, rckstr1253 said:

To be clear, I love both (and own) both books (227 in an 8.5, 233 in a 9.0), it's just that aside from the cover, 233 seems to have a lot more going for it: a) more recognized by people outside the collecting community; b) arguably the definitive BA Superman issue without the cover; c) less copies in the registry than 227. Also, I didn't mean for this to become a 233 vs 227 thread - I simply chose 227 as an example of a book against which to compare 233's monetary value. I just generally feel that 233 is significantly undervalued in today's market.

22 minutes ago, Kripsys99 said:

To be clear, I love both (and own) both books (227 in an 8.5, 233 in a 9.0), it's just that aside from the cover, 233 seems to have a lot more going for it: a) more recognized by people outside the collecting community; b) arguably the definitive BA Superman issue without the cover; c) less copies in the registry than 227. Also, I didn't mean for this to become a 233 vs 227 thread - I simply chose 227 as an example of a book against which to compare 233's monetary value. I just generally feel that 233 is significantly undervalued in today's market.

You're right. I'm raising my asking price to $1750.