• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Asking Bronze Experts: Why no love for Superman 233?
1 1

46 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2021 at 6:56 PM, BabyAteMyDingo said:

Superman 233 ought to be in any respectable bronze age collection. Get 'em while they are still "reasonable".

I gave my raw copy away in the 1st secret Santa on the boards along with a marvel treasury among other stuff.

I was figuring I'd always upgrade, as it was only a 3.0, but opportunity doesnt arrive all that much! :shy:

On 8/18/2021 at 8:04 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I gave my raw copy away in the 1st secret Santa on the boards along with a marvel treasury among other stuff.

I was figuring I'd always upgrade, as it was only a 3.0, but opportunity doesn't arrive all that much! :shy:

Well, that was very nice of you to do that. I'm sure karma has paid you back many times.

I thought I saw a post of yours that featured a signed and remarked game insert or something to that effect. Fortune favors the kind hearted!

On 4/18/2021 at 11:37 AM, Kripsys99 said:

First off, I realize that in terms of Bronze superhero comic values it tends to go Marvel...(big drop-off)...Batman......(massive drop-off).......the rest of DC :(

Secondly, I am by no means an unbiased observer - Superman is my guy, and Superman 233 is my all-time favorite comic cover. Just look at my profile picture.

But I just can't reconcile the value of Superman 233 with the values being attributed to other Bronze Age comics right now. 

Comparing 233, for example, to Batman 227 (which I also own a copy of) - both have classic Neal Adams homage covers - but 233's is recognizable even to people outside the collecting community - and even without the cover, may be the definitive Superman comic of the Bronze Age. Meanwhile, 227 - without the cover - is an entirely forgettable Bronze Age story.

There are also only about 900 copies of Superman 233 in the registry...

Screenshot_20210418-113306.thumb.png.5c2fd8c8b2dca5a9cb7c2c8f662c4158.png

...compared with over 1500 copies of Batman 227, and both are comparably rare in high grade:

66404854_Screenshot_20210418-1132412.thumb.png.2b8909107f23efd74f91ce4cc930281c.png

Has my love of Superman blinded me to something? What am I missing?

Funny how people owning a book tends to say it should be more expensive while comics not owned should be cheaper(:

On 8/18/2021 at 8:21 PM, Namtak said:

Funny how people owning a book tends to say it should be more expensive while comics not owned should be cheaper(:

Is it the same paradigm that says own a book for 20 years and it doesn't increase in value, sell it and it explodes in value the next day?

On 4/18/2021 at 12:30 PM, Kripsys99 said:

Possibly, though I doubt it. Personal opinions not withstanding, even in the USA - where Marvel movies reign supreme - Superman has consistently remained the most recognized and most popular superhero, even recently (though Spiderman now ranks a very close second):

https://nypost.com/2020/03/11/americans-reveal-their-favorite-superhero/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/989799/most-recognizable-superheros-us/

And that's despite a dearth of quality Superman movies for the last few decades.

I get Superman isn't your cup of tea, but I think the above data shows that a lack of popularity of the characters themselves is unlikely to fully account for the difference in value between, for instance, Superman#233 and Batman#227.

One thing I can guarantee is true of those polls is that 99%+ of respondents do not buy vintage comic books.  And there is the heart of the issue.  Regardless of who is more "recognizable" or "favorite" to the average person on the street, among people who actually pay money for certified vintage comics, Batman far outsells Superman (Action #1 aside).